How black can black levels get

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello theflyingwasp,

My personal dream (because it doesn't exist yet!) machine would be based on the Panasonic 65VT65 plasma, but with two main changes: one, it would have 4K resolution -if 4K seriously looks like taking off, that is - and; two, it would have a diagonal measurement of somewhere between 80 and 85 inches. I'm not too bothered about the technology, whether it is plasma or OLED or whatever. It just needs to have all the good points of plasma, including deep black levels - but no real need to try to go deeper than ZT /Pioneer Kuro / VT - and wide wiewing angle. I could be waiting for an even longer time than you! :wave: I'm hoping that such a television might appear in late 2015 or early 2016. Cost, for an 80-inch 4K plasma - around nine grand?

By the way, I entirely agree with you about size increases. I disagreed with someone a little while ago, I think that it was maybe Oldboy. My biggest current TV is the 64" Samsung, and so I think to get a set that looks obviously bigger the next one would have be at least 75" or perhaps 80". If I remember rightly. Oldboy said that smaller size increases were noticeable eg going from about 42 inches to 46 or 47 inches. I begged to differ!

D

Deleted member 2457

Check out this Panasonic one:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=s07F8uawQSU

8)

T

theflyingwasp

Yes it may be a while away :)

as for screen size 80 inch plus seems to be the size at which 4k becomes worth it,I'm not saying I'd turn my nose up at a free 55inch 4k tv but with the 60inch ZT I really doubt I'd notice much diffrence ,I agree as long as the picture reviews concerning black levels etc are excellent wether its plasma or oled saying that tho the ZT is 45kilos so good knows what a 85inch plasma would weigh.4grand for me really was pushing it so the kind of gear we are after will have to come down to that price ,I may stretch to 5 or 6 grand through finance but its a big commitment for a television.

plus I still have a lot of DVDs and a 85 inch would kill them,long live blu ray but I hope I don't look at them the way I look at DVDs in 5 years,it hard to imagine saying "after watching avatar 2 in 4k I'm going to have to watch my awful copy of avatar on bluray"

i lot of people can't accommodate a 65 inch screen but going from say 37 to 42inch nowadays is pointless especially if you're a big movie fan,bigger is definatly better .

T

theflyingwasp

Great link gel 56 inch in 2014 it's true what son-of-cj said 2015-16 at the earliest for what we want and then there's the matter of selling your soul to buy it.its gonni be friiken years til I can consider a 70-85inch oled ,oh well this ZT will just have to do.

D

Deleted member 2457

I do fancy one of these:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57598160-221/samsung-slashes-price-of-curved-oled-tv-to-$8999/

I don't mind the curve either.

T

theflyingwasp

It's hard to comment without seeing one up close but I can't see this whole curved thing taking off ,a curved tv in a family living room somebody will be getting a bad viewing angle.

D

Deleted member 2457

Perfect blacks according to this one I think:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/tv-reviews/samsung-kn55s9c-review/

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Great link gel 56 inch in 2014 it's true what son-of-cj said 2015-16 at the earliest for what we want and then there's the matter of selling your soul to buy it.its gonni be friiken years til I can consider a 70-85inch oled ,oh well this ZT will just have to do.

Son_of_SJ.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
The thing is it isn't only about the absolute black level, unless you really are just looking at a totally black screen, or uniformly very dark shot. The brightness of other objects, as in the contrast produced by the display, is key to the eye's perception of blackness.

Yes, the black can't actually be any blacker than the screen when off. In the case of my projector this means white in daylight but when I put it on to watch a grand-prix for example,. Jenson Button's tyres still look black, not white, due to the vividness of white and other colours on screen.

All round my current projector, (Epson 8100), produces what I think are great textured blacks, and images in general, in bright and dark scenes, and in daylight and darkness, depsite having a base black that is essentially white!

Is it's ultimate black level deeper than my Samsung TV? No. Is the image including blacks better - yes.

A lot is made of black levels, and they are important for image solidity and as a part of generating contrast, but they are just one aspect of picture quality and not the ultimate measure.

At least that's my view! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts