• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Interesting afternoon in the demroom

Gyp

New member
Dec 17, 2007
13
0
0
(let's see if this appears as my last few posts haven't)

The loading machanism on my Marantz CD10 is becoming problematic *again*, so I decided that I'd go and see what all the fuss was about with the Audiolab 8200CD as i felt it might be worth considering getting something 20 years newer rather than having to regularly open up and re-belt.

Local Audio T were happy to accommodate me so off I went with bag of CDs and my 15 year old lad in tow.

I'd not expected the Audiolab to blow my socks off (as I've already got a decent system), but I'd hoped it would be sufficiently comparable with my existing box that it would make an acceptable replacement.

I was somewhat surprised to find that I was finding it slightly lacking in detail, a little harsh and somewhat over enthusiastic in the lower registers. Most of all, I found that I couldn't sit, relax and listen to the music. I did have a fiddle with the filter settings to make sure it was set to "optimal transient".

After reading so many great reviews of the Audiolab, I decided that it was probably the fault of the Rega Brio R amp or Spendor A3 speakers rather than the CD player and decided that I'd probably have to dem it at home to hear its' full potential.

As we were packing up, my lad mentioned that he'd never really listened to vinyl, so I decided to make the most of the opportunity and spin up the Rega RP3 sat alongside. Immediately, I got the sound I was wanting. Detailed, open, smooth and - in simple terms - a pleasure to listen to. The tension went out of my face and I was able to sit there, relaxed, enjoying the music. An utter joy.

The one thing it did make immediately clear is that there was nothing at all wrong with the Brio & A3 combination, and the RP3 was wiping the floor with the 8200CD.

As if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared and asked how I was getting on. He wasn't at all surprised with my conclusions, though did suggest that it might still be worth trying the CD at home with my own amp & speakers. He went on to say that at the moment they are selling nearly 10 times as many turntables as they are CD players.

The day hadn't turned out quite as I'd expected when I left home.
 

Alantiggger

New member
Oct 14, 2007
191
0
0
"As if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared "

Brilliant ... Mr Ben :rofl:

Man it IS a slow site of late.
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
288
176
19,070
Must be the elusive 'analogue sound' we are apparently all seeking.

Having spent the first 12 years of my adult life listening only to LP, FM and cassette, that is still my expectation of an audio system. And Rega did make their name with TTs, and Audiolab with amplifiers, I think, several iterations ago.

I wonder if a CDQ might be better? Did you bring one home?
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
nopiano said:
Must be the elusive 'analogue sound' we are apparently all seeking.

Having spent the first 12 years of my adult life listening only to LP, FM and cassette, that is still my expectation of an audio system. And Rega did make their name with TTs, and Audiolab with amplifiers, I think, several iterations ago.

I wonder if a CDQ might be better? Did you bring one home?
Only 12? :shifty:

Linn DS is the way to go for the OP, if he wants to stay digital.
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
well well well!!!!

You have probably found by your own admission you prefer the analogue sound - maybe try a Rega CDP like the Apollo R - different beat to the Audiolab!

Failing that go down the vinyl route like Ive done........imho vinyl is THE best way way to listen to music

No reason why vinyl & cds can exist side by side!
 

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
How about Rega's own 'Apollo' . . . I've not heard the 8200CD but I have the Apollo, still not upto my vinyl but its very listenable . . . 'with a decent CD'.
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
The Apollo R and DAC sounds very good! Sometimes I have trouble distinguishing vinyl & cd on some recordings!

I
 

toyota man

New member
Apr 22, 2009
79
0
0
Gyp said:
(let's see if this appears as my last few posts haven't)

The loading machanism on my Marantz CD10 is becoming problematic *again*, so I decided that I'd go and see what all the fuss was about with the Audiolab 8200CD as i felt it might be worth considering getting something 20 years newer rather than having to regularly open up and re-belt.

Local Audio T were happy to accommodate me so off I went with bag of CDs and my 15 year old lad in tow.

I'd not expected the Audiolab to blow my socks off (as I've already got a decent system), but I'd hoped it would be sufficiently comparable with my existing box that it would make an acceptable replacement.

I was somewhat surprised to find that I was finding it slightly lacking in detail, a little harsh and somewhat over enthusiastic in the lower registers. Most of all, I found that I couldn't sit, relax and listen to the music. I did have a fiddle with the filter settings to make sure it was set to "optimal transient".

After reading so many great reviews of the Audiolab, I decided that it was probably the fault of the Rega Brio R amp or Spendor A3 speakers rather than the CD player and decided that I'd probably have to dem it at home to hear its' full potential.

As we were packing up, my lad mentioned that he'd never really listened to vinyl, so I decided to make the most of the opportunity and spin up the Rega RP3 sat alongside. Immediately, I got the sound I was wanting. Detailed, open, smooth and - in simple terms - a pleasure to listen to. The tension went out of my face and I was able to sit there, relaxed, enjoying the music. An utter joy.

The one thing it did make immediately clear is that there was nothing at all wrong with the Brio & A3 combination, and the RP3 was wiping the floor with the 8200CD.

As if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared and asked how I was getting on. He wasn't at all surprised with my conclusions, though did suggest that it might still be worth trying the CD at home with my own amp & speakers. He went on to say that at the moment they are selling nearly 10 times as many turntables as they are CD players.

The day hadn't turned out quite as I'd expected when I left home.
I would recomend you listen to the mf m6 cdp or the m3 cdp both have a sound which is more laid back and will keep you looking for the next cd to listen to if I had the funds when buying I would have chosen the m6 over the roksan which I will soon be changing not sure which one I am looking forward to the dems :)
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,637
84
19,770
I do get a bit concerned when people start pidgeonholing systems by using the words 'Analogue'. Think for some it can be confusing, that's why more and more these days I tend to use 'natural' or 'real'.

Some may say my system is clinical: The Leema, fast and detailed and the RS6s with the same traits. Nah, nothing of the sort. Currently listening to Jazz FM thru the Sky box and it sounds beautifully natural.
 

andyjm

New member
Jul 20, 2012
15
0
0
nopiano said:
Must be the elusive 'analogue sound' we are apparently all seeking.

Having spent the first 12 years of my adult life listening only to LP, FM and cassette, that is still my expectation of an audio system. And Rega did make their name with TTs, and Audiolab with amplifiers, I think, several iterations ago.

I wonder if a CDQ might be better? Did you bring one home?
Stereo FM is digital, at least as far as the transmitter site, and I believe has been since its introduction in the early 1970s. So whatever it is you like about broadcast FM, it isn't that it is analogue.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,232
4
19,195
andyjm said:
Stereo FM is digital, at least as far as the transmitter site, and I believe has been since its introduction in the early 1970s. So whatever it is you like about broadcast FM, it isn't that it is analogue.
Correct. In the early days it was carried to transmitters as 13 bit PCM signals along leased lines (and microwave links) then converted back to analogue for transmission.
 

matthewpiano

Well-known member
Nov 23, 2007
313
114
19,070
The very finest systems I've heard have all had vinyl front ends and, even though I've got an excellent CD player, I still feel that my Rega RP3 sets the standard in my system. It remains a wonderful format, despite the inherent irritations, because the immersive experience is, for me, still un-parallelled by any other format.

FWIW, I've generally found Audiolab kit to be clinical sounding and I'd suggest that trying some other CD players might give you better results. Arcam CD players are lovely, even their most affordable CD17 - probably the one I would go for if I was buying a CD player again now (I've had a CD17 in the past and have often regretted selling it).
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,637
84
19,770
matthewpiano said:
FWIW, Arcam CD players are lovely, even their most affordable CD17 - probably the one I would go for if I was buying a CD player again now (I've had a CD17 in the past and have often regretted selling it).
Matt, IYO, how does the CD17 compare to the Roksan K2?
 

busb

New member
Jun 14, 2011
58
0
0
As coincidence would have it, a friend & I listened to an 8200CD yesterday in Southampton. He took his laptop & borrowed a USB lead. Towards the end of the session, we listened to an audiolab M-DAC - big improvement! He was interested in the CDQ but Sevenoaks didn't have one so can't comment if one would sound better or not.

He's now an extremely happy bunny indeed & £599 worse off! Interesting you found the bass a little overblown - we found the same but not when he used his laptop as a transport into the 8200CD via USB. I know you need a new CDP but you may want to consider a cheaper CDP & decent DAC instead if funds & space allow.

The RP3 is something of a bargain - heard one last year in AudioT. An analgue sound is not something I've ever sort - a decent sound is!
 

Gyp

New member
Dec 17, 2007
13
0
0
As it happens, it was a CDQ. My understanding was that they were basically the same under the lid, and to be honest if I'd liked it I'd have opted for the CDQ anyway so I could, after 20 years, be able to turn the volume up and down without getting off of the sofa.

I didn't bring it home.

The "recommendation" was to consider Rega, and to spend the money on a Rega DAC that I could stream to, and a turntable and start buying vinyl again.

I'm not sure that my existing vinyl collection justifies a turntable (there's just so many times I can listen to Cameo's excellent "Word Up" album or Motörhead and Girlschool's St. Valentine's Day Massacre EP) especially as my passive Michi pre doesn't feature a phono stage. So much as I loved the sound, I'm not thinking of going that route.

I am, however, seriously considering listening to a Rega DAC though when time allows (probably using my Raspberry Pi to deliver the signal to it)
 

busb

New member
Jun 14, 2011
58
0
0
I'm not familiar with the Rega DAC personally but from reputation - it's good. The M-DAC does have the advantage of volume control but the sound (from people have said) is not laid-back compared with the Rega so poor recording will still sound poor. Musical F have a new DAC out. All I can add is: go listen!
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
I love my Rega DAc to bits!

Lately I bypassed my SBT and connected my Synology NAS directly to my DAC, i controlet with and app on my ipad! I has a lovely sound, natural and organic.

and i do have a RP3 TT, and i didn't have any vinyl records as i left my collection behind ( :wall: ) but every time i went to my Rega dealer me eyes stayed in a RP3 that was always playing...

Since December i've now 215 vinyl records... :oops:

it's being so nice, it's all i can say...!

Hope you find your sound again, and the best for you!

Best REGArds
 

Gyp

New member
Dec 17, 2007
13
0
0
Hmmm. I wonder if i could go straight from my QNAP NAS straight into a DAC.

Off to investigate.
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
288
176
19,070
andyjm said:
nopiano said:
Must be the elusive 'analogue sound' we are apparently all seeking.

Having spent the first 12 years of my adult life listening only to LP, FM and cassette, that is still my expectation of an audio system. And Rega did make their name with TTs, and Audiolab with amplifiers, I think, several iterations ago.

I wonder if a CDQ might be better? Did you bring one home?
Stereo FM is digital, at least as far as the transmitter site, and I believe has been since its introduction in the early 1970s. So whatever it is you like about broadcast FM, it isn't that it is analogue.
I don't disagree, and that's why I used quotes, because quite a few LPs pre-CD were digital masters too. So I quite appreciate not everying is AAA or DDD!
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
Hi Gyp

For a 'vinyl like' sound then in addition to Rega's Apollo-R, Naim's new CD5si or if you are happy to also consider used the Marantz CD-17MK2 KI Signature are also worth bearing in mind. I know the RHA-10 well (although I used to own a RHC-10/RHB-10 combination) and I would say that all three players tonal qualities will help them to pair well by offsetting the (even though overall excellent) slighty flat presentation of the RHA-10.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

drummerman

New member
Jan 18, 2008
540
1
0
I have recently acquired and refurbished a couple of vintage turntables and have to say that so far, I have been completely taken in by the format and its idiosyncracies.

Not for ultimate fidelity perhaps though I very much like listen to them but for the involvement as somebody else has mentioned. There is a charm about using them, I now find myself seeking out good pressings of my favorite artists something I would have not considered even a short while ago.

The format is flawed, in many ways but oddly, it almost feels I'm one step closer to the performer than with digital playback. Deeply irrational of course. Another good thing about a record is that I tend to listen from beginning to end without skipping tracks I may otherwise would.

It will happily live next to digital playback for the forseeable future and I am glad the format is experiencing a new lease of life.

regards
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
drummerman said:
I have recently acquired and refurbished a couple of vintage turntables and have to say that so far, I have been completely taken in by the format and its idiosyncracies.

Not for ultimate fidelity perhaps though I very much like listen to them but for the involvement as somebody else has mentioned. There is a charm about using them, I now find myself seeking out good pressings of my favorite artists something I would have not considered even a short while ago.

The format is flawed, in many ways but oddly, it almost feels I'm one step closer to the performer than with digital playback. Deeply irrational of course. Another good thing about a record is that I tend to listen from beginning to end without skipping tracks I may otherwise would.

It will happily live next to digital playback for the forseeable future and I am glad the format is experiencing a new lease of life.

regards
Keep in mind that vinyl is a Hi- res sound format!

I'm buying vinyl every day, yesterday bought Brother were you bound from Supertramp ( now i've all their albums in vinyl!)

Enjoy this new adventure or addiction... ;)
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
drummerman said:
I have recently acquired and refurbished a couple of vintage turntables and have to say that so far, I have been completely taken in by the format and its idiosyncracies.

Not for ultimate fidelity perhaps though I very much like listen to them but for the involvement as somebody else has mentioned. There is a charm about using them, I now find myself seeking out good pressings of my favorite artists something I would have not considered even a short while ago.

The format is flawed, in many ways but oddly, it almost feels I'm one step closer to the performer than with digital playback. Deeply irrational of course. Another good thing about a record is that I tend to listen from beginning to end without skipping tracks I may otherwise would.

It will happily live next to digital playback for the forseeable future and I am glad the format is experiencing a new lease of life.

regards
You mean you are too lazy to get up and change it.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
I got fed up buying vinyl in the 80s, records got thinner, they were always scratched, so I had to take them back.

So is vinyl today super high quality?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts