How do I connect my old DVD system to my new Plasma TV?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am waiting until we decorate our living room before I totally upgrade my home cinema system. However, I have bought a new Panasonic 42inch Plasma TV which is exceptionally good and I want to temporarily connect my old Sony home cinema system (model no: DAV-S500) to my new Plasma TV (model no: TH-42PX70B).

I connected the Sony to my old TV via a video out to video in cable. My problem is I cannot determine which video cable I need to connect the DVD to the TV.

The TV has component video in (Y, Pb, Pr) and Scart. I am ignoring the HDMI connection.

The DVD player has video out, s-video out but no Scart output.

Any suggestions?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Best bet is an S-video to Scart cable. Most of the cable manufacturers make them for just this purpose. Make sure the Sony system is set to output s-video and the TV set to receive it - you'll find these options in the set-up menus

A

Anonymous

Andrew, Thanks for your suggestion. Yesterday I bought an S-video to Scart cable and tried it last night. The Sony system must automatically set itself to s-video if the s-video output connector is used as there is no option in the set-up menu. The Panasonic TV was set to AV2S. I got a picture but it was black and white. I checked the cables were connected securely and I scoured the set up menus for an option to set but found nothing.

Does anybody have any suggestions or do I accept I cannot connect the two systems?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Bit baffled on that one. Check that the cable is wired as S-Video output to Scart input, rather than vice versa, but beyond that all I can suggest is that you try all three Scart sockets, as they should all accept S-video input, and recheck the settings (see pages 16 and 50 of the manual).

Failing that you should return the cable and go for one with a component video output to Scart and try that, or simply use the S-video input on the front panel of the TV, designated as AV4 and use an S-video-to-S-video cable from the Sony.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, Thanks for your prompt response but it looks as though these two boxes will not connect. The cable is wired as S-Video output to Scart input. There are only two Scart sockets on the TV and I have tried them both, neither worked.

There is no component video output on the Sony, only s-video and composite video. There is no S-video input on the front panel of the TV and there is no AV4 option on the TV.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Really sorry - went on to the Panasonic support site to pull down the manual earlier today to try to sort this, but for some reason the manual for the -700 series set was retrieved instead of the -70. Hence my mistake on the front panel S-video input, which seems to be on the 700 but not the 70.

Looks like you are stuck on this one - the only short term solution would be an RF modulator like this, which will take composite video from the Sony and feed it in through the Panasonic's aerial socket. You then just tune in a channel on the TV to take the Sony's picture, and your existing TV aerial plugs through the modulator box. Depends how long you're planning to go before the upgrade, really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts