How much have you spent on hifi?

idc

How much has your passion for hifi cost over the years? I am pleasently surprised at a total of about £2900, which includes all kit, cables, stands, but excludes the PC and hard drive I use, an amp, the Sounddock, a set of headphones and two ipods which were gifts. That will be why I thought the total should have been higher.

A

Anonymous

Too much, I almost want to cry thinking about it (over £3500). But probably worth it in the long run!

A

Anonymous

This feels like walking into a pub and asking people how many units they're drank. Frightening stuff we'd all rather ignore
emotion-5.gif

idc

Paulthefilmfan:Too much, I almost want to cry thinking about it...........

I just don't see it that way. Measured as pound per hour hour of enjoyment it is way less than I thought or what I have spent on other enjoyable things.

P.S - I would imaging that the cost for av fans will be much higher, to factor in the cost of TVs, Sky, VCRs, DVDs etc.

idc

True Blue:About the same as the missus has spent on shoes!!!

So how much has your wife spent on shoes? I mean, its not as if anyone reads this forum is it? This is just amongst friends! come on stump up the cash!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Paulthefilmfan:But probably worth it in the long run!

Are you sure...?

Me, £600 plus change, including the soundcard nut (EDIT..."but"...) excluding the PC.

A

Anonymous

more than:

most normal folks would understand
more than i should have
much more than my car....

About the right amount IMO

A

Anonymous

Since I first started...id say £4000 or there abouts, never regretted it, would do it again if I could
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I reckon approx £1850 on my current HiFi excluding my Mac, and obviously the music...

A

Anonymous

Blunny89:I reckon approx £1850 on my current HiFi excluding my Mac, and obviously the music...

Oh no, I forgot the music!
emotion-3.gif

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, approx £4K on AV, £1K on Hifi (to date), soon to be £700 extra due to my new speakers (Rega RS3), then another £1500-£3000 this year on either the Naim nait 5i cd+ amp or Naim nait xs +cd player. Excluding Cd's / BR etc.

OMG!!!! (better check my contents insurance!!)

A

Anonymous

ScottH:
Blunny89:I reckon approx £1850 on my current HiFi excluding my Mac, and obviously the music...

Oh no, I forgot the music!
emotion-3.gif

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:
Well, approx £4K on AV, £1K on Hifi (to date), soon to be £700 extra due to my new speakers (Rega RS3), then another £1500-£3000 this year on either the Naim nait 5i cd+ amp or Naim nait xs +cd player. Excluding Cd's / BR etc.

OMG!!!! (better check my contents insurance!!)

Ok not quite ALL her shoes

A

Anonymous

bout 4k, and I'm 26 FYI

...but a lot of that was re-cooped from ebay sales

A

Anonymous

Pmaninit:
bout 4k, and I'm 26 FYI

Im 23 fyi also 4k ;)

A

Anonymous

ScottH:Pmaninit:
bout 4k, and I'm 26 FYI

Im 23 fyi also 4k ;)

Four years to spend an extra 2k - challenge accepted

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
i've made a profit of £120 :) the good thing about buying/selling second hand. buy and sell at the right time and you're sorted!

i'm 26 btw, i cant imagine spending 4k on hi-fi or av, i could see most of the world for that money! and have far better memories for life than hifi could ever give me.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
basshead:

i've made a profit of £120 :) the good thing about buying/selling second hand. buy and sell at the right time and you're sorted!

i'm 26 btw, i cant imagine spending 4k on hi-fi or av, i could see most of the world for that money! and have far better memories for life than hifi could ever give me.

Ah, I see what you did there. All while demonstrating a little perspective too...

emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

basshead:

But I did get my first hi-fi when I was 13, full CA setup with Mission 733is. My father paid for it and I paid him back over years from doing paper rounds on my bike in the morning before school. So I have had hi-fi for 13 years, 50% of my life!!

T

the record spot

Total outlay on current system £880, although that was used and new kit, but all of it purchased at significantly below RRP (which would've been around £1800 if I'd bought at full price).

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
depends who in the family you ask, according to my wife twice what I should have, according to me, about a third of what I want to. I would think my current system stands me at about £3300, Music library, I dare not think, a decent merc probably.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Crickey......erm.........

Well my ARCAM CD 32 cd player was bought off my dad for 300 quid (Blagged him to give it part for xmas n id pay some cash for it
emotion-4.gif
)

Marantz pre amp ive JUST bought was 1550 (nearly 1k knocked off the RRP) . Arcam P1000 Power amp was.......£700 (over 1k knocked off)

MA silvers were about 600 for the fronts

So hifi = £2550 ish

av (Of which the pre and power are anyways) ~ 200 quid for Pioneer LX50 dvd player (off ebay, should have been 500) and 350 for PS3 (With extras so techically less). 270 MA silver center and 270 MA silver rears

So thats another 1090 : 3640 total

Cables etc ~

bit of a guess as ive organised all sorts of discounts but Ive a good idea. 120 for VDH Hdmi leads. 170 for Wireworld HDMI. 400 interconnects. 300 solid silver mains cables. 400 for copper mains cables. 750 Isotek Sigmas mains conditioner. 150 Isotek Miras mains conditioner. 300 RA mains block. 100 on digital cables. 650 for solid silver 32 core braided speaker cables. 80 for vdh speaker cables. 50 for rear cables

so thats...... a staggering 3470 on cables and extras!

So thats 7110 total.

And 1250 for my Pioneer tv (Which I do class as hifi)

So final total of 8360!!

N if you think THATs bad my dad bought a cd player, interconnect and mains cable for it for far more than my OVERALL cost (But his system does sound incredible)

matthewpiano

Not as much as you'd think given all my switching around and restlessness, because most of it has been funded by selling existing kit on at decent prices.

I've spent far more money on music than hi-fi. CDs are my main expenditure for pleasure. I can't understand people who have only 50-100 albums (on any format) and then spend several thousand on hi-fi. My very eclectic musical taste means that there is always plenty of new music out there for me to discover and buy.

Going to gigs is another area of expenditure that I'd put above hi-fi. You really can't beat the thrill of seeing your musical heroes live. My next is Crosby Stills and Nash, and then the last day of the Memories of Woodstock festival (BJH/Strawbs/Tull/Melanie) in August. Can't wait.

TRENDING THREADS