How much time until burn occurs on a Plasma?

mlamb64150

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
OK, on rcommendation of the mag I purchased the Panasonic TH42PX70, it's been grat, I adore it, no problems.

Last night I got to watching a DVD (upscaled nicely via my PS3) but ended up falling asleep before it finished. I awake up 4 hours later and the DVD is replaying the DVD Menu over and over again and the menu has a static image. So imagine my horror when I turn off the PS3 I can still see the outline of this image in the screen! Nooooooooooooooo! I decide to sleep on it and see if it's still there in the morning and it was (albeit very faint), I was bicking it at this point, however having watched some TV for a few hours I can no longer see it so I hope it's somehow faded away.

I would have thought that 4 hours was a short time for burn to occur, especially on such a modern model. What's the theory on this folks?

Matt

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's not a permanent burn, but just some temporary image retention.

Screen burn rarely happens to plasmas in normal domestic use - but have a look at the timetable screens in an airport or railway station when the system goes down and you'll see what screen burn really can do.

The timetable headers there are burnt in for good!

A

Anonymous

My view is it will fade over the following few days with varied use.

Does the Panasonic have a White Screen setting to burn off the image residue? Some screens do. Check the manual. It basically sets the screen on full, all over and balances it back out.

Really wouldn't brick it. You've not left it on nearly long enough to cause permanent harm IMHO.

mlamb64150

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
Yes I know exactly what you mean in regards to those Andy. So theoretically without deliberate abuse if you like, it's not going to be possible to burn my Plasma? Would have been somewhat embarressing having been watching 'Bottom Live' to have a big 'Bottom' Logo bang in the middle of my nice new tele
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

Now there's a way to get back at an enemy! (If you have any of course) Leave Bottoms Live running on their screen all night!

A

Anonymous

As I understand it, settings the levels correctly with something like Digital Video Essentials reduces the likelihood of screen burn, as the brightness and contrast levels tend to be set lower.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think I advised elsewhere switching off 'dynamic' mode and keeping contrast and brightness on the conservative side for the first couple of hundred hours, as this is when screen burn is most likely to occur. When I have a bit more time I'll hunt down the link.

EDIT: Ah, it's here.

mlamb64150

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
It's not a permanent burn, but just some temporary image retention.

Screen burn rarely happens to plasmas in normal domestic use - but have a look at the timetable screens in an airport or railway station when the system goes down and you'll see what screen burn really can do.

The timetable headers there are burnt in for good!

[/quote]

Hi Andrew,

Further to the old issue, I'm getting a really annoying issue now. For instance today I just got 300 on Blu-Ray (yum!) just sat down to watching it and I can make on the banner on the bottom of the screen from Sky Sports News! I often watch this channel but I always turn off the tv when Im not watching it, I'm very proud of maintaining my tech but this image retention is really annoying.

What's this white screen feature as mentioned before? I can't sit comfortably through 300 whilst that's there!

Matt

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Sky sports news is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to temp image retention as it has large static high contrast images in the same position on screen perminatly until the ad-breaks so it is a channel that you should pop-in-and-out off and not leave on for too long.

Too clear these unwanted images from your screen there will be somewhere in your tv's menu options relating to screen burn like pixel shift etc, somewhere there a option to wipe. the screen will be there which will either display a totally white screen or a wipeing white patern from side to side to clear and retained image. Leave either of these paterns running for a while and those images will be gone. I had a simular issue after a four hour session on my 360 playing Viva Pinata where I had a image of the in game radar left but after a 15 screen wipe it had gone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts