How hard is too hard

spudz27

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Firstly I am new to the forum so Hi to all.........

I currently have a Marantz SR5300 running a pair of Monitor Audio BX6 which i use when DJ at home for small parties / friends over. It appears 2 of cones have blown as they are very tinny and crackly, i have tried everything such as amp / cable / different channel etc. with no change.

I have got in contact with Monitor Audio and am awaiting a response......

Question is, they are 3 years old, is this expected that things go wrong or am i simply expecting too much out of them? They probably get used once or twice a week and to be honest i do run them very loud with 2 or 3 times in the last year the amp has got hot and protection cut in.

Maybe i need to be looking at another setup probably powered speakers?

Any advice appreciated,

Regards,

Rich

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I think you need to go down to cash converters and get yourself gear fit for purpose.

They usually have alot of Dj gear in stock.

But the Bx6 were not designed to be used as party speakers.

If you're driving the speakers to distortion what do you seriously expect to happen.

Don't take me the wrong way, but you broke your speakers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I would be very surprised if you got anything fixed under warrantee, but give it a go.

Most likely outcome will be new drivers all round, could be expensive.

Anyway, best solution is to replace the RX6s with a powerful pair of active monitors, depending on your budget look at Mackie MR8 or Yamaha HS8 as starting points, spend more if you can.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently running a pair of active KRK Rokit 10-3 speakers, not the last word in refinement but a lot of speak for the lot of money. I've not come close to pushing them yet but if I were in the market for some relativley cheap party speakers these would be high on the list.

A three way desigh with 10 inch woofers, it really is more geared up to parties than the speakers you've blown. If not have a look at more more PA type set ups with cheapo pro rack amps.

As someone mentioned cash converters always seemed well stocked with this sort of thing.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
bluedroog said:
I'm currently running a pair of active KRK Rokit 10-3 speakers, not the last word in refinement but a lot of speak for the lot of money. I've not come close to pushing them yet but if I were in the market for some relativley cheap party speakers these would be high on the list.

A three way desigh with 10 inch woofers, it really is more geared up to parties than the speakers you've blown. If not have a look at more more PA type set ups with cheapo pro rack amps.

As someone mentioned cash converters always seemed well stocked with this sort of thing.

Decent call, still the best part of £800 though. The Yamahas and Mackies are about half that, depends on the budget available.

spudz27

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for the replies Bluedroog and Davedotco, yeah been looking at the KRK`s and like you say although around £800, they seem a lot for the money.....

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
If I were you I will be looking at yamaha HS8 active speakers. Rock on.. *dance4*

+1

A very good budget option especially when paired with the matching Yamaha subwoofer. When used with the subwoofer you can reduce the amount of bass that the HS8 speakers need to produce which means they'll go even louder still. Damn fine sounding speakers too.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Regular hifi amps and speakers aren't really up to playing at party volume levels for long periods of time.

You'd be better off with some active speakers with built in amplifiers such as the Mackie HR824 (£1000). They have plenty of bass and will comfortably play at much higher volume levels than your Monitor Audio speakers. They probably have much better sound quality too.

gasolin

As long as the amp dosn't make the speaker distort you should be fine.

I would go for Krk rookit 8 g3 they have a strong bass og Jbl LSR 308 which have a max spl over 110 db (a bit more then the krk's) both are very resonable priced

Kefref

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Bet your neighbours love you *biggrin*

I agree with what was said above, over driving speakers to distortion will only have 1 result....a busted set of speakers.

Remember that an appropriate set of speakers is not the only consideration, what you are putting into them, and what you are driving them with also needs to be carefully considered and controlled.

It is no good going away and buying a new set and throwing too much gain and bass into them, as no matter how good they are, the result may be the same, as a DJ we can sometimes get a bit carried away with bottom end, and gain, and as no 2 tracks are ever the same accidents can happen, especially when we throw a few beers into the mix!

As well as buying appropriate speakers for the task, you also must have an Amp that has enough power to drive them, this is CRUCIAL, and more often than not an underpowered amp driven hard will kill your speakers (unless going down the powered speaker path) .The higher the power of the amp in general the better the control over the speaker. Think of it as a car which has a lot of power - your overall performance is better even though you never touch top speed!

I would also consider either a software or hardware limiter if you are planning on playing high levels for extended periods. As this will protect your Amp and Speakers, also putting your sounds through a Low and High Pass cutoff filter will stop you sending excessivly low/high range frequencies to your kit, your dj rig is capable of sending a wide frequency range to your front end, and speakers, this needs clamped down, this can be achived quite easily through software.

Something more akin to a P/A would be the ideal kit for the task, but the environmental health would confiscate your kit in a jiffy!

Good luck

spudz27

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for reply Kefref, been looking at the KRK 10's and think i maybe swaying towards them.

My stupidity for thinking my Monitors would just be able to keep going all day long at any volume because my amp wouldn`'t over power them. Oh well gonna look into getting them repaired and probably stick them in front room as a part of a surround system with the TV.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
spudz27 said:
davedotco said:
Where are you based Spudz.....?

South Lincs..............

Take a look here.

https://www.studiospares.com/Headphones-and-Speakers/Studio-Monitors.htm

Almost any of the models with an 8 inch (or bigger woofer) will do the job, well anything from about £300pr up. Beware though, some models are priced in pairs, some singly, read the details. Yamaha HS8s are a decent blend between power and quality, at about £450, fine vfm.

It is a comprehensive selection and their prices are fair, though not always the very cheapest. Service is decent though. See if you have a DV/247 music shop close by as a local option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts