How many times???

How many times, have you ordered an album/cd online, or been shopping in a store and bought something you already own?

I think I've done this SIX times now recently! I blame Holsten Pils for the latest overstock!

Gray

A few times, I've heard an obscure track on the radio which I like, so write down the details.

Then I find I already own the track and I'm really pleased!

Since I've ripped all my CDs, I've found one big advantage has been the fact that every track is listed. You could of course argue that, if I didn't know I owned the track, I don't deserve to.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
How many times, have you ordered an album/cd online, or been shopping in a store and bought something you already own?

I think I've done this SIX times now recently! I blame Holsten Pils for the latest overstock!

Never I don't think, yes best to keep off the pils, drink real beer.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Never. But I 'only' I have about 650 CDs. I suppose if your collection runs to thousands you can easily forget what you've already got.

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Once - though strangely at the time I bought it I should have been aware that I owned the whole catalogue for the band in question.

Cannot recall that I've ever done that. But far more shameful to me was once or twice missing a concert I'd booked months before and simply overlooked when the day came. I missed seeing Guilini conduct, as a result, and he died before I could rectify that (and I'm sure he wasn't mortified I hadn't attended!).

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've bought 5 copies of "Full Moon Fever" on tape or CD , in a close circle of friends we have bought over 20 copies over 25+ years they get chewed in cassette decks , snapped at partys and stolen from cars , it's like a cursed disc

James

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Bought a CD again after losing the first copy.
Have 2 copies of 2 different Sega Saturn games.
I repurchased them after thinking I sold them then found the original copies.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Never unintentionally.

steve_1979 said:
I've bought the RHCP Californication album 3 times. Once on tape and twice on CD but that was deliberate so it doesn't really count.

Thats very brave of you to admit :p

I've done this with books - Terry Pratchett mainly - as I tend to pick up the hardbacks in Charity shops.

Music wise, no, though I bought the same album twice in different formats - same with DVDs and bluray.

As I'm new to vinyl, I shouldn't have any duplicates, but I do.

I was bought, for work Secret Santa, the Foo Fighters' Sonic Highways, already owned it as I bought it on pre-release long before I owned a turntable.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
how about those that stole same album more than once? anybody here did that ever?

No. The only album that I've ever pirated is the RHCP Californication album because the 'pre-mastered' version (which is only available via an illegal downloaded) has better sound quality than the official release versions. But I also own Californication on CD so it doesn't feel like I've done anything immoral.

mightyquin

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've bought a few albums I already own - usually something I see in the bargain bin or whatever, think "I like them" and snap up a bargain, only to find the long forgotten CD buried under a pile later at home, Doh!

This is one of the reasons I really want to put all of my CD's on a hard drive, I'm less likely to forget what I've got!

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
As a student back in 1989, I was obsessed with the album “Isn’t Anything” by My Bloody Valentine. Used to listen to it (the vinyl version, on my ropey JVC midi system) over and over, every day.

Browsing in the local Our Price, I went to the MBV section and picked up a copy of the album. I remember being seized by the urge to buy it again! No logical reason, didn’t think I needed a spare or anything – I just loved it so much I wanted to buy another one. I started walking towards the till with it, then sense prevailed and I put it back.

That’s the closest I’ve come to buying something I already own.

I stopped listening to that album soon afterwards, and haven’t played it since.

Did it again a week or so ago,

i saw an album on Amazon, I thought it was very cheap, so ordered it..

the next morning, I woke up with that feeling I'd been a bit careless. Sure enough, I checked and had bought the very same album from Amazon maybe six months earlier.

hopefully this trend will stop, as I'm off the lagers for a few months.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts