How does Virgin optic fibre internet works?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Guys,

Need some help to understand how it works:

- for a block of flats, how the connection is done? where does the optic fibre stops and normal telephone line starts? do they just connect fibre to copper somewhere outside the block / outside the flat? i.e. no additional cables into the flat?

- how do I connect my router? same telephone line as before or is there another Virgin device required/provided?

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i live in an old victorian house converted to flats and have virgin broadband, i do think its a bit pricey but given that it is one of the few that doesnt require a bt landline its isnt so bad. the cable they installed is a thick white cable that doesnt look like a copper phone line but i dont know whether it is a fibre optic cable or not. i would guess it is as other people i know have the same cable and wall boxes for virgin tv. this used to go to a modem that was then linked normally to a router, it has since been replaced with a superhub that seems to be a modem and router all in one. this btw is a lot better than the old netgear router for wireless. its advertised as 30mb and i was sceptical until the first speedtest i did gave me 32mb on a wireless connection (tho very close and with no solid walls). even through the old victorian brickwork into other rooms 20mb is the norm.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Thats correct. Our Virgin line goes from the street under the garden to a "junction box" outside the house. From there are two seperate feeds, one for the phone and one for the broadband.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, guys.

omg! I was not expecting that! new cables etc...

So, am I right to understand:

- I pick up internet from virgin wireless modem/router either via wifi or ethernet

- i pick up telephone ... where? wall outlet as before or is it again from the modem/router?

- virgin modem/router is inside the flat and is connected to the newly installed virgin cable. (or can it be outside?)

Correct?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks!

Does the Virgin twisted pair cable at some point join the existing telephone wiring of the building? In other words, I do not want the installers to run new wiring, I do want to use the existing one.

Is that possible?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Thanks!

Does the Virgin twisted pair cable at some point join the existing telephone wiring of the building? In other words, I do not want the installers to run new wiring, I do want to use the existing one.

Is that possible?

Based on the recent experience of my father having Virgin installed for broadband and phone, yes the installer was able to connect the Virgin phone service to his existing wiring, though I guess this may vary according to how your existing wiring is configured.

But the cable for the broadband will be new, and yes the modem/router needs to be inside the premises.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Flats are generally pre-wired as much as possible, i.e. there's bound to be a shaft of some kind going up from ground level to the roof. Connection points are likely to be in there. No fibre in the block itself, it will be RF cable at that point for CATV / Broadband with twisted pair for the telephone.

Rich

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>I guess this may vary according to how your existing wiring is configured.<

I had cable done back in ntl: days, and the installer wouldn't tinker with BT's 'master' socket, but you can rewire extension sockets to the Virgin's phone point.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
amcluesent said:
>I guess this may vary according to how your existing wiring is configured.<

I had cable done back in ntl: days, and the installer wouldn't tinker with BT's 'master' socket, but you can rewire extension sockets to the Virgin's phone point.
I have read before that they are not supposed to muck about with the master socket but NTL certainly did with mine. When I switched from BT to NTL all my phone sockets worked as before. The phone has worked perfectly since installation.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Thank you, guys. Good info.

An engineer visited today for a survey but it was inconclusive as he could not get to the roof. another survey tomorrow. Hopefully.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
amcluesent said:
Virgin take optical to cabinets in the street, then it's coaxial copper into homes, plus the twisted-pair for PSTN phone line.

That'll be the green/sometimes grey coloured box away at the end of a street for optical.... then the line from That box is a copper wire then to my small box on the front of my house then ? and then copper to my computer/tv then ? (still learning) :~

I am signed-up for up to 20 GB's and tbh it is usually around 19 :)

A

Anonymous

Where does the Virgin PSTN connection connect to the national infrastructure?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts