How is this for a system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - After some research online and through a number of mags, I have decided on the following purchases: -

TV - Panasonic TH46 PZ81B £1,130
Blu Ray - Panasonic DMP-BD35 £180
Amp - Onkyo TX SR606 or SR706 £400 - £600 est
Speakers - KEF KHT2005.3 £650 est

When it comes to the amp and the speakers, the SR606 states that the power output is 7 x 140W.

The sub-woofer states that is 200W, with the other speakers taking 100W. Im right in thinking that as the sub-woofer is 200W, then the amp I have chosen will not be powerful enough to get the full sound from it... but with the remainng speakers, these could blow as the amp is more powerful.

I doubt that I will ever need to turn it up that high, but was just wondering.

Any advice or comments on the plan would be much appreciated. Have I missed anything?

Thanks - Fando
emotion-1.gif

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
No problem with any of the Onkyo amps driving those speakers. i would shop around first all those products can be found a lot cheaper. Start with tv, if you feel after an audition thats the one then go for the Panasonic, any savings could go into funds for speakers and amp, deals might be around on the Kef 3005se, seen them somewhere for £799, same with amp seen it for £339. Maybe the funds could go into a new Blu-ray model like the Panny bd55 or Pioneer 51 at £299. Other then that Don't forget Panasonic are releasing newer models starting from March, so i would wait to see if any reductions are on offer first.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply Lobby. Will have to wait a few weeks or so to get the money together, but did not know that there might be price reductions on the TV I have in mind due to newer Panasonic releases in March, so cheers for that.

Ill take a look at the KEF3005se you mention as well.

Fando

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Quick note on the sub, the sub that comes with that kef speaker package is an active sub. This means that is has its own inbuilt amplification and isnt driven by the amp itself, you simply feed the sub a signal from the amps sub output socket and the sub does the rest itself so no problem there. As a point of reference I run an Onkyo 875 stated as 200w per channel (this actually drops to 140w per channel in 5.1 BTW) and my sub is a 750w beast.

RE the amp, obviously if you can get the 706 all the better, but the 606 will do a decent enough job anyways. Just so you know where Im coming from I own an Onkyo, have a Panasonic set and I put a package together for my bro which included a Kef 2005.2 speaker kit, everything you have chosen works very well together.

Thats a decent setup that is quite well matched and wil work well and sound good, especially HD audio BR movies.

A

Anonymous

Excellent - Good to hear it!
emotion-2.gif

Thanks. Just having a shop around now to see what the best prices I can get at the moment are...

Fando

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts