How much would you spend on a turntable?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
sounds really interesting - surely not that much to get a piece of slate made up the same size as a rega plinth

From what I have been told, it looks like a grand or so??? Plus one would need machining, a lot of suck it and see'ing :? Not got the money or the inclination these days. If I cant do it myself, its a non starter, unless someone out-there with the skills and facilities to turn my ideas into reality, and be prepared for some disappointments?

Remember Steve, my Rega P5, is very much a 'non slate' version of what I have in mind. The plinth is much modified, as is the glass platter, The big changes, steps forward from where I am now by using slate, is the motor mounting and the use of an arm board . . . ???? All pipe dreams?

As has been mentioned, a Garrard/SME does not need a slate plinth, there are wood versions out there, as are there Rega mods., with solid 2" wood plinths. There is my own P5, the original plinth lending itself to modification, no need for fancy machining. The original glass platter now modified incorporates a flywheel mass of 3.2kg,, three of those kgs' are isolated from the cartridge, which in turn is isolated from the Audio Mods arm.

Despite all that, where would a slate Rega take us, thinking about it, its a concept, it could no longer be called a Rega? . . . I dont know anyone who has tried slate so we dont know. Even if they have, 'did they/have they' considered the various options like arm/motor/bearing mounts . . . the same applies to the wood and acrylic options, a whole new can of worms . . . ?

Something for those inclined to get the head around . . . ?

CJSF

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
Upper limit? In excess of £10k. If you are serious about LPs.

I am very serious about LP's and 12" singles.

£100 (plus mods) to £4000 (no mods required) is enough to buy you one of the best sounding turntables ever made. I paid £2250 for my EMT 950 five years ago.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Lost Angeles said:
I reckon you need to cost in a Phono Stage as well if you want a true cost.

Was that directed at CJSF??

Sorry, no, I was trying to make the point probably poorly that the true cost of a TT needs to include the Phone stage which can be overlooked.

I was out all day yesterday hence the late reply.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Al ears said:
Lost Angeles said:
I reckon you need to cost in a Phono Stage as well if you want a true cost.

Was that directed at CJSF??

Sorry, no, I was trying to make the point probably poorly that the true cost of a TT needs to include the Phone stage which can be overlooked.

I was out all day yesterday hence the late reply.

Thats only if one does not have suitable matching ancillary kit . . . I did not take the post personally, and in any case my phono stage, amp etc is more than adequate for a quality TT front end. Would be 'nice' to upgrade the ancillary stuff, I have a hankering for the EAR M/C phono stage and a move to the top of the range Sumiko would be nice . . . but is only a maybe type thought, if I had nothing better to spend my money on?

The TT I have serves very well indeed, satisfyingly upgraded and modified by myself over the two years I have owned the original P5, bought as an ex dem model. With the title of the thread in mind, my P5 has cost me £1695.00, in total, that includes the cartridge and arm. So 'thats what I'm prepared to spend on a TT'. That does not include any adjustment I might recoup with the sale of the replaced items, I haven't sold any . . . !

Of course there is more to a good sound than just a fancy TT, things like quality amplification, M/C transformers, personal opinion; an essential for M/C cartridges. A 'valve' phono stage, again essential IMHO, even if you play into a SS amplifier?

In my case, even the TT support was a DIY recycle job made from an old open back cottage type arm chair, looks great does a superb job, did not cost me a penny.

All food for though and a new thread?

Sitting back enjoying Jeff Becks at the moment.

CJSF

Certainly wouldn't spend anymore than a £1000 (new RRP), so a midrange Pro-ject, Rega RP6 or a s/hand ClearAudio are the only feasible choices. The main reason being is I can't justify spending more on a source that has an equal share with CDP and FM radio.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Certainly wouldn't spend anymore than a £1000 (new RRP), so a midrange Pro-ject, Rega RP6 or a s/hand ClearAudio are the only feasible choices. The main reason being is I can't justify spending more on a source that has an equal share with CDP and FM radio.

Thats understandable PP

I cannot stomach ever investing on my my digital end as 95% of my listening is vinyl - so this where and future funds will be going in this area & possibly speakers (Kudos)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

The beauty from my point of view PP, is that my cost has been spread over 24 months. Makes the expense much more bearable, as well as the satisfaction of achieving a goal; 'that is my sound, I did it my way ' . . . 8)

The way I think at the moment, there is little I want to do now, to TT or the system as a whole, its satisfies me. I can dream, but thats where it stops?

CJSF

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:

Thats understandable PP

I cannot stomach ever investing on my my digital end as 95% of my listening is vinyl - so this where and future funds will be going in this area & possibly speakers (Kudos)

Exactly my point. I haven't spun any black stuff for over a week, whereas the radio has been a constant. Then again, I can go two weeks of playing nothing but records... I blow hot and cold with vinyl.

I call it the 'Hi-Fi shift'. ;)

Freddy58 said:
Excuse my ignorance, but were those Garrards that good? I'd always associated Garrards with record players, or low end Sp 25's...

I've owned two - the paupers SP25 MKV and even cheaper B20. Between them I had for 10 years and they were excellent for the price. You'll hear some people cry "I worked at a Garrard dealers and 25,000 new units were returned each week blah blah blah..."

Yes, they were fitted to a load of record players/music centres but they also made fabulous TTs on their own terms.

Here's my Garrard B20 still with the original Ortofon cart. It's still in the loft today.

7567344716_553f681c52_n.jpg

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
:shhh:
Al ears said:
[ The fact that the 301's / 401's, ancient though they may be, are still making three-figure sums on fleabay should tell everyone something. :)

Well, it certainly tells you that once the Far Eastern buyers get an idea into their heads, they pursue it to the ultimate (silly prices, as with LS3/5as).

I found it hard to remove the rumble and other anomalies from the 301 or 401. 301 has a sweeter top-end, 401 is overall better but neither is as good as a top modern deck like the SME 10, Rega RP* or LP12 (latest form). In my very humble opinion. :shhh:

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
Al ears said:
[ The fact that the 301's / 401's, ancient though they may be, are still making three-figure sums on fleabay should tell everyone something. :)

Well, it certainly tells you that once the Far Eastern buyers get an idea into their heads, they pursue it to the ultimate (silly prices, as with LS3/5as).

I found it hard to remove the rumble and other anomalies from the 301 or 401. 301 has a sweeter top-end, 401 is overall better but neither is as good as a top modern deck like the SME 10, Rega RP* or LP12 (latest form). In my very humble opinion. :shhh:

Just for the record I have never heard any of the so-called Garrard anomalies in 15 years of listening. I really don't know what people have done wrong when I read about it.

Tear Drop said:
jerry klinger said:
Al ears said:

Just for the record I have never heard any of the so-called Garrard anomalies in 15 years of listening. I really don't know what people have done wrong when I read about it.

Rim-drives have always had the 'rumble' association. It's the way they are driven that causes it and it is well documented. What other 'anamolies' he refers to I am not sure of.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Rim-drives have always had the 'rumble' association. It's the way they are driven that causes it and it is well documented. What other 'anamolies' he refers to I am not sure of.

... just the fact that you have to mount them and possibly tweak them in certain ways to bring the sound up-to-date.

I should add some heavy cred here (man) - bought my first Garrard in the 1970s - a 4HF, much-loved till it fell apart.

jerry klinger said:
Al ears said:

... just the fact that you have to mount them and possibly tweak them in certain ways to bring the sound up-to-date.

I should add some heavy cred here (man) - bought my first Garrard in the 1970s - a 4HF, much-loved till it fell apart.

Fell apart? A Garrard? Surely not. :)

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
In theory I could just keep getting bits for my rp1 new cart, new belt already. Then new plinth, 24v motor therefore new psu, new tonearm then even a new wooden base.

iceman16

Have'nt read the whole discussion but IME as a previous Gyro se owner, setting up the deck is the most important followed by the arm, cartridge(again alignment) and phonostage.. Isolation is also very important!

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the Rega RP8 with Apehta cartrige, through Graham slee elavator and Graham Slee MM Phono stage £3.5K well spent but I think this is my limit now.

Lee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts