How big an HD for Tv recording?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I want to record freeview (SD and HD) onto an external hard drive. How big one shoudl I get?

How many Gb should I allow for an hour of SD and an hour of HD content?

A

Anonymous

Indulge yourself.

If u google '1TB external' you will find u can get a 1TB external drive for around £46.

My Sammy uses around 1GB/hour for SD and 4GB/hour for HD recording off freeview.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
It all depends on how much of a horder you are.

If you're the kinda guy who records something then watches and deletes it within a month, you'll have no problems with a smaller capacity HDD.

If you're one of these people who has stuff on their HDD for 18 months and still kid yourself you're gonna get around to watching it. Go big!

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I agree; with quality HDDs so cheap now, 500GB or above will hold more than you'll ever get around to watching and won't upset the bank manager either.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
That should be plenty. Miles better than the measly 160GB I get on my Virgin V+ box - HD recordings gobble up the space and I'm constantly having to delete stuff.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks!

... now trying to figure out which ones are (near) silent, will power from Humax's USB (without an AC adapter) and will stop spinning when not in use...

Any advice on the above? And would portable drives generally be quiter and more likely to power just from the usb port?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts