How big a rip off is high end audio?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
jaxwired:If Michael Jackson comes in to my store to by a vase...

If Michael Jackson comes into your store, you'll be able to rip off the tabloids and the celebrity mags for as much money as you could possibly ever want...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jaxwired:
We just disagree on the definition of "rip-off". To me, it's a rip-off to charge more than the value of the product warrants. If I can find similar value for way less money, it's a rip-off.

To Joel and others, Klipsch could charge a million for that same pair of speakers and it's still not a rip-off. As long as no one is tricked. I just happen to disagree.

In fact, I'd say that a big part of the high end industry is composed of rip-off products. And that the reason they are successful is because they sell to people that are so rich they do not care if they are being ripped-off.

If Michael Jackson comes in to my store to by a vase and I say, "normally the vase is $20, but for you it's $10,000", and MJ says "whatever, ring it up, I like it." is he being ripped off? I'd say yes, many of you say no. That's where we differ.

Simple contract law. Shops don't charge. They offer a price. You accept or you don't. When you walk into a supermarket, you pick up your stuff and put them in a trolley and queue, place the stuff on the counter and pay. By doing that you are accepting the offer. No different with high end goods. There are plenty of alternatives.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The bottom line for me is "If I can pay less for the sound I want then I would" I don't think a real hifi lover that have been in the game for long time would ever get rip off. If a pair of speakers costing £20K but sounded like a pair of £8K, we'll soon find out. Remember Talon Khorus X?? The speakers was originally have the rrp of £15,000 but the company end up have to sell them for £5 - £6K...brand new. It's not that the talon wasn't very good but they sounded like a very good pair of £6K speakers and not £15K.

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired:

If Michael Jackson comes in to my store to by a vase and I say, "normally the vase is $20, but for you it's $10,000", and MJ says "whatever, ring it up, I like it." is he being ripped off? I'd say yes, many of you say no. That's where we differ.

I don't see anyone disagreeing that this would be a rip-off. It's not what Klipsch are doing, though.

idc

Will Harris:........ In order to do this the manufacturer has to take "risk" in order to price competitively enough to achieve sales.....

Very true. At the start of R&D any manufacturer worth their salt will have a plan as to where to pitch their product. Aiming at the high end of low sales numbers and high profit margin is risky, particularly if the product is a 'rip off'. It is not good enough to wrap a rubbish, badly designed, cheaply made product in a bit of fur or leather and call it high end. The majority of those who do have the money to but such products are daft and are certainly not happy at being ripped off. The example of Michael Jackson is an extreme that does not really make a realistic point.

A manufacturer who wants to pitch at the high end will have to tread very cannily in how they advertise and promote their product, particularly if they are a small company as many high end hifi manufacturers are.

For that reason of risk, I think that high end is not rip off, it is too risky to do that. Whether or not it is worth buying end end for sound reasons, that is more questionable.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I seem to be losing this battle. I still think this is just a semantics debate.

Can we all agree that some HiFi products exist that represent poor value for the cost? And is some cases the ratio of poor value to cost is extreme? If we all agree on that, then there's no debate. I just have a different name for those products...guess what it is....

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired:

Can we all agree that some HiFi products exist that represent poor value for the cost? And is some cases the ratio of poor value to cost is extreme? If we all agree on that, then there's no debate. I just have a different name for those products...guess what it is....

I doubt it! Define poor value for the cost - and it will invariably mean a different thing to all of us. We don't (and won't) all agree on this one - and presumably, you did want to start a debate, otherwise what's the point of the OP...?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Bodfish:jaxwired:

I doubt it! Define poor value for the cost - and it will invariably mean a different thing to all of us. We don't (and won't) all agree on this one - and presumably, you did want to start a debate, otherwise what's the point of the OP...?

Completely wrong. We DO all agree that some products exist that are poor value for the cost. I didn't say can we all agree WHICH products those are. Sheesh...

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Sheesh indeed.

I don't believe I mentioned anything to do with any product - I'm talking about the general notion of value (poor or otherwise) vs cost.

And I am not 'completely wrong'. Just because we don't agree does not in fact make either of us correct.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Bodfish:

Sheesh indeed.

I don't believe I mentioned anything to do with any product - I'm talking about the general notion of value (poor or otherwise) vs cost.

And I am not 'completely wrong'. Just because we don't agree does not in fact make either of us correct.

The fact that you don't think there's universal agreement that "Some HiFi products exist that represent poor value for the cost?" is ridiculous. What do you think it means when WHF gives a one star or two star rating?

A

Anonymous

Can we all agree that some HiFi products exist that represent poor value for the cost?

russ andrews products some of maybe

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired:Bodfish:

Sheesh indeed.

The fact that you don't think there's universal agreement that "Some HiFi products exist that represent poor value for the cost?" is ridiculous. What do you think it means when WHF gives a one star or two star rating?

As far as I'm aware, it is perfectly possible for me to make up my own mind without referring to the latest issue of WHF. I frankly couldn't care less if WHF (or anyone else for that matter) thought the product I was interested in or bought sounded like a bag of spanners being dropped down a flight of stair because they don't have to listen to it.

The point 'some hifi products represent poor value for the cost' only stands up if you agree that the statement is relative to the individual concerned and cannot be considered in a vacuum.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
You know some of the components in these speakers may have vanishingly small effects on the sound but cost huge amounts of money. For instance, I recently bought some jazzy speaker binding posts and RCA sockets which cost about 10 times more than the standard versions. I would be amazed if they make any material different to the sound....but they are quailty items and are much better built.

A complete division.....but take a look at this site. Fancy buying some diy interconnect cable at £4200 a metre plus delivery? How about a single capacitor at £1273. Of course, the big money is in valves. I've seen some for $50,000 with no guarantee that they actually work!

So, it's no surprise to me that some high end kit costs an absolute fortune. Is it all about performance? Mainly.....but there's a quality element too which may provide no sonic benefits whatsoever.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts