How far have receivers come in 6 years?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought my first (and only) receiver way back in 2002/3. Working in computers as I do, I know that a 6 year old PC is pre-historic compared with a PC of today. So, I'm wondering does the same hold true for AV Receivers?

I'm asking because I'm considering replacing my aging Sony STR DB1080 (anyone rember those) with possibly the Denon 1909 or even the Sony 2400 (if they ever sort out their problem).

As these cost pretty much the same as my old unit at the time (£400 - £500 bracket) is there much change?

Thanks
G

A

Anonymous

In terms of features yes modern recivers are pretty impressive my onkyo 875 even gives me a better picture on my telly ;-0
In terms of sound quality i dont think much has changed! There very little to choose between my old pioneer vsx2011(5 years old) and my onkyo.

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
I also have a STR DB1080 and have been considering an upgrade since last year.

I demoed several options at around £500 including the Sony 1200 and Onkyo 605.
While both sounded better than my DB1080 the difference wasn't enough to make an upgrade worthwhile purely on sound quality.

For me the upgrade will come when a receiver has enough features to make it reasonably future proof, the Sony 2400 looks the most likely of the sub £500 choices to meet this aim.

A

Anonymous

Hey Geedubÿ

Ive just come out on the other side of your situation.I have/had an even older DB 930 and I have to say that upgrading is well worth it. Youÿdefinitelyÿget more features, but I would also say if you take advantage of product cycles you can pick up some real bargains that leap frog you up the quality ladder! Ive just managed to get hold of a brand new Onkyo 875 ÿfor £650 from Richer Sounds. And the difference is sound is veryÿnoticeable. I guess it does depend on the rest of your setup (electronics and speakers) but while I was testing the amp I didnt have my sub hooked up, yet the bass performance seemed so much better. I dont need to tell you what happened when I did hook it up ;) The only people that wont like an upgraded amp is your neighbours!!!

Anyway I would say keep an open mind and dont nessesarily go for the latest model in your price range. Take a look at last years models and bag yourself a bargain. The way I look at it; last years higher end models have all the features that are trickling down the ranges today so you dont really loose out in that repect...

ÿHope that helps!ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Quite a way.

AV amps now have Room EQ processing, HD audio processing, HDMI connections and they upscale video. Amps at £400 have features that were either unavailable at the time or were only available on high end AV amplifiers and processors. These current AV amps are tremendous value for money, something which many overlook when trying to buy things on the cheap.

My old AV amp was around 5/6 years ago, and changing to the equivalent one now sounds far better, even just using DD and DTS from DVD.

A

Anonymous

6 years ago you could never get 140Wpc, let alone 7.1 decoding, for under £500 or THX Ultra for under £650. HDMI is so much more convenient than phonos and scarts/component.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts