How much would you spend on a turntable?

Back in the good old days I thought a £500 turntable would be the end of the line.

We regularly see them going for many thousands and even WHFSAV are reviewing items in the region of £6000.

Upgraditius is upon me and I have my heart set on a second hand SME but I'm not entirely sure I can justify the outlay even though most of my 'serious' listening is with vinyl.

I got my turntable and arm second-hand but I was just wondering what you forumees would now consider to be your upper limit on spending on a new turntable and what you would actually buy.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well my ultimate desire is a Gyrodec SE with an SME IV arm - this comes in at over £3000 without a cart.

More than likely I will start with an RB303 arm to get me going.

When you compare the Gyrodec/SME IV to similar priced RP10 I can never see myself giving my cash to the boys from Southend-on-Sea

Always fancied a Gyrodec myself or maybe an Orbe.

The IV is 70% 0f the V at a much reduced price, I think the newer SME 309 would suit the Gyrodec as well though admittedly have not heard this particular combination. Have even seen the 309 fitted to a Technics SL1200 and they are supposed to be a good combo.

Was seriously looking at a new Origin Live turntable to go with my arm some time ago but they have seen a significant price-hike of late which I find hard to understand in this economic climate.

Appreciated. Would have to go miles to find any dealer that could put forward the same to audition but maybe would not have to go down that route. I've had mates with Gyrodecs and mates with IV's atteched to whatever. The pure quality of the SME arms make me wonder why it is worth spending more. I've heard the V on an SME 30/2 deck but not convinced it is worth the extra over a well set up IV.

Apart from an upgrades Origin Live arm I think I would head down that route.

It was the turntable itself I was looking at and I can't quite stretch to a Dr Feickert Analogue Woodpecker. :)

That I might consider (£1100), however turntable / arm combos are the hardest items to actually audition.

You are very much having to buy on faith these days, hence my origin posted question.

I know people spend a lot more purely on other's appraisals of these combos, without a hope of ever listening to them themselves.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If I had the space and money, a rebuilt Garrard 301 or 401 with slate plinth,SME arm and probably stick with my Sumiko Celebration . . . I've watched at a couple on fleBay . . . :?

CJSF

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
If I had the space and money, a rebuilt Garrard 301 or 401 with slate plinth,SME arm and probably stick with my Sumiko Celebration . . . I've watched at a couple on fleBay . . . :? CJSF

The slate plinth sounds really good! SME arm too !!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Was seriously looking at a new Origin Live turntable to go with my arm some time ago but they have seen a significant price-hike of late which I find hard to understand in this economic climate.

I heard one just after New Year at Rayleigh Hi-Fi with some big Focals and what I think was a tube amp (can't remember now, I think the total system was about £18k), did sound amazing, but I don't really have anything to compare it to as I've never really listened to that kind of level of gear before.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
CJSF said:
If I had the space and money, a rebuilt Garrard 301 or 401 with slate plinth,SME arm and probably stick with my Sumiko Celebration . . . I've watched at a couple on fleBay . . . :? CJSF

The slate plinth sounds really good! SME arm too !!

Yes Steve, I have heard the combination over a long afternoon, evening listening session, magic sound, thats the old 309 SME arm too, with the removable headshell. Trouble is, if I had a removable headshell, I would be for ever hankering after 'trying and buying' different catridges. :wall:

Alternative, put the Rega works in a slate plinth, full ceramic bearing system, machined sub, twin belts, I've worked out a motor isolation option, 12" SME, and of course incrporate my cartridge isilation system (foam and wood) that I curently use . . . the juces are rising again . . . no money, down boy!

CJSF

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:

Ditto.

regards

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:
Excuse my ignorance, but were those Garrards that good? I'd always associated Garrards with record players, or low end Sp 25's...

They were / are that good. Do not confused with the likes of the SP25. :)

Interesting, I had no idea. I actually had an SP25 Mk iii. At the time, I thought it was the biz :)

Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:
Excuse my ignorance, but were those Garrards that good? I'd always associated Garrards with record players, or low end Sp 25's...

Interesting, I had no idea. I actually had an SP25 Mk iii. At the time, I thought it was the biz :)

Maybe it was, who knows. The fact that the 301's / 401's, ancient though they may be, are still making three-figure sums on fleabay should tell everyone something. :)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:

Maybe it was, who knows. The fact that the 301's / 401's, ancient though they may be, are still making three-figure sums on fleabay should tell everyone something. :)

Ahh, but can you stack up singles on it? I'll get me coat..... :grin:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Lost Angeles said:
I reckon you need to cost in a Phono Stage as well if you want a true cost.

Was that directed at CJSF??

For this thread Al ears, phono stage, step up transformers, pre-amp, MM/MC cartridge, valves and the like are not significant, fortunately keeping it simple, it only asks how much on a TT?? 8)

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts