How did the Rega RS3s gain another star?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
On page 46 (January 2012 issue, 'One-Make-Systems') the Rega RS3 speakers were individually rated as 5 stars.

In the same 'One-Make-Systems' test last year (ok it might have been the year before, I no longer have the relevant issues to hand) the RS3s were rated as 4 star speakers.

Is this due to a different team of reviewers? Or is it because the new Rega Brio-R gets more out of the RS3s?

I know Rega 'revised' the RS range last year, but the only changes to the RS3s were cosmetic. (The RS7s were the only speakers Rega changed internally with a crossover 'tweak').

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'll have to check with those of the reviewing team not in Las Vegas tomorrow – reviewers the same for that test, so I suspect it's to do with the context of the system in which they were used.

chebby said:
On page 46 (January 2012 issue, 'One-Make-Systems') the Rega RS3 speakers were individually rated as 5 stars.

In the same 'One-Make-Systems' test last year (ok it might have been the year before, I no longer have the relevant issues to hand) the RS3s were rated as 4 star speakers.

Is this due to a different team of reviewers? Or is it because the new Rega Brio-R gets more out of the RS3s?

I know Rega 'revised' the RS range last year, but the only changes to the RS3s were cosmetic. (The RS7s were the only speakers Rega changed internally with a crossover 'tweak').

Probably the latter.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
I'll have to check with those of the reviewing team not in Las Vegas tomorrow – reviewers the same for that test, so I suspect it's to do with the context of the system in which they were used.

Thanks.

I have recommended Rega RS3s here a number of times in the past (when I felt it was appropriate) but always had - in the back of my mind - the knowledge that WHF? seemed to consider them somehow a bit 'less than' Rega's turntables and CD players and (more recently) their new amp and DAC.

I was pleased to see that the Rega system took the overall One-Make-System 'Test Winner' title (even up against a Naim/Neat system costing £3000 more!)

Looking forward to the review of the new Rega Apollo-R.

I have only ever had about 15 months without at least one major Rega component in my system, since 1983, and I still admire them enormously as a company and not just as a range of great products.

They really seem to understand 'synergy' like almost no other hifi manufacturer.

chebby said:
Andrew Everard said:

Thanks.

I have recommended Rega RS3s here a number of times in the past (when I felt it was appropriate) but always had - in the back of my mind - the knowledge that WHF? seemed to consider them somehow a bit 'less than' Rega's turntables and CD players and (more recently) their new amp and DAC.

I was pleased to see that the Rega system took the overall One-Make-System 'Test Winner' title (even up against a Naim/Neat system costing £3000 more!)

Looking forward to the review of the new Rega Apollo-R.

I have only ever had about 15 months without at least one major Rega component in my system, since 1983, and I still admire them enormously as a company and not just as a range of great products.

They really seem to understand 'synergy' like almost no other hifi manufacturer.

I've always been tempted by the RS3 but put off by the side firing cone. Just don't think there's enough room. Hey-ho.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I've always been tempted by the RS3 but put off by the side firing cone. Just don't think there's enough room.

My R3s are about 6ft apart and the bass drivers face each other. Best if there is no hifi rack or other furniture between them. (But that is true of most speakers of course.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Linn, Meridian and Naim might query thay synergy remark, Chebby, not to mention B&O.

Hence my use of 'almost'.

I wrote that as someone who had an all-Naim system (including speakers and speaker cable and interconnects) until 10 months ago, which is part of the reason I used the word 'almost'.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
I've always been tempted by the RS3 but put off by the side firing cone. Just don't think there's enough room.

My R3s are about 6ft apart and the bass drivers face each other. Best if there is no hifi rack or other furniture between them. (But that is true of most speakers of course.)

That's my problem - TV and hi-fi rack is between the speakers (roughly 6.5' apart). The TV is approx 4-6" from the left hand speaker and the rack is approx 8" from the right hand one.

I've always said in theory my system shouldn't work as well as it does, but somehow it does.

(I remember when Chris and Joe came to my gaff to do a 'Reader Rescue' they commented on how good it all sounded given the lack of space)

mattmeer

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the Rega RS3's in a Rega DAC & Rega Brio-R & Rega Quattro speaker cable setup, and while the speakers were very smooth in the mids and highs, and had great rhythm and speed, I did find them a bit lacking in the mid-bass. I could live with them but after having heard PMC speakers in my setup I find PMC more natural, and a more even tonal balance. Rega's RS3's are very agile and rhythmic, but misses some 'body' which makes them sound a bit skinny.

After hearing PMC speakers however, I find most speakers lack some body, this must be because PMC uses the ATL transmission line.

A

Anonymous

@mattmeer - what speakers did you end up with? I too found the RS3 way too thin - I prefer my Mission 760i. The RS5 was had slightly more body, but not massively. I'm interested to here what other speakers are being used. I demo'd the Totem Arro & enjoyed, but the lack of speaker grill puts me off (little fingers.....)

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
chebby said:

The answer is that there have been component and other changes to the RS3s since we last tested them in the one-make systems test in our January 2010 issue. The upgrades were more than cosmetic, Rega told us, and the performance gains sufficient to gain them another star.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
chebby said:

The answer is that there have been component and other changes to the RS3s since we last tested them in the one-make systems test in our January 2010 issue. The upgrades were more than cosmetic, Rega told us, and the performance gains sufficient to gain them another star.

Thanks Andy.

It seems I was mis-informed about the RS speaker range revamp at the time...

http://www.signals.uk.com/regarsseriessign.html

I am going to get along to my local Rega dealer and have another listen. (I have only heard the pre 'revamp' versions and assumed - because of that news item linked above - that the latest RS3s were only cosmetically changed.)

SteveR750

A few years ago I listened to the R3 when demoing some speakers to go with my NAD kit, the ubiquituous B&W 602 S3 was top of my list, but the shop threw the Regas into the mix. If I had the cash I would have bought them there and there, a big step up from the B&Ws. There are a couple a pairs loitering on the 'bay as we speak.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts