How audible is clipping?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
How audible is clipping? Or maybe I should I ask whether the type of clipping that will destroy your speakers is audible?

I know minimal levels of clipping may not be that audible or in the case of tubes etc may actually sound quite pleasant, but what about the speaker damaging levels the megawatt crowd seem so concerned about? The reason I ask is that if dangerous levels of clipping are audible, then that's a pretty easy way to determine if you need more power in your system. If it sounds like $%^& when you turn the volume up, then it's time for a beefier amp (or maybe you just need to listen at lower volumes).

Ajani said:
How audible is clipping? Or maybe I should I ask whether the type of clipping that will destroy your speakers is audible?

I know minimal levels of clipping may not be that audible or in the case of tubes etc may actually sound quite pleasant, but what about the speaker damaging levels the megawatt crowd seem so concerned about? The reason I ask is that if dangerous levels of clipping are audible, then that's a pretty easy way to determine if you need more power in your system. If it sounds like $%^& when you turn the volume up, then it's time for a beefier amp (or maybe you just need to listen at lower volumes).

I wouldn't know. I don't think I've ever had the experience. I am pretty sure, however, that a quick Google would answer your question.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Ajani said:

I wouldn't know. I don't think I've ever had the experience. I am pretty sure, however, that a quick Google would answer your question.

Nope. Google didn't. There seems to be a debate about clipping.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The only time I've experienced clipping or distortion is when my old 40 watt Arcam was pushed hard. At normal levels can't say I have.

That sounds like what I'd expect. I would imagine that if you are in danger of damaging your speakers, the music would start to sound really distorted, so a little common sense would indicate that you should dial down the volume.

Ajani said:
plastic penguin said:
The only time I've experienced clipping or distortion is when my old 40 watt Arcam was pushed hard. At normal levels can't say I have.

That sounds like what I'd expect. I would imagine that if you are in danger of damaging your speakers, the music would start to sound really distorted, so a little common sense would indicate that you should dial down the volume.

Indeed. That's why I've never damaged any speakers. My current amp has twice the power, should I wish to push it harder it shouldn't demonstrate any sonic stress.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
In small quantities it can sound pleasant, bit exciting, with more richness and added harmonic texture.

In significant quantities it sounds nasty. A lot of artefacts especially in the upper midrange and highs, harsh and bright. It gets loud but uncomfortably loud. As voice coils heat up, sound hardens and adds to general unpleasantness of amplifier distortion.

In the lower frequency the woofers are not producing tight bass. You keep turning up the amp but no more bass is produced in balance with the upper range. Just more louder harsh brightness.

With severe clipping you may hear the woofers bottoming out, hittng the gap stops. It typically sounds like clicking noises. First impression comes off as the amplifier is overpowering the woofers and they are about to break down. That is actually the amp clipping and loosing complete control and crashing the woofers. Permanent damages may occur to the voice coil fomers from this. Some speakers have protection from the coils hitting the end gaps, some don't.

If the amp has protection, it should begin cutting out the sound in severe clipping, eventually resulting with thermal shutdown.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts