How large is a large room?

renouj21

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the market for some new speakers (still using Mission 760's), and looking at the Q Acoustic 2050i. All the blurb says they need a "large" room, but what is a "large" room in hi fi terms? My room is about 7mx4m.

Thanks

J

renouj21 said:
I'm in the market for some new speakers (still using Mission 760's), and looking at the Q Acoustic 2050i. All the blurb says they need a "large" room, but what is a "large" room in hi fi terms? My room is about 7mx4m.

Thanks

J

Obviously not US large or those speakers wouldn't fill it.

I think they would suit yours no problem.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
lpv said:
large room won't fix boomy bass of the q acoustics 2050i

Are you saying they are badly designed? Boomy bass to me is room induced. Too much bass is a speaker design / crossover problem.

I found them boxy sounding.. far from big bass anyway.. I just don't get why everybody so happy about them.. maybe I get used to more controlled bass *dirol*

lpv said:
Al ears said:
lpv said:
large room won't fix boomy bass of the q acoustics 2050i

Are you saying they are badly designed? Boomy bass to me is room induced. Too much bass is a speaker design / crossover problem.

I found them boxy sounding.. far from big bass anyway.. I just don't get why everybody so happy about them.. maybe I get used to more controlled bass *dirol*

That's fine, they are not everyone's cup of tea. I just find a difference in boxy and boomy.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
How large a 'large' room is depends on which country you are in. A large room in the UK is a small room in the USA and Australia who have some of the largest average room sizes on the planet.

It should come as no surprise to note that the UK has the smallest average room sizes in Europe and is far, far behind the likes of the USA and Australia.

You could fit about 6 average UK houses into an average Australian house.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Jota180 said:
How large a 'large' room is depends on which country you are in. A large room in the UK is a small room in the USA and Australia who have some of the largest average room sizes on the planet.

It should come as no surprise to note that the UK has the smallest average room sizes in Europe and is far, far behind the likes of the USA and Australia.

Not surprising considering the population densities in those countries. Japan also has very small rooms. The population of Australia is similar to the SE of England.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:

true. most of the uk houses are ridiculously small. chimney breast, bay windows, doors and radiator all in 9 sqm.. no single uncluttered wall, there's room for small sofa, tv in the corner and probably small bookshelfs would work best on that suspended floor that makes unwanted resonanse.. not loud cause next door,behind paper thin wall there's bill and clara.. lovely elderly couple..

one of the reasons I recommend active studio monitors in such rooms.. monitors with controlled bass, low and high switches at the back that otherwise are missing in british amps.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I live in the UK and I've lived in some right shoe boxes over the years, got a big detached house now after what seems like 100yrs of working!!!! It is without doubt my no1 best hifi accessory (the house). Decent bookshelves on stands can be perfectly adequate in quite a large room. I have a Nad D3020 with Boston Acoustics M25's on Atacama Stands in my 'large' living room and they fill it with ease, that said my Q Acoustics Concept 20's weren't up to it and sounded a touch tinny in the same location.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
Jota180 said:
How large a 'large' room is depends on which country you are in.  A large room in the UK is a small room in the USA and Australia who have some of the largest average room sizes on the planet.

true. most of the uk houses are ridiculously small. chimney breast, bay windows, doors and radiator all in 9 sqm.. no single uncluttered wall, there's room for small sofa, tv in the corner and probably small bookshelfs would work best on that suspended floor that makes unwanted resonanse.. not loud cause next door,behind paper thin wall there's bill and clara.. lovely elderly couple..

one of the reasons I recommend active studio monitors in such rooms.. monitors with controlled bass, low and high switches at the back that otherwise are missing in british amps.

Thats the most suckyest thing tv in corner.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts