How much have you spent on hifi?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Not totalled it up exactly, but with the new DAC I've spent about as much on head-fi as on hifi, around 800 on each. Hence the change to my .sig I can see more going in to this habit in the future... well after we move house later in the year.

I probably listen to much more music on headphones at work than anywhere else, though now listening to much more at home too.

Not too much as I've never bought anything at full price: All RRP's correct at time of purchase.

Arcam A65+ . . . .£350 (brand new) RRP £390

" CD73T . . . . £400 (brand new) RRP £430

M.A. RS6 . . . . . .£450 (brand new) RRP £600

Chord Carnival Plus. . .£20 for 5 metres (end of reel)

Merlin Chopin. . . .£ 70 (brand new) RRP £85

Xpression 1 TT. . .£ 190 (brand new) RRP £210

ClearAudio cart. . £110 (brand new) RRP £115

Although I've not made huge savings. . .every little helps!

A

Anonymous

If any of you feel guilty about how much you spend on hifi then check out how much people spend on marine fishtanks (my other hobby, although one that is losing its appeal). The cost of most people's hifi setups is much less and there isn't the £50 to £150 monthly cost of running a marine tank. This hobby (hifi) is actually great value I think!!

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
jgw911:If any of you feel guilty about how much you spend on hifi then check out how much people spend on marine fishtanks (my other hobby, although one that is losing its appeal). The cost of most people's hifi setups is much less and there isn't the £50 to £150 monthly cost of running a marine tank. This hobby (hifi) is actually great value I think!!

Absolutely. It's taken me 27 years to lose £5750ish. I could do that in 1 year buying a new car very easily. While that looks like a lot of money it's not really and I'm including the interst I've missed out on by not banking the money.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
al7478:

Paulthefilmfan:But probably worth it in the long run!

Are you sure...?

Me, £600 plus change, including the soundcard nut (EDIT..."but"...) excluding the PC.

Now approx 1800. And thats ever, not accounting for sales etc, just outlay, as per JD.

T

the record spot

the record spot:Total outlay on current system £880, although that was used and new kit, but all of it purchased at significantly below RRP (which would've been around £1800 if I'd bought at full price).

If you consider the current system (below) that price I quoted above drops to £489 or about £600 if you take the NAD in real terms with the cost of inflation taken into account. I've saved myself about £200!

(Err...!)

Sliced Bread

Current system is £3400 including cables and rack (not including historical purchases).

If I was to do it again I would have spent the money on a stereo system. Not that my system is bad, it's just that listening to stereo systems of the same (or less) value produces a much more enjoyable sound and probably one that I would appreciate more over the long run.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
You've got me thinking now. Working from the end-up...

Lounge:
Speakers - MA RS6, £450
Headphones - Senn 280Pro - £90
Headphone amp - self-built - £15
Main amp - Naim NAC102/NAP180 - £950
CD - Arcam Alpha 6 - £110
DAC - Beresford 7510 - £120
Streamer - Apple Airport Express - £55
Turntable - Pioneer PL-12d II - £23
Phono Cart - Denon DL110 - £59
Rack - Revolver - £200

Dining Room:
Ipod Classic 160Gb - £230
Apple Dock - £35
Technics SA-160L reciever - £140
Eltax Symphony 6 speakers - £210

Attic system:
Dual CS505/2, Rotel RA-820, Mission Model 70IIs with 100+ 1950s classical LPs - £65!

So totalling that all up comes to about £2800. Pretty average for here it seems...

A

Anonymous

About six grand on cd's. Lost count how much on amps, speakers, cdp's, cables. The only trouble is. can't bear to part with any of it. I can hardly move in the bungalow, wish I'd got a house.

A

Anonymous

Current system is about 4k, but then again I love my present kit and would not be without it.

Its only dosh at the end of the day, remember lads, there are no pockets in a shroud............

legoyoda

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Well, Hi-fi wise I've spent just about £1100in total on my first "proper" seperate system. However I saved about £560 by buying "end of line" gear.

Home CInema adds another 5k though as I got my TV 3 years ago when plasma wasn't quite as cheep as it is now. That's including a tonne of wires and interconnects and racks. I have to say though I'm very happy with the setup for the Home cinema as is. I have been so supriosed by what i'm hearing on the Hi-Fi side after getting the new system that I'm 100% going to start saving for a much better system as listening to music has suddenly become a much more rewarding experiance and I can feel the bug biting already! Next time I move I feel an upgrade coming on....

idc

Bearing in mind this figure covers av as well as hifi and some (including myself) have not included PCs and freebies (presents) the average spend so far is £4693. If you take away the two highest and two lowest expenditures to reduce distortion then the average spend is £3964.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Before upgrading I set myself a budget rather charging round like a mad man with no focus auditioning things I couldn't afford and spending money I didn't have. It kind of made the exercise more fun and I managed to buy my quad 909, 99cdp, atacama stands and proac studio 110s for under £2k which I'm pretty pleased with given the quad kit is brand new with a five year warranty.

Av - now thats a different matter...

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
lordmortlock:I set myself a budget rather charging round like a mad man with no focus auditioning things I couldn't afford and spending money I didn't have.

Incidentially I wasn't suggesting anyone here does that. More that it was my initial reaction that I had to curb upon falling head first into the wonderful world of hifi upgrades.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
About 40% of what it all should have cost me if I had bought it all brand new instead of second-hand and ex-dem.
I'm not allowed to work out what it should have cost or did cost, it worries my wife, she think it encourages me to spend more.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I have two different valuations of my current Hifi.

Hifi Including AV (incl 50" pana TV) somewhere above the £6k mark - real cost

Wife valuation - £1,400 for the TV (she was with me when I bought it) and £50 for each of the other components with all of the receipts hidden in their boxes in the loft - £2,000 all in. The deception can also be continued by buying Cyrus as it all looks the same!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
al7478:al7478:

Paulthefilmfan:But probably worth it in the long run!

Are you sure...?

Me, £600 plus change, including the soundcard nut (EDIT..."but"...) excluding the PC.

Now approx 1800. And thats ever, not accounting for sales etc, just outlay, as per JD.

my maths is a disgrace. the original figure should have been £695. Now its around £1922 owing to having to replace one of the speakers' supplied cables (just wasnt long enough) and get an adaptor to make my coax soundcard and cable talk to my optical cable going into the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts