how good is the panasonic th-37px80 plasma

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi as anyone seen a test report or review of this new panisonic model or can anyone you purchased one tell me thier feelings on this set your comments would be appreciated

A

Anonymous

Just bought one on Monday and set it up for the Bolton V sporting Lisbon match last night. Great picture- rubbish match!
I'll tell you why I bought this telly in short form (it took me months of agonising in reality).
I dont need a telly bigger than 40".
All current 40" units are LCD and to my eyes (forget the specs) the LCD's dont handle motion anywhere near as well as plasma.
There is only one 37"/40" Plasma available and that's the Panny.
To be sure I went to an Empire store and they had the PX70, PX80 and the 37" full HD LCD.
The two plasmas both easily outperformed the LCD in every area I could measure by eye (motion, contrast, colour quality).
The PX 70 was reduced to £600 and would have been a great buy. However I got them to price match Dixons at £729 (after £20 online voucher) for the PX80 and the improved contrast, 3 xHDMI and the "comfort" of having the latest model was easilly worth the extra £130.
Also to back up what I am saying WHF did a group test of 37"/40" full HD sets this month in which the Panny 37" LCD won however the reviewers stated that that they still prefered the PX70 plasma overall.
So in conclusdion the Panny 37 LCD is the best 37/40 full HD set out there, the PX70 plasma is better than that and the PX80 is better than that. Ergo the TH37- PX80 is the best 37/40" TV out there irrespective of the specs.
And I challenge anyone to spot the difference (at a normal viewing distance from the screen) on a 40" TV between a good 720P picture and a 1080P one.
Also dont forget that currently most over air or DVD material is only SD anyway and therefore a 1080P set needs to "stretch" SD pictures to a factor of almost 2X which can't be a good thing!

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
I've recommended one of these to my folks as they can't fit in a 42" Kuro. Most of their viewing will be SD for the foreseeable future and that was the most important consideration. I was really impressed with the old PX70 and the response to the PX80 so far has been pretty positive so I'm confident that Panasonic haven't done anything to make the new model worse than the outgoing one. I'm still not a huge fan of the styling though. I think Panasonic's design department could do better, especially when you compare them to the beautifully minimal look of the Kuros. Still, for the money, they're good sets.

A

Anonymous

thanks stiggy i have been looking for several months at lcd and plasmas and plasmas still rule

A

Anonymous

thanks fuzzy i would like a 42'' but it was hard going to get my wife to agree to a 37''

A

Anonymous

[quote user="stiggy"]
Just bought one on Monday and set it up for the Bolton V sporting Lisbon match last night. Great picture- rubbish match!
I'll tell you why I bought this telly in short form (it took me months of agonising in reality).
I dont need a telly bigger than 40".
All current 40" units are LCD and to my eyes (forget the specs) the LCD's dont handle motion anywhere near as well as plasma.
There is only one 37"/40" Plasma available and that's the Panny.
To be sure I went to an Empire store and they had the PX70, PX80 and the 37" full HD LCD.
The two plasmas both easily outperformed the LCD in every area I could measure by eye (motion, contrast, colour quality).
The PX 70 was reduced to £600 and would have been a great buy. However I got them to price match Dixons at £729 (after £20 online voucher) for the PX80 and the improved contrast, 3 xHDMI and the "comfort" of having the latest model was easilly worth the extra £130.
Also to back up what I am saying WHF did a group test of 37"/40" full HD sets this month in which the Panny 37" LCD won however the reviewers stated that that they still prefered the PX70 plasma overall.
So in conclusdion the Panny 37 LCD is the best 37/40 full HD set out there, the PX70 plasma is better than that and the PX80 is better than that. Ergo the TH37- PX80 is the best 37/40" TV out there irrespective of the specs.
And I challenge anyone to spot the difference (at a normal viewing distance from the screen) on a 40" TV between a good 720P picture and a 1080P one.
Also dont forget that currently most over air or DVD material is only SD anyway and therefore a 1080P set needs to "stretch" SD pictures to a factor of almost 2X which can't be a good thing!

[/quote]

Thanks for such a good 'review'.

I am seriously considering getting a Panasonic Plasma as I am fed up with backlight bleed on my LCD. Not sure though whether Panasonic would exchange a 32" LCD for a 37" Plasma though?

Would you be kind enough to let me know the measurements (with stand) so I can see whether it will fit in the space I have?

What is the SD picture like, as this is what I will be watching, and DVDs?

Also, do you have to keep Plasmas on 'lower' settings for a while and so have reduced picture quality or is this another Plasma myth?

The only two things bothering me about getting Plasma is the screen reflection, especially since my Tv is near a window (I hated seeing myself 'on telly' on my CRT) and the power consumption since I watch at least six hours of TV per day!

A

Anonymous

Got one last week, the built in digital tuner gives a superb picture, dvds via the PS3 are even better, haven't watched any HD yet but even if it does get any better still worth every penny.

Only cost £660 delivered from AJ Electrical

A

Anonymous

Hi..I was looking at the same deal you did through AJ's but was put off by a number of bad customer reviews about the site, delivery problems ect. just wondered what your experience was like dealing with them & if you would recommend them?

A

Anonymous

Hi Scotsgirl
The measurements can be found on the web just google it, the set is great on SD (thats all I watch at present) and with a good signal almost as good as my 32" panny Quintrix CRT (still the best telly I,ve ever seen).
The new PX80 suffers less from reflection than other plasmas Ive seen as it has an Anti-Reflective coating unlike most which have an awful gloss finish!
As regards the lower settings thing, sceeen burn is now a non issue really unless you leave a high contrast logo or text on the screen for hours. Sky sports news is bad news for screen burn as is teletext but only if left for (very) long periods.
In short buy it it's a great set and I haven't seen anything better unless you want to spend double the ammount for the 42" Pioneer Kuro and even then in most conditions the Panny is as good on SD.

A

Anonymous

Thanks ever so much for the info Stiggy. Much appreciated!

What settings do you have yours on and will you be keeping it on these after the 'run in' period.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys

Would any of you be able to comment on performance with an Xbox or PS3, particularly regarding plasma/green smear in games?

Cheers

John Duncan

[quote user="markey"]hi as anyone seen a test report or review of this new panisonic model or can anyone you purchased one tell me thier feelings on this set your comments would be appreciated[/quote]

Guy next to me at work got one because he was at the dealers with his wife and she's looking at them all and says "I want *that* one". Head and shoulders above everything else, apparently. Am considering whether I can fit a 37" in, as will get one myself if I can.

A

Anonymous

Just ordered mine from John Lewis - Solihull. £669.99 with a 5 year warranty. John Lewis price matched Empire Direct. Pick it up next Thursday... can't wat!!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="neilbond007"]Just ordered mine from John Lewis - Solihull. £669.99 with a 5 year warranty. John Lewis price matched Empire Direct. Pick it up next Thursday... can't wat!!![/quote]

hi neil what proof do you need at john lewis's for a price match and do you have to pick up yourself

A

Anonymous

[quote user="markey"][quote user="neilbond007"]Just ordered mine from John Lewis - Solihull. £669.99 with a 5 year warranty. John Lewis price matched Empire Direct. Pick it up next Thursday... can't wat!!![/quote] hi neil what proof do you need at john lewis's for a price match and do you have to pick up yourself[/quote]

Just call JL and ask for a price-match. They'll ask you for the details of the store to match against and give you a call back within a day or two. They should offer free delivery or you can pick it up yourself if you can't wait (like me!)

Peter Bleakley

Feb 21, 2008
Visit site
I presume the price matching at JL has to be a store price? I've looked on the Empire Direct site and the same TV is £669.99 but with only a 3 year warranty. JL has a 5 year. Will they still match the price and offer the 5 year deal?

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
I really wanted a set with Picture in Picture, which this doesn`t have, but Im going to sacrifice that and get this set. Just waiting for a Price Match from John Lewis at £647.

Hopefully should here from the price match people within 2 days.

JL`s must do a lot of business in TV`s as I hear of so many people buying from them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts