How loud is -20db?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Seen lot of people tend to watch films at -20db but how loud is this, around 90db I am guessing? Not too bad. Like having decent volume level on films when neighbor is out but want to know first, today I played pacific rim for 5 mins on 15 volume on my sony str-dn1040 using dali ikon sub mk2 and it blew a light bulb!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
Seen lot of people tend to watch films at -20db but how loud is this, around 90db I am guessing? Not too bad. Like having decent volume level on films when neighbor is out but want to know first, today I played pacific rim for 5 mins on 15 volume on my sony str-dn1040 using dali ikon sub mk2 and it blew a light bulb!
Now imagine that you would got the Monolith instead...By now, You'll be seated in your neighbor's couch...*biggrin*

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
nugget2014 said:

I used to listen at -25 on my amp but since I've done an auto set up and upgraded some of my cables I can now listen at -20.

For the size of you room mate I would have thought -25 would be fine. Up to you of course.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Humm I tend to watch at -31 to -37 which gives me dialogue at 50 to 60 dB's , that feels right , crash boom bangs are louder of course.

James

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I generally watch around the -20dB mark - just seems comfortable for me - not too loud, but not too quiet either. Even if the neighbours go out, I don't edge it up much more than that, maybe -15dB tops.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
might go for the third lightbulb tomorrow see if i can break it. lol, for films i have the gain on sub set to about 75-80%, along with the +10db on speaker settings along with 15-20 volume i bet the sub pumps out 90db

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
might go for the third lightbulb tomorrow see if i can break it. lol, for films i have the gain on sub set to about 75-80%, along with the +10db on speaker settings along with 15-20 volume i bet the sub pumps out 90db

Is that +10dB on the speaker levels on the receiver?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
nugget2014 said:

Is that +10dB on the speaker levels on the receiver?

yes on the receiver. only the sub though, the regular speakers are set to +0db. and the centre is set to 7db for clear vocals

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Then I'm not surprised you're blowing light bulbs! speakers will be next to go! wind those levels down some. I tend to be same as David, -20db for regular watching, crank it up a little for certain movies though.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
grdunn123 said:
Then I'm not surprised you're blowing light bulbs! speakers will be next to go! wind those levels down some. I tend to be same as David, -20db for regular watching, crank it up a little for certain movies though.

so 70% gain and +0db on sub is ok for movies?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
yes on the receiver. only the sub though, the regular speakers are set to +0db. and the centre is set to 7db for clear vocals

Unless the centre speaker is particularly hard to drive (or the centre is maybe a sealed cabinet), there shouldn't really be a difference of 7dB between it and the front pair. This will give quite a focussed sound and drown out much of the sound produced by the rest of the speakers, which is fine for dialogue based movies, but not for anything with any effcts or ambience. I agree the centre should usually be boosted a little - I usually add 1dB to most auto setups, which seems to work nicely, but it shouldn't be so much more than the rest of the speakers.

As for the sub, if the level of the sub is too high on the receiver, it can overlaod the output and send a distorted signal to the sub when played at high volumes, so all your sub will be doing then is amplifying the distorted signal it is receiving. This in turn just draws attention to the sub.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm just glad I don't live next to any of you guys, especially Nuggett. I tend to watch tv at -30 to -40, but with the dialogue level raised to +3. I watch DVDs and Blu Rays without the dialogue level raised, but still only on around -25 to -35. Since buying the Zensor 3s, I no longer bother using the sub.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have re calibrated and it worked for the sub this time with gain set to max so it can hear it. Still too noisy it says though but no error for the sub anymore. Set centre to +5 instead of 7 see how it sounds. Set sub to +0db see how it sound also for movies. I think for music I would have it turned off at that volume of the sub though doesn't add that much

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
messed around with settings and the centre at +2db now i can hear volume good! must have changed after intergrating the sub into my system.

the sub set to +0 didnt sound that great so i turned it to +6 but it was quite bassy so turned it down to +4db, see how it goes.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
nugget2014 said:

I used to listen at -25 on my amp but since I've done an auto set up and upgraded some of my cables I can now listen at -20.

For the size of you room mate I would have thought -25 would be fine. Up to you of course.

is there a website that tells me what the volume level in dB is for different volume ratings such as -20 -25 etc as i want to know how loud they are

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello mate. I don't is the answer to that. 0dB is obviously reference level but then of course that is what ever dB level the sound was recorded at or the sound created. I would hope different amps work at the same levels. Meaning reference level should be the same for all of us.

A decibel meter will giv you your answer. You don't have surrounds yet so those sound should be coming through the fronts which might make things feel louder and also the sound will be compremised with movies due to more sounds fighting to be heard.

So do you have a new mic for the amp now?

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
As GP says a meter will give you the SPL in your room , you can download one for free to your phone .

<S> and as everyone wants to know , did you get the mic and calibration working yet <S>

James

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Going to take mic in next week and get a replacement. I have a sound meter already and I listen about 80db but didn't know if it was classed as -20 or -25 etc..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts