How hot is your Sonos ZP90?

scene

Only ask, because I just noticed that mine is pretty toasty. It's sitting on top of my AV cabinet, so now ventilation issues. Is this something I should worry about, or do they always run hot?

A

Anonymous

Mine gets used all day six days a week in a shop , never had an issue with heat or anything else actually !

A

Anonymous

Mine gets used all day six days a week in a shop , never had an issue with heat or anything else actually !

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Can't say I've ever noticed mine getting hot, but then I've never actually thought to check it. I wouldn't have thought they would get too hot though, the 120 maybe but the 90 has no amps.

Do they have the switch for different mains voltages on the back? Might be worth checking you're not on 110V by mistake? EDIT: No they don't, just checked an image of the back panel.

A

Anonymous

I certainly wouldn't say mine gets hot. It does get slightly warm but not Onkyo hot. I can't say my ZP120 gets particularly hot either.

scene

OK, I've just done another trawl of the Sonos forums and it appears that this is "normal for ZP90s". The ZP120 doesn't have the issue, as it has vent holes on the bottom and top, as well as being larger. Apparently the zone-players have a termal alarm if they get too hot - so that's alright then.

Though having said all this, a number of people have "re-engineered" their ZP90 cases by adding vent holes in the lid and others have flipped them upside down and placed them on a block of aluminium!

Oh well - might only be an issue as and when I move the ZP90 down into the cabinet (when I hard wire it).

scene

I agree, it does seem weird, but...

The ZP120 has about 2.5 times the volume of the ZP90 and has ventilation holes top and bottom and a cast aluminium casing - as opposed to the polycarbonate casing of the ZP90 - and, as Sonos say themselves: "Aluminum casing also facilitates passive cooling." So, I think the ZP120 probably does produce more heat than the ZP90, but it dissipates it better, so overall the unit remains cooler. With the ZP90, whatever heat is generated inside the unit gets trapped in side, as there are holes at the bottom, but heat rises and polycarbonate is pretty useless for heat dissipation...

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Funny, I noticed the same thing just at the weekend. Mine's on top of a rack, therefore has 5 sides open to the air. 'Toasty' is a fair description, pretty warm but I didn't think so hot it would damage itself. Good to know it's not just me :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts