How is the expense justified??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:igglebert:JohnDuncan:welshboy:
It's not justified in any way shape or form Even allowing for the potential research costs.

However my friends the fault is ours. If we didn't buy the overpriced stuff then there would be no market and those who make it would have to compete in the real world.

Sadly it is our desire to boast that these companies depend on. You may well not be able to afford the latest Ferrari but when you are down the pub you can boast about your £1k plus RA mains lead to your mates in order to enhance your HiFi guru status in their eyes.
emotion-2.gif

This would presuppose that any of us have any mates who give a toss.
...and that any of us would be so superficial to brag about spending a lot of money on a hifi accessory, or even mention it for that matter...

I'd be too ashamed to. "You bought what?!?!?!?!?"

But it hasn't stopped you posting many times admitting you'd done just that.

A

Anonymous

andyb190:JohnDuncan:igglebert:JohnDuncan:welshboy:
It's not justified in any way shape or form Even allowing for the potential research costs.

However my friends the fault is ours. If we didn't buy the overpriced stuff then there would be no market and those who make it would have to compete in the real world.

Sadly it is our desire to boast that these companies depend on. You may well not be able to afford the latest Ferrari but when you are down the pub you can boast about your £1k plus RA mains lead to your mates in order to enhance your HiFi guru status in their eyes.
emotion-2.gif

This would presuppose that any of us have any mates who give a toss.
...and that any of us would be so superficial to brag about spending a lot of money on a hifi accessory, or even mention it for that matter...

I'd be too ashamed to. "You bought what?!?!?!?!?"

But it hasn't stopped you posting many times admitting you'd done just that.

It must have been on the advice of the counseling. Write it down... ;-)

A

Anonymous

Yeah there is a sort of cathartic note to those type of threads. A sortof 'I can't tell anyone else this, but I know you'll understand ,so....'

I really like JD's 'latest acquisition' posts. There's a sort of apologetic, shouldn't have done it and won't do it again feel to them. I only hope Mrs JD doesn't ever read his account posts or there may be a few guitars for sale on the second hand market.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:JohnDuncan:welshboy:

emotion-2.gif

This would presuppose that any of us have any mates who give a toss. ...and that any of us would be so superficial to brag about spending a lot of money on a hifi accessory, or even mention it for that matter...

igglebert - I assume that's a picture of you in your avitar. If I blew it up to check for sure I assume you'd understand the comment "label-boy"
emotion-2.gif
Sometimes you don't have to speak to boast and before you flame me I'll confess to half a wardrobe full of high-end mountain gear. And yes I do feel special wearing it!
emotion-2.gif

John Duncan

andyb190:
Yeah there is a sort of cathartic note to those type of threads. A sortof 'I can't tell anyone else this, but I know you'll understand ,so....'

I really like JD's 'latest acquisition' posts. There's a sort of apologetic, shouldn't have done it and won't do it again feel to them. I only hope Mrs JD doesn't ever read his account posts or there may be a few guitars for sale on the second hand market.

Or on the bonfire. TBH they've all been approved (not necessarily pre-approved, but approved nonetheless). This does sound like there have been millions of them though - since I joined this forum I have bought (and in some cases disposed of)........

Creek Classic
PMC DB1+
Primare D20
Primare A20
Cambridge Azur Reference Interconnect
Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnect
Gotham Interconnect (4 off)
AVI Neutron V
Apple Airport Express
A Sharp HD telly for the kitchen
463 packets of Milk Chocolate Hob Nobs

That's not that bad is it?

A

Anonymous

welshboy:igglebert:JohnDuncan:welshboy:

emotion-2.gif

This would presuppose that any of us have any mates who give a toss. ...and that any of us would be so superficial to brag about spending a lot of money on a hifi accessory, or even mention it for that matter...

igglebert - I assume that's a picture of you in your avitar. If I blew it up to check for sure I assume you'd understand the comment "label-boy"
emotion-2.gif
Sometimes you don't have to speak to boast and before you flame me I'll confess to half a wardrobe full of high-end mountain gear. And yes I do feel special wearing it!
emotion-2.gif

£14-99 on a sleeved tech top isn't high-end but I see your point. If people buy decent hifi so that they can boast about it then it'll be short-lived and we can all reap the benefits on ebay
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

professorhat: Of course if all cable manufactures gave up a long, long time ago and signed a pact to just charge us loads for stuff that they researched 30 (or more?) years ago, then I'd be surprised.

Well practically yes, but then they got bored. So, what did they do? ÿThey turned their fuzzy, half cloaked heads to working out how to market HDMI cables in such a way that people would be absorbed by their own expense.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:

professorhat: Of course if all cable manufactures gave up a long, long time ago and signed a pact to just charge us loads for stuff that they researched 30 (or more?) years ago, then I'd be surprised.

Well practically yes, but then they got bored. So, what did they do? They turned their fuzzy, half cloaked heads to working out how to market HDMI cables in such a way that people would be absorbed by their own expense.
emotion-11.gif
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

welshboy:Octopo:

Well practically yes, but then they got bored. So, what did they do? They turned their fuzzy, half cloaked heads to working out how to market HDMI cables in such a way that people would be absorbed by their own expense.
emotion-11.gif
emotion-2.gif

It's called marketing. You can even get a grade in it. It's like professional ly.., err informing, while providing a slightly overrated appreciation of the product in question.

Edit: just realized I broke my own rule of not posting on cable threads any more. I'm off!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts