How can I set PS3 to display in 4:3?

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I wonder if anybody can help me. Since I have changed house I can no longer fit the projector screen size to the screen. The only way I have found is by changing the projector display to 4:3. When I do this it fits fine but the display from the PS3 is distorted and everything looks as being enlarged. I have been trying for hours to change the display of the PS3 from 16:9 to 4:3 but I could not find this anywhere. Does anybody know how to do this? The PS3 is connected via HDMI to the AVR and from there to the projector. Many thanks.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Well, if you convert a 16:9 picture into 4:3, it will get distorted.

Even the PS3 menus are distorted not just the movies so, how do I change the PS3 to send 4:3 instead of 16:9?

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
In "video output settings", go to "TV type".

Check this.

Thanks Bigboss, these are the options I have been trying for hours and I am going crazy. After the display resolution selection screen I do NOT get the screen where you can choose the TV type as 4:3 or 16:9. It must be that somehow it has already stored this as 16:9 or, it detects that it is 16:9 and does not give me the option to choose. I will try reseting otherwise I will contact Sony. Thanks for your help.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
What resolution have you set it at? Try "standard" or 480p & see if you get the option for TV type.

I do not understand the logic of this but you are right. If I set the resolution to 576p (the lowest option with HDMI) then, I get the option to select TV as 4:3 or 16:9. This is really bad news because it means that I would only be able to project at 576p if I want to set the projector to 4:3. I suppose this means that it can only output HD formats in 16:9? Very strange limitation.

Yes, I suspected that would be the case. I read somewhere that you cannot change to 4:3 in case of an HD picture. It is a strange limitation. I think that's because the PS3 assumes that the pictures are not made in 4:3 anymore since the advent of HD. Is it really that difficult to set your projector to 16:9? You're probably better off to sort that limitation out.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Yes, that would be the other option. I need to see how I can manage because in the new house the distance from the back wall (can not use the ceiling) is 4,5 meters instead of 3. Therefore the picture generated in 19:6 is much larger than the screen. My wife does not want to install a bigger screen so the alternatives will be either a new projector or maybe a blueray that can display HD in 4:3 (if this exist which based on your explanation, probably not..). I will have to figure it out. Thanks very much for your help, at least I know now that PS3 will not work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts