Bass you can feel.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
you may or may not have seen one of my lots of threads posted on WHF in the past year.

one of the main reasons i have invested in a home cinema is constantly getting the wow factor when going to the cinema compared to just tv audio when watching films. so i bought my first home cinema for around £2200 including tv/speaker cables/etc.

i originally didnt have a subwoofer. i gave one a try at superfi the dali sub e-12f and i could feel the bass on my body slightly (mainly just my leg..) and thought this is a worthwhile investment!

bought a better model the dali ikon sub mk2 and dont get it. i guess its just my room as i have bad luck placing it anywhere the place i have it now is the only one that works well.

it doesnt matter how loud i have the sub or what content i have playing. i cannot feel the bass hit me at all. loudest i have ever had the sub running was about 110db on the SPL meter (right infront of the cone) so maybe 105db in reality. didnt feel it at all. only destroyed my room. that was music, same happens for films. such as in transformers when they jump over the bridge my door and my whole room shook but felt nothing.

then i realised that supposedly bass is most felt around 100hz. and i thought that might be a problem. i had my crossover set to 80hz and i thought subs dont play that well up at them frequencies thats why so many people say stick to 80hz.

so i was thinking. to ever achieve a feeling of bass hitting you like i get at concerts what needs to be done? would a nice pair of floorstanding speakers that excel in the 100hz region be better than a sub? such as the dali zensor 7, dali ikon 5, ikon 6, or ikon 7. if not the only subwoofers i would ever buy now are the SVS line. such as the sb-13 or pb-13 ultra (second hand if lucky)

any helpful tips/ideas? ive tried different sub placements. crossovers, volume gains. nothing works. and yet superfi did it so easily with a worse sub! wasnt even that loud.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi there

The only way is for a subwoofer to hit you that much is to build you own . AND IT WOULD BE MASSIVE your talking 20inch square at least if not bigger. Or buy a massive subwoofer from SVS one of there ported ones and there serious pounds.

100HZ is bass you can hear (audible impact) real stuff is 20hz and under with a cone in box capable! Thats the suff you feel and movies arent just rammed packed with bass like this its it only there when needed and only shot impactfull doses and as said before your room may not be capable dosnt matter how big the sub is

Not even the BK monolith hits you as hard as your describing (i konw i had one for a short time).

I think im getting idea that your a bit of bass head. (no disrespect intended) if you want real impact the cheapest way is to get a car sub with a 1000w amp and the biggest box you can get. But be warned its wont sound that nice with your speakers as there all about BOOM!

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
millennia_one said:
Hi there

The only way is for a subwoofer to hit you that much is to build you own . AND IT WOULD BE MASSIVE your talking 20inch square at least if not bigger. Or buy a massive subwoofer from SVS one of there ported ones and there serious pounds.

100HZ is bass you can hear (audible impact) real stuff is 20hz and under with a cone in box capable! Thats the suff you feel and movies arent just rammed packed with bass like this its it only there when needed and only shot impactfull doses and as said before your room may not be capable dosnt matter how big the sub is

Not even the BK monolith hits you as hard as your describing (i konw i had one for a short time).

I think im getting idea that your a bit of bass head. (no disrespect intended) if you want real impact the cheapest way is to get a car sub with a 1000w amp and the biggest box you can get. But be warned its wont sound that nice with your speakers as there all about BOOM!

haha you was right about being a basshead..although i finally have managed to get some impact! i watched TMNT (neighbour was at work) so started at 20, and worked my way up to 30 volume. and let me tell you i am guessing it was referrence volume. the sound meter was picking up about 110db near the subwoofer. and certain notes gave me some feeling (only on my legs though) i darent turn it up any higher. i am afraid of either getting the police called or giving the neighbours dog downstairs a heart attack lol

although im sure the sub could handle 35 volume as it has DSP to stop it from destroying itself (so to speak) but i think it's limit is near. feels so weird to have the entire room shake like an earthquake

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
What movie scenes have you tested your subwoofer on?

loads. i guess some memorable ones are:

War of the worlds (i guess you know which scene im on about early on)

Edge of Tomorrow, Transformers 4, ALL the marvel films. Godzilla

also many more. the above were all my favourites. i seen lots of good reviews about elysium and the amazing spiderrman 2 and they both SUCKED for me anyway. most disappointing LFE out of my whole 60+ collection.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the bass requirements for the two are very different.

The 'kick in the chest' bass drum frequencies are much higher than you think, and on most music very low frequencies are mostly noise. These low frequencies soak up power and muddy the mid bass and mess up the 'kick', for music you are often better off with out them.

Given your volume requirements the obvious solution for music are active studio monitors, they can cost anything from £400 for Yamaha HS8 to £2200 for Event Opals with loads of options in between. Properly setup with the sub bass filtered out, these will get it done no problem.

The home cinema setup is different, sound effects are not limited to the musical range so the requirements are different, I have zero interest in movies, so absolutely none in home cinema, so can not advise there. What I can say is that many enthusiasts of both music and movies end up with two systems, not always practical.

TRENDING THREADS