How do you set up a subwoofer?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've done a little research on the connections and my Marantz 7001PM has both a "Main in" and a "Pre Out".

That's as far as I've got to understanding what will happen if I plug a sub into these. Don't even know if I can or should plug both into the sub *pauses to imagine exploding subwoofer...

Also knowledge of what a "High level lead" is and does for a system I'm only currently guessing at. Or on that note, the "High in" and "Low in" on the sub woofer could do with a lil explaining.

Thanks,

Charles

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Chas

It would be a help if you told us the make and model of your sub. You really need to read the manual for the sub as detailed setup can vary. In the meantime, here's some top-level guidance with no warranty on its applicabilty to your set up.

The high-level inputs are for connecting to your amp's speaker terminals. You connect them in parallel with the speakers so the sub receives the same signal. You MUST NOT use these connections without speakers connected. I would expect you to have a cable with three wires (left, right and a common earth) but see your sub manual for details.

The low-level inputs are used with your amp's pre-outs or with the LFE output of an AV amp. You typically connect these with standard RCA - RCA interconnects. Usually you only connect one channel but you can get Y shaped cables to combine the left and right outputs from your amp into one input to the sub. Again, this is an area where things can vary.

Most subs (there are some exceptions) don't allow you to use high and low level inputs at the same time and, in some cases, they say it'll damage the sub if you do.

Without knowing which sub you have I can't be more helpful.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to another thread, come November I'll be getting the BK XXLS400.

The best pic of the back I've seen for the subwoofer is:

EDITED BY MODS - for House Rules

The best pic of the back I've seen for the Matantz is:

http://www.avland.co.uk/marantz/pm7001/rearlrg.jpg

Thanks for your advice so far,

Hope this helps you help me,

Charles

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I couldn't find the manual for the XXLS400 online but the XLS200 seems to have a similar feature set and you'll find the manual here: http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200%20MK2%20MANUAL.pdf

It has separate gain controls for high and low inputs so it's possible to use both at the same time but, unless you have an AV amp, you won't have a need to. It looks like it comes bundled with both a three wire Neutrik cable and a pair of phono leads so you're spoilt for choice. If you don't have an AV amp, I'd be tempted to use the phono leads purely for ease of connection.

The manual seems to contain sensible instructions on setup and you'll find info elsewhere on WHF and other forums.

Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

It says in the manual to attach the R to the L and the L to the R in an integrated amp. Um, why?

I'll prolly use both connections to get the most out of it if that's what it supports.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Chazn2:It says in the manual to attach the R to the L and the L to the R in an integrated amp. Um, why?

Not a clue. Given that the subwoofer is mono, it shouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts