How good is the Arcam 250? Which speakers could you pair with it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I take it your are asking about the SR250, rather than the much older AVR250?

What is your thinking behind looking at this?

Arcam works with many speakers, from Kef to PMC.

D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
I take it your are asking about the SR250, rather than the much older AVR250?

What is your thinking behind looking at this?

Arcam works with many speakers, from Kef to PMC.
The SR250. Thinking about creating a 2 channel speaker setup.

Would you recommend the Kef LS50’s? Or something different? Cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

Q5 said:
Is this for a seperate system Gel, or are you dropping down to a 2 channel system.
Separate system, just a 2 Channel one.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
The SR250. Thinking about creating a 2 channel speaker setup.

Would you recommend the Kef LS50’s? Or something different? Cheers

I don't want to be encouraging you to buy something you don't need...but am happy to throw some thoughts at this, provided you don't rushing odd to buy it.

I suppose, it depends if you are getting it cheap....because at the price it sells for, you can now get the Arcam A49, which is much better, but doesn't come with all the bells and whistles.

I would recommend that you try some speakers, suitable for your room, which may include LS50s (which I own and drive with Arcam)...but there are other options from the likes of PMC, ATC and ProAc.

Is this going to be in a separate room?

D

Deleted member 2457

Maybe, not decided just yet, yep, just doing some research. Another problem I have my Pioneer is sometimes not working right from the off. It’s happened twice in the last week. I power on and no sound from the speakers. So I switch it back off and then power up again then it works, a bit concerned now it’s on it’s last legs, what do you think? This would put pay to the 2 channel sound if I have to buy another amp, first I would have to save up for it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If your AV amp dies, you can combine decent 2 channel, with AV, either by going for an Arcam Class G AV amp, or get a much cheaper AV amp and use the Pre-Outs into a decent 2 Channel Amp with HT Bypass....it all depends on how much you value 2 Channel vs AV.

CnoEvil said:
If your AV amp dies, you can combine decent 2 channel, with AV, either by going for an Arcam Class G AV amp, or get a much cheaper AV amp and use the Pre-Outs into a decent 2 Channel Amp with HT Bypass....it all depends on how much you value 2 Channel vs AV.
The system becomes complicated that way. Not sure gel will prefer that.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
CnoEvil said:
If your AV amp dies, you can combine decent 2 channel, with AV, either by going for an Arcam Class G AV amp, or get a much cheaper AV amp and use the Pre-Outs into a decent 2 Channel Amp with HT Bypass....it all depends on how much you value 2 Channel vs AV.
The system becomes complicated that way. Not sure gel will prefer that.

Gel simply wants to chat about what he might do...better than buying and telling us afterwards. The logic of various options can then be amicably teased out, which will hopefully result in a sensible course of action...and is better than simply shutting down the conversation (IMO).

D

Deleted member 2457

If I am replacing my Pioneer amp, I will consider the Arcam 850, the Pioneer sc-lx901 and the Denon amps. I keep hearing good things about the Arcam’s though.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
If I am replacing my Pioneer amp, I will consider the Arcam 850, the Pioneer sc-lx901 and the Denon amps. I keep hearing good things about the Arcam’s though.

IMO. With the Arcam, you won't need a separate 2 Channel Amp...though it would be worth comparing to BB's suggestion as well, in case it covers your bases, for less money.

D

Deleted member 2457

At the moment I am quite concerned about my Pioneer amp, it has not powered on probably since I started this thread. Working again next time fine though. Watching Pirates of the Caribbean on Sky at the moment, it is fantastic Sony Oled.

D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
gel said:

IMO. With the Arcam, you won't need a separate 2 Channel Amp...though it would be worth comparing to BB's suggestion as well, in case it covers your bases, for less money.
Frank Harvey will lend me the Arcam. Richer Sounds the Pioneer sc-lx901. Not sure about Denon’s To be honest.

D

Deleted member 2457

Is Arcam releasing any new amps this year? Thanks.

buzz_lightclick

gel said:
CnoEvil said:
gel said:

Frank Harvey will lend me the Arcam. Richer Sounds the Pioneer sc-lx901. Not sure about Denon’s To be honest.

You may as well try out the Arcam and the Pioneer at home then and see which you prefer. You will probably find the Pioneer easier to use as it will have more similarities to your SC-LX81. The Arcam will be better in stereo mode.

Pioneer SC-LX502 has more watts per channel than the 901. Most expensive in the range does not necessarily mean best in the range. Avoid 11 channel amps if you don't need so many channels as compromises are made to accommodate 11 channels.

buzz_lightclick

bigboss said:
Pioneer SC-LX502 has more watts per channel than the 901. Most expensive in the range does not necessarily mean best in the range. Avoid 11 channel amps if you don't need so many channels as compromises are made to accommodate 11 channels.

More watts doesn’t necessarily mean the amp is better! The 502 is the entry level in the SC-LX range.

The 901 is the top of the line, not just because it offers the most channels

buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:

More watts doesn’t necessarily mean the amp is better! The 502 is the entry level in the SC-LX range. 

Can you explain other reasons? When you squeeze 11 channels of amplification in one box, compromises are made. If you buy an amp with less channels for similar money, you're buying better components. Gel does not need so many channels. He has a 5.1 system. Effectively, he's paying for 6 extra channels he does not need.

The 502 is just an example of how the same manufacturer could not put a more powerful amplifier in its flagship model to even match the output of the entry level model.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:

Can you explain other reasons? When you squeeze 11 channels of amplification in one box, compromises are made. If you buy an amp with less channels for similar money, you're buying better components. Gel does not need so many channels. He has a 5.1 system. Effectively, he's paying for 6 extra channels he does not need.

The 502 is just an example of how the same manufacturer could not put a more powerful amplifier in its flagship model to even match the output of the entry level model.
Thats very interesting BB. I think I am going a bit crazy with my budget now. I will probably home demo the Denon 6400 first then.

D

Deleted member 2457

Is the Denon 2700 the one at Peter Tyson for £1500? Because on AVForums quite a few people had it and then not had it. See review on AVForums.

https://www.avforums.com/review/denon-avr-x7200w-review.11351

10 people had it - a bit of a concern. It’s also quite old, not sure how capatible it is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts