Question How can I replace my FM tuner ?

PeterGamston

Mar 17, 2023
Visit site
I need to replace my FM tuner. Since signal strength is the reason I'm assuming Internet Radio rather than DAB is the way to go. I understand that involves something called streaming but it is a whole new world and utterly strange to me. I hear names like Spotify, Tidal, HDtracks, Deezer, Qobuz, Amazon Music, Napster, TuneIn, iHeartRadio and SiriusXM banded about but I'm far too old to try to discover what on earth they all do - especially as I very much doubt it is anything I'd ever want to do. What I want is a direct replacement for my FM tuner, nothing more or less. Actually all I need is a box that connects, on my home wifi, to the URL https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_three and pushes the resulting signal through a good built in DAC into a pair of RCA outputs that I can feed into my pre-amp. IE a simple but good quality self contained direct replacement for my current tuner (unmoved from radio 3 for over 50 years!) I know I could use a simple PC but ideally it shouldn't look out of place on my HiFi rack, sport any features, bells or whistles I don't want, or cost much more than £500.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldie

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
If you don't mind 2nd hand I'd suggest a bluesound node 2 from ebay theres one ending in the next hour at £136 current bid, built in DAC connect it to your internet, wifi or ethernet cable , select tune in from the list and search BBC3.

The Node 2 tends to go for less than the 2i onwards as it hasn't got airplay.

Good Luck

Last edited:

nads

First thing I will as is. You have a suitable device to run the control for any box? IPhone/iPad or Samsung whatever?
or a PC.
the reason is most boxes now don’t have many controls on them. If any!

There are a few multi-purpose tuners around. FM, DAB and Internet, so you can decide! This is one, currently £499.

Reactions: chebby and Al ears

Gray

There are a few multi-purpose tuners around. FM, DAB and Internet, so you can decide! This is one, currently £499.

Talk about nominal pricing these days!
£300 off an original £800 price 🙄

(Hope it's better than some of the other Rotel products we've heard about).

Reactions: WayneKerr
I need to replace my FM tuner. Since signal strength is the reason I'm assuming Internet Radio rather than DAB is the way to go. I understand that involves something called streaming but it is a whole new world and utterly strange to me. I hear names like Spotify, Tidal, HDtracks, Deezer, Qobuz, Amazon Music, Napster, TuneIn, iHeartRadio and SiriusXM banded about but I'm far too old to try to discover what on earth they all do - especially as I very much doubt it is anything I'd ever want to do. What I want is a direct replacement for my FM tuner, nothing more or less. Actually all I need is a box that connects, on my home wifi, to the URL https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_three and pushes the resulting signal through a good built in DAC into a pair of RCA outputs that I can feed into my pre-amp. IE a simple but good quality self contained direct replacement for my current tuner (unmoved from radio 3 for over 50 years!) I know I could use a simple PC but ideally it shouldn't look out of place on my HiFi rack, sport any features, bells or whistles I don't want, or cost much more than £500.
Just an alternative. You can rig your TV up to your amp, as we do via a Sky HD box. You can get Freeview radio on the TV. Most modern TVs have facilities for streaming, my daughter has even uploaded Spotify.

To the TV to play through the stereo the amps needs digital inputs or buy a cheap Dac.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Before I got my streamer, I had a Majority Robinson Internet Radio Adaptor, which worker very well.

Came fully equipped with remote control and cables if needed.

DG…

WayneKerr

just goes to show what a markup they had initially as they are still potentially making a profit at the current price.....
Too true, Al. I can think of many on here who have managed to get good kit at almost 40% off RRP. It does make one wonder how much kit actually costs when you see such large price reductions and the companies must still be making a profit at these reduced prices.

My motto has always been don't jump when a new model arrives on the scene, bide your time and pounce at the right moment as there are good savings to be had.

WayneKerr

Just an alternative. You can rig your TV up to your amp, as we do via a Sky HD box. You can get Freeview radio on the TV. Most modern TVs have facilities for streaming, my daughter has even uploaded Spotify.

To the TV to play through the stereo the amps needs digital inputs or buy a cheap Dac.
That's a good idea, PP(y) Don't necessarily need digital-in on the amp, if the CDP has a digital-in then that's another option.

Reactions: plastic penguin
I've mentioned this in the past and received some terse responses.

They must be making substantial mark ups, otherwise they wouldn't discount brands as a loss leader.
I think big discounts like this are coming from the manufacturers. It’s not a loss-leader at a Hifi shop. It’s not Tesco! (In my day you might sell one item near trade if you could generate other sales, but you don’t sell many speakers or amps because one CD player is priced low)

Marantz rep will say something like “Will you take 20 of this, 20 of these, and 30 of that at £200 a piece off normal trade prices?” A few calls later they’ve shifted 500 -1000 pieces to make room for the next arrivals, or reduced their overdraft!

Reactions: WayneKerr
I think big discounts like this are coming from the manufacturers. It’s not a loss-leader at a Hifi shop. It’s not Tesco! (In my day you might sell one item near trade if you could generate other sales, but you don’t sell many speakers or amps because one CD player is priced low)

Marantz rep will say something like “Will you take 20 of this, 20 of these, and 30 of that at £200 a piece off normal trade prices?” A few calls later they’ve shifted 500 -1000 pieces to make room for the next arrivals, or reduced their overdraft!
Having worked in sales for over 25 years and ran my own business for well over a decade, that doesn't chime with me.

Even if a manufacturer wanted to off-load certain models it doesn't make financial sense. Some dealers are offering nearly half price, and unless they can get add-ons at full retail price they must be losing, both manufacturers and retailers.

clanking

Feb 6, 2023
Visit site
The Wiim mini connected to your wifi then into a DAC offers a number of radio options, including BBC Radio. I have digital inputs on my amp, which means I dont need another DAC and makes it a very good value and high quality option

Having worked in sales for over 25 years and ran my own business for well over a decade, that doesn't chime with me.

Even if a manufacturer wanted to off-load certain models it doesn't make financial sense. Some dealers are offering nearly half price, and unless they can get add-ons at full retail price they must be losing, both manufacturers and retailers.
Of course I don’t ‘know’ the circumstances here. But based on several large dealers offering substantial discounts within days of each others, there’s no way they are individually doing this. Marantz are box shifting. The Series 30 amps are about 25% off in various places too. In fact £850 off here https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-50999-marantz-model-30-amplifier.aspx
As I post it this the page says ‘order now for next shipment’, so they’re not even in stock, but Marantz UK need cash flow/space/or whatever. Richer Sounds and others have them at £1999. So Marantz are taking the hit.

EDIT: Two hours later and RS have Series 30 amps at £1899! At this rate they’ll be paying us to take them away by Monday.

858F86AF-036C-4B98-8B8C-F53A4B5772EF.png

Last edited:
Reactions: plastic penguin

Gray

Yes, that sounds familiar, though I think a third to a half mark up is more typical. And 100% on cables, styli, cleaners, etc.

You might have paid trade plus VAT as a favour? So £239 plus VAT. That would mean trade, plus 40%, plus VAT = £400ish.
I paid £286 in total for the amp.

6000KI CDP I bought from Audio T for £300, matching Richer's £200 off the £500 RRP.
They must have made minimal profit on that.

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano
Headphone output on the TV is another option. May need a 3-5mm to twin RCA cable.
I actually tried playing it via the headphone socket years ago and it was a complete faff. You had to adjust the volume on the TV as well as the amp... the sound quality wasn't great either.

By contrast, connect it directly from the TV/Dac or a digi box that has RCAs, just mute the TV and let the amp do the donkey work. Sound quality is fab.

jjbomber

I actually tried playing it via the headphone socket years ago and it was a complete faff. You had to adjust the volume on the TV as well as the amp... the sound quality wasn't great either.

By contrast, connect it directly from the TV/Dac or a digi box that has RCAs, just mute the TV and let the amp do the donkey work. Sound quality is fab.
The OP isn't a hi-fi snob!!! :giggle::giggle::giggle:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts