How can I tell if my hi-fi system has a phono stage or pre-amp?

Peter Lenoel

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
My system comprises a Sony STR 313L receiver/amplifier, a Pioneer PL514 turntable and a pair of Mordaunt Short Pageant 2 speakers - all bought in 1980. I've recently set it up after years of non-use and wondered if it was missing anything or could be upgraded at reasonable cost.

Peter Lenoel

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
It’s moving magnet only.
I'm sorry, but I do not understand your last post. If you are referring to the cartridge and stylus, all I can say is that it is a Sure cartridge, but I have no more information about it, such as model or serial number. Do you think I need to change the cartridge?

D

Deleted member 108165

I'm sorry, but I do not understand your last post. If you are referring to the cartridge and stylus, all I can say is that it is a Sure cartridge, but I have no more information about it, such as model or serial number. Do you think I need to change the cartridge?
If the stylus also dates from 1980 then yes change it. It's probably a moving magnet cartridge as opposed to a moving coil. Shure no longer make carts so you may need to look at another manufacturer.

Reactions: Al ears

Blumlein

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
If the system has a phono input it would say so, and labelled phono or pickup. The sensitivity level for a phono input would be very high , say 2 - 5 mV (millivolts) and the response would not be level but follow the inverse of the RIAA curve. Some modern day amplifiers don't have a phono input but would require a separate external amplifier with a frequency response as previously mentioned.

Peter Lenoel

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
If the stylus also dates from 1980 then yes change it. It's probably a moving magnet cartridge as opposed to a moving coil. Shure no longer make carts so you may need to look at another manufacturer.
Based on my system, can you suggest a suitable replacement cartridge?

D

Deleted member 116933

If the system has a phono input it would say so, and labelled phono or pickup. The sensitivity level for a phono input would be very high , say 2 - 5 mV (millivolts) and the response would not be level but follow the inverse of the RIAA curve. Some modern day amplifiers don't have a phono input but would require a separate external amplifier with a frequency response as previously mentioned.

It's still not a given at all, my amp carries all the connections but still has no phono stage. its an optional extra at the time of purchase or can be added at my leisure whenever. Admittedly this tends to happen with higher-end amps. But still.

Peter Lenoel

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
Thank you Daytona and DougK, I will investigate those suggestions. Lockdown has brought this about and I decided that my system needed an amplifier upgrade so I opted for the Onkyo A-9110 to replace the Sony. I am still waiting as they seem to be rarer than hens teeth and don't appear to be coming into this country any more. So, in the meantime I connected up the Sony and it seems fine, although my ears are not what they used to be.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts