How Do I Connect Headphones to Yamaha Sound Bar?

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Just had a new TV / Sound System installed and to compliment it I went out and bought a pair of Sennheiser RS180 headphones.

However, I can't seem to work out how to connect them to my soundbar as all the connections are input and there is no output or headphone socket.

The sound bar is a Yamaha YSP-4300 and is top end in terms of sound bars and specification.

There is a headphone socket on the TV but I'm not getting anythng from that and even if I did I would, presumably, not get sound from any of the other sources such as Blu-Ray and Streamer.

The headphones base station has Line Out R & L RCA jacks and a 3.5mm audio in jack.

Anyone faced a similar problem or know how I can overcome?

Thanks

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Tricky one this. The only way that might be possible that I can think of is if you can enable pass through of the HDMI audio signal through the sound bar straight through to the TV. It’s been a while since I had one of these on demo and I can’t see an online manual for the YSP I’m afraid so am struggling to check. You will need to double check the settings on the Soundbar to see if this is possible (it should be). This should then give you sound for all connected sources through the TV speakers.

Basically if you can get the sound to work out of the TV speakers you should then be able to use the headphone output on the TV to connect your headphones to.

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your reply.

You're on the right track as I spoke with Yamaha today and they said that if I put the soundbar into standby mode the audio should be pushed through to the TV's speakers and then I could plug the headphones into the headphone socket on the TV.

However, when I put the soundbar into standby the TV remains on but loses the picture and, obviously, sound.

I turned the sound up on the TV just in case sound was being received but nothing.

I need to examine the manual closer as I'm not really familiar with audio set-up. The manual is available on-line here: http://tinyurl.com/lnurzz7

I'll update if I resolve! Incidentally, the TV is a Samsung 46F8000 and it has a HDMI (ARC) of which the cable is plugged into and connected to the soundbar OUT (ARC) socket.

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Sorted.

On the soundbar I had to turn "HDMI Control" to "ON". I can now listen to TV, Bluray and Sky via headphones.

However, I now need to work out how to listen to my streamer which is connected via optical lead. I have selected the Optical input on the soundbar and then put the soundbar into standby but the output from the streamer is not being pushed to my headphones?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a Yamaha AVR, it passes hdmi sound through on standby.

However when listening to my Sonos connect by optical it needs to be on, although tbh I've not really looked into a work around.

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
themovierooms said:
Good work, I’m glad you got it sorted. The pass-through for audio may only be on HDMI I’m afraid to say. :cry:

You're right it is only HDMI pass-through.

I have the Cambridge Audio Magic 6 Streamer and it does have RCA phono outputs. The TV (Samsung UE46F8000) has a 3.5mm video in jack so I thought that by connecting the streamer RCA outputs to the phono left and right inputs on the TV it would work (I used the lead from my wii)

I thought wrong! At first it did appear to but then the sound went off and everytime I went on the TV menu to switch inputs the sound came back on but when I settled on an input it went off.

So I then began thinking that I've broken something so I connected the wii back up again and the sound came through that as well as the picture. So I then disconnected the left and right phonos from the wii and connected my streamer back up and hey presto it works perfectly.

Puzzled I then wondered why. So I turned off the wii and the audio stopped. Switch wii back on and all works OK.

So it will only work when the video lead is connected to the wii and the wii is switched on.

Surely there must be another way?? I have a £1900 TV and £700 streamer and it needs the wii to be switched on for me to hear the sound from my streamer via my headphones!

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
I have no clue what is going on with this but it temporarily was working via the optical input but when I came out of it and then tried to go back in I got no output!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts