How does SD tv perform on a LX5090?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I read that the LX5090 is one of the best tvs out there, but I only watch sd tv (mostly daytime tv). Sitting about 2m from the screen is the picture quality of SD good on this tv, or would it be better on a small tv?

A

Anonymous

2 metres is too close to be watching sd on a 50 inch tv , you would be better with a 40,42 inch , id be looking at panasonic 42inch g10 plasma , sony 40w5500 , samsung 40b650 , lcds .

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
CuriousGeorge:I read that the LX5090 is one of the best tvs out there, but I only watch sd tv (mostly daytime tv). Sitting about 2m from the screen is the picture quality of SD good on this tv, or would it be better on a small tv?

The LX5090 is IMHO still the best 50" TV on the market (some are closing the gap) but what you have to take into account is that any Full 1080HD panel has a lot of scaling to do with a SD picture and this can have a knock-on efferct on the picture buy adding picture noise and digital artifacts, so the larger the screen the more obvious these effects can be. In saying that tho the LX5090 does have very good onbaord scaling but from 2M you may still find any atrifacts off putting.

I sit about 10ft for my Samsung 50" Full HD plasma and on the whole find SD more than OK for normal viewing and any atrifacts do not really distract to much tho some channels are far worse than others due to poor transmissions their end!

The LX5090 is a fantastic TV but it really does deserve a HD feed to see it at its best.

Personally I find SD looks far worse on a LCD over a good Plasma.

A

Anonymous

I have a LX5090 and find the SD (via Freeview) picture very watchable. Not perfect but pretty damn good. However, I sit between 3m and 3.5m from the screen.

If you can, try to get a demonstration. I had always been put off buying one as I assumed the SD Freeview picture would be too compromised on such a large screen. However, my local Sevenoaks Sound & Vision had the screen set up in store and were able to show me exactly what it was like with a Freeview feed.

Consequently I bought it from them and have not regretted it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for your input. As suspected, I'll look for a smaller tv, and perhaps a plasma instead of an lcd...

A

Anonymous

Kuro is fine TV,still the best regarding colours and black level, but I never liked its rather blurry picture (both SD & HD). Panasonic has noticably sharper picture. Thats for looking to Kuro from 3.5m. From 2m SD picture is awful. Go for 40-42"

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SasaK:Kuro is fine TV,still the best regarding colours and black level, but I never liked its rather blurry picture (both SD & HD).

Cobblers, there's nothing blurry about the Kuro HD image.

Bazzy

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry but Pioneer's processing is the best out there and no other TV can match the Kuro's on SD stuff - that is almost universally accepted.

Bazzy!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Bazzy: Sorry but Pioneer's processing is the best out there and no other TV can match the Kuro's on SD stuff - that is almost universally accepted.

I'd have to go along with that, this morning I was watching that bastion of image quality Motors TV and I have to say the KRP-500a even made that look acceptable!

A

Anonymous

well, picture processing and sharpnes are not the same thing. Compare 5090 and V10 of the same size. Picture always looks noticably sharper on Panny (especially if u avoid THX mode), from SD to fullhd. Pioneer prefer that type of rather soft processing since their first plasmas till they left the business. Someone say its natural, id say its soft, and i dont like it...

A

Anonymous

Forgot to mention, I measured distance to be exactly 2m from 5090, and forced myself to watch SD programs for 15 minutes... No one can convince me thats acceptable picture quality from that distance...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SasaK:Forgot to mention, I measured distance to be exactly 2m from 5090, and forced myself to watch SD programs for 15 minutes... No one can convince me thats acceptable picture quality from that distance...

You do know that's far too close to be sitting to any 50" screen don't you?

A

Anonymous

Suer I do, but that was the original question - SD performance on Kuro from 2 m...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SasaK:
well, picture processing and sharpnes are not the same thing. Compare 5090 and V10 of the same size. Picture always looks noticably sharper on Panny (especially if u avoid THX mode), from SD to fullhd. Pioneer prefer that type of rather soft processing since their first plasmas till they left the business. Someone say its natural, id say its soft, and i dont like it...

Presumably then you've got the two sets side by side, calibrated the same, showing the same feed in order to be able to make this comparison?

Not an experiment I'm in a position to repeat unfortunately. However my dad has a Panasonic Plasma and I have to say I'd take the SD picture of my KRP-500a over it any day of the week.

A

Anonymous

Sorry for spaming :)

I forgot to mention, Kuro dont like daytime viewing, its picture is rather dim.. Panasonic plasmas are brighter, LCD TV are the brightest, and IMHO the best for daytime viewing

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SasaK: Suer I do, but that was the original question - SD performance on Kuro from 2 m...

Yeah I know but the OPs already been told he'd be better off with a 40 or 42" screen from that distance.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SasaK: Sorry for spaming :)
I forgot to mention, Kuro dont like daytime viewing, its picture is rather dim.. Panasonic plasmas are brighter, LCD TV are the brightest, and IMHO the best for daytime viewing

Hmm, well I've never noticed that being a problem either if I'm honest, I spent most of last weekend watching TV (we had guests, I'm very rude!), the Athletics on EurosportHD looked pretty damn good during the day, none of the other people watching with me had any complaints either, glowing praise in fact, one person said he thought the picture was better than his bosses new B&O 65" plasma (although personally I don't think that's saying much, other than as a reflection on the price difference...), someone else said it was like sitting in the stadium.

Obviously I don't have the set sited in a position that allows sunlight to fall on the screen but I wouldn't expect any TV to cope with that particularly well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks appreciate the time to test this!

SasaK:Forgot to mention, I measured distance to be exactly 2m from 5090, and forced myself to watch SD programs for 15 minutes... No one can convince me thats acceptable picture quality from that distance...

A

Anonymous

I heard this as well which if why Im tempted to get one of the new sharp led tvs (or any other led tv for that matter)...

SasaK:I forgot to mention, Kuro dont like daytime viewing, its picture is rather dim.. Panasonic plasmas are brighter, LCD TV are the brightest, and IMHO the best for daytime viewing

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Regarding the Kuros, there are some very unusual opinions being expressed here.

Two of the strongest selling points are:

a) outstanding upscaling of SD material - so good that external upscaling from DVD/blu-ray players and amps is, in my experience, redundant

b) outstanding contrast levels - to quote Mr McEnroe, if you think 'its picture is rather dim', you CANNOT be serious! :)

I have never seen someone else's TV and felt any kind of envy.....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sorreltiger: Regarding the Kuros, there are some very unusual opinions being expressed here.
Two of the strongest selling points are:

a) outstanding upscaling of SD material - so good that external upscaling from DVD/blu-ray players and amps is, in my experience, redundant

I have to admit I@ve not been as impressed with DVD pictures as I was hoping, you'd think by what some people have said that it's almost as good as Blu-Ray, however I watched House of Flying Daggers the other day on DVD and I wasn't that impressed. Nothing wrong with the picture as such but it's noticably SD. I should point out this is from a DVD player connected via component inputs running at 576p, I don't know if the screen only upscales from an HDMI input?

b) outstanding contrast levels - to quote Mr McEnroe, if you think 'its picture is rather dim', you CANNOT be serious! :)

Yeah this is the one that really puzzles me, I can only assume the Kuros in question are configured oddly or are in the highest poer save mode. That would cause them to seem dimmer than expected.

I have never seen someone else's TV and felt any kind of envy.....

No, me neither, I quite like Panasonics but they always seem to have an odd yellow-green tinge with SD material that I've never seen on any other sets. I've seen it on two Pioneer plasmas of different sizes and models so it would seem to be more than coincidence.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CuriousGeorge:I heard this as well which if why Im tempted to get one of the new sharp led tvs (or any other led tv for that matter)...

SasaK:I forgot to mention, Kuro dont like daytime viewing, its picture is rather dim.. Panasonic plasmas are brighter, LCD TV are the brightest, and IMHO the best for daytime viewing

Sounds to me like you've already made your mind up, but with any purchase of this nature (and cost) I'd strongly suggest you demo as many different screens as you can, making sure they're properly configured.

Having said all that you'll be struggling to get a Kuro now anyway so the decision might not be yours to make...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts