How much would you spend on a turntable and phono stage ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Hiya Dave :)

I totally agree, there's nothing quite like live music. I was merely comparing CD to vinyl. Both formats can't convey the presence of live music, one has to 'be there'...

Speak for yourselves. My system sounds vaguely like a live performance, or a set of live performances separately recorded in booths and blended together with a few production effects. How much like a live performance depends on the recording, the playback volume and how fussy you want to be on how close it sounds to a live performance.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
NHL said:
Have

AT MC cartridge: 500 Euro

Leema Elememts Phono: 500 Euro

Rega RP3: 700 Euro

All in all: 1700 Euro, yes it is worth it! No DAC can compete, sonic wise.

Rest assured, they can.

Then, suggest a worthy DAC contender, Sir!

T

the record spot

The ones in my current CD player, amp, universal player to name but three.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
The ones in my current CD player, amp, universal player to name but three.

Are you serious?

Attended a live concert with very skilled musicians, one month ago. The concert took place in a concert hall, specially built to have as good sonic capabilities as possible. If I would categorize the sound, I would say it was very vinyl and not at all sounding like anything a DAC output.

T

the record spot

Of course I'm serious, why wouldn't I be? I think your points of reference are rather "out" by the way. What, additionally, makes you think my setup can't convey the ambience of a recording? How would you know? Clearly you can't, and your appreciation appears to be the old vinyl is warm and digital is cold all over again. That was kicked into the turf long ago.

T

the record spot

Not the point as that's not my ultimate point of reference. What's yours?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Freddy58 said:
Hiya Dave :)

I totally agree, there's nothing quite like live music. I was merely comparing CD to vinyl. Both formats can't convey the presence of live music, one has to 'be there'...

Speak for yourselves. My system sounds vaguely like a live performance, or a set of live performances separately recorded in booths and blended together with a few production effects. How much like a live performance depends on the recording, the playback volume and how fussy you want to be on how close it sounds to a live performance.

This, hi-fi, is a hobby and people like to push for the best performance they can get, within the limits of space, cost etc.

Of course peoples ideas of what is 'best' will vary and the techniques that they use to get there will vary just as much.

As a simple example, I think it is fair to say (without getting too specific) that we both like our music reproduced to sound as 'live' as possible and that leads us both towards a certain 'style' of reproduction. However we differ in the ways we choose to try and achieve that end, your preference for vintage equipment compared to my use of modern 'studio' type active speakers.

Good live recordings can sound very real on such equioment, but commercial recordings of this type are extremely rare and most 'live' recordings of pop and rock music are just as artificial as the studio productions you allude to above.

That said, i am a big fan of live recordings, for what I will describe as 'artistic' reasons

xlider

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Well. That turned into quite a debate... Actually, there are some records I want to listen to, because those were the ones that made my heart tick when I was younger. Don't want to be disappointed when I first turn them on :)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy, stop it! A good song or piece of music sounds good whatever doesn't it? The Beatles records sounded good on tinny transistor radios in the 60's. This whole debate spirals into huge amounts of money and mansions. Well, most of us haven't got these things so we buy what we can afford and what we prefer, records or cds. These days I can actually hear the bass player on cds and records: that's a huge leap forward from when I was a young jumbucky. Don't get involved in this perfect sound business: it'll drive you 'round the bend.

Hiya Jim.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Where have I advocated spending lots of money? All I was trying to say was that, to me, there are different characteristics between CD and vinyl. Why do you find that so controversial?

musical0111

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
NHL said:
Have

Rest assured, they can.
agreed,, i prefer my dac sound to my expensive turntable set up ,i now find vinyl to cumbersome to use and keep clean and free of dust.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy, stop it! A good song or piece of music sounds good whatever doesn't it? The Beatles records sounded good on tinny transistor radios in the 60's. This whole debate spirals into huge amounts of money and mansions. Well, most of us haven't got these things so we buy what we can afford and what we prefer, records or cds. These days I can actually hear the bass player on cds and records: that's a huge leap forward from when I was a young jumbucky. Don't get involved in this perfect sound business: it'll drive you 'round the bend.

Hiya Jim.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Where have I advocated spending lots of money? All I was trying to say was that, to me, there are different characteristics between CD and vinyl. Why do you find that so controversial?

I don't find it controversial:you're right, there are different characteristics. I just thought you were worrying about it rather too much.and that defeats the object which is enjoying music. These debates rage on and on and everybody has opinions so ignore them and come to your own conclusions. as you well know, there's more to listening to records than the quality of the sound coming from the blessed equipment. It's where your head's at, man, so don't let that head be full of worry. Sorry if I annoyed you; it wasn't my intention.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

Hiya Jim.

I don't find it controversial:you're right, there are different characteristics. I just thought you were worrying about it rather too much.and that defeats the object which is enjoying music. These debates rage on and on and everybody has opinions so ignore them and come to your own conclusions. as you well know, there's more to listening to records than the quality of the sound coming from the blessed equipment. It's where your head's at, man, so don't let that head be full of worry. Sorry if I annoyed you; it wasn't my intention.

Hiya Jim
smiley-smile.gif

I'm not worried at all. I do think though that my comments have been misinterpreted, and I find that a bit frustrating. First and foremost, I'm a music lover, always have been, always will be. HiFi is just a means to an end, to listen to and enjoy music. I started off listening to music on an HMV record that I got for a birthday in 1964, loved that old record player :)

Cheers...Freddy

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

Hiya Jim.

Hiya Jim
smiley-smile.gif

loved that old record player :)

Cheers...Freddy

Hi Freddy

That's more like it! Now go and listen to 'Moonchild' again and tell me it's beautiful. :)

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
musical0111 said:
the record spot said:
NHL said:
Have

Rest assured, they can.
agreed,, i prefer my dac sound to my expensive turntable set up ,i now find vinyl to cumbersome to use and keep clean and free of dust.

Once again, which DAC is that?

Cheers

musical0111

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
NHL said:
musical0111 said:
the record spot said:
NHL said:
Have

Rest assured, they can.

Once again, which DAC is that?

Cheers
i have the use of two dacs musical fiidelity m1 dac and the naim dac- v1, both very capable dacs for the money the naim wins on sound quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts