House rules

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Glad the person got banned

very rude must be some kid who thought it was funny let's hope it does not put of any new members coming on here . And yes it's a shame that we are losing the experience members on here like major

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
How about developing the 'report' button slightly, so that where say at least 5 long term members (5000+ posts maybe?) have all reported the same post - the member responsible for that post is temporarily blocked from making any further posts, until the forum moderators/administrators have had a chance to investigate. Or 10 members of 2000+ posts etc

Anyone who has made that many posts clearly does have a genuine care for this forum, but it requires at least a number of them to make the block happen. Get the developers in!

D

Deleted member 2457

jjbomber said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
let's hope it does not put of any new members coming on here .

It hasn't put off the chinese!
regular_smile.gif

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
shadders said:
Hi,

It took about 1 day to stop the bad comments, which is I think ok.

I disagree with a non Haymarket Publications employee becoming an administrator, since there will be data protection issues, and we have already seen cliques in operation, hence an unbiased approach is not guaranteed.

Regards,

Shadders.

This forum forms part of the Haymarket 'front of house' that is seen by the public at large. Ultimately if a person is posting obscene, insulting, racist........ etc comments, then it reflects badly on Haymarket. Haymarket should have zero tolerance towards, such posts (plus spam), and they should be removed almost instantly.

The current approach to moderation does not achieve that, so I support the idea to allow selected forum members to have some moderation powers.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Joe Cox said:

It seems like the WHF staff are too busy to adequately police the forum themselves these days (which is fair enough as you have other more pressing business to attend to like writing a magazine). This sort of abusive behaviour has become very common over the past few months and most of the time it goes unnoticed by the mods which is damaging your forum.

Could I suggest that you give forum administrative status to one of the trusted long term regular members here so that they help keep an eye on things for you? It would have the benefit of freeing up more time for yourselves too.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
expat_mike said:
The current approach to moderation does not achieve that, so I support the idea to allow selected forum members to have some moderation powers (...)

(...) Or a hotline to one of the mods (the mod on call?).

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
expat_mike said:
The current approach to moderation does not achieve that, so I support the idea to allow selected forum members to have some moderation powers (...)

the webpages management was outsourced a long time ago, so having a mods on call service will be charged extra (zero cost seems to be the haymarket policy), so it appears that joe cox and andy clough perform the moderation, if they get a few minutes spare. maybe allowing selected trusted forum members to have a hotline to messrs cox and clough might work, provided they are not deluged with texts.

nle

DocG said:
expat_mike said:

Personally, after suffering such attacks, I believe this is the best way forward. Whilst the mods may have many other things to do a means like some sort of early-warning system to alert them may be the way forward.

expat_mike said:
DocG said:
expat_mike said:

the webpages management was outsourced a long time ago, so having a mods on call service will be charged extra (zero cost seems to be the haymarket policy), so it appears that joe cox and andy clough perform the moderation, if they get a few minutes spare. maybe allowing selected trusted forum members to have a hotline to messrs cox and clough might work, provided they are not deluged with texts.

nle

Yep, way to go. And as Jean Luc Piccard would say 'make it so'. ;-)

insider9

I agree with the above. My original point when I wrote on this thread was that so far there is a way to report specific comments but not users. So what, if I was hoping that the individual in question will reply with his usual language.

We've all been there and said things in the heat of debate or after a few. I think majority will apologise thereafter and most won't take offence.

I'd like to see a report button on user profile page to highlight offenders and not just on specific posts. It could be done as well as some wonderful ideas in posts above.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Isn't there some way to curtail this level of unintelligent nasty trolling that people do when they don't like people on forums by the perceptions of comments, approach or whatever, when none of this is ever personal against the trolls that then retaliate,

ive not posted that much but I like to get involved in friendly debates and put my point of view across to make my argument. It shows I care. But it's often picked up by the idiots. I can't modify who I am. I'm still respectful those respectful of me and don't insult me.

but if someone breaks the law by effectively harassing you, by continually putting you down personally in posts, what are what hi fi doing to moderate and control that. One guy on here has even invited me to a fight to resolve it.

Surely if what hi fi don't control this behaviour of people, and see what the comments are made in response to,and whether they are on or not, you are just creating the environment for law breaking, unpleasantness and harassment of people using your site. I'd like someone from what hi fi to realise this. Also what happens when someone calls someone a tw-t with no provocation, is there card marked. I suspect not. Forums need more controls to be pleasant places to come. What are what hi fi doing about these issues, if anything.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi fi bores (audiophiles) I've built up a very decent cyrus signature system and pmc twenty5 speakers, probably worth about £15k. Ive participated on a number of forums used by audiophile people and I've come to the view, god most of them are boring. They seem to be on a never ending quest for audiophile perfection against just realising a good system is good, leaving it like that, and getting on with the most important part - the music, which most of them seem to have forgotten about. To them rather than just realising their systems are way better than most, and leaving it like that, they want to keep on chatting and debating this and that, and watts and amps and god it's geeky. Then on their music tastes, many of them live in the dark ages. Nothing new or contemporaary and they tend to be middle aged men or those in 50s who have built up collections in the 70s and 80s and are a bit stuck in their ways on music tastes. I once did what they call 'bake offs' where you match different kit of different people together. 3 people off the forum came to mine and my speakers were clearly better on subtlety and detail, but their amps a bit more power and scale, and none of them could recognise the big differences of the two systems. I was willing to concede that mine fell down in some areas, but not in others, but they can't concede any shortcomings of their stuff. This is one of the big issues, that their hi fi is brilliant and nobody can self critique their own kit, just because they own it and their buying decisions are perfect. Then you get the ones who get together (e.g. Scalford) and put weird systems together from the 80s and say their systems are better for a much cheaper price, than the commercially available stuff from the likes of naim and Cyrus etc. This is just utter rubbish when you hear the pricier naim systems and some of their ears are terrible. I think it's just about convincing themselves a person on a relative budget can get the same as someone where money is no object. Unfortunately for these audiophiles rubbish too. What world do they live in not to expect the big commercial players to make stuff much more on par than older hi fi. then they totally blow all credibility out the water by saying such things as hi fi cables make no difference. anyway sorry that's my rant over. What does anyone else think of this brigade. I'm really just a music lover who has a great hi fi I think, but realise it's all relative. End of. Where's the next album.

This post upset a lot of people on this forum by coming on to a hifi forum saying that we are all over 50 boring people and hifi is boring so this is going to make trouble and upset people on here thats the reason why people do not like you for the words that you used which was very unfair .

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Well you are not even the person I'm describing, and anyway it was not aimed personally at anyone. It was a general opinion of a very distinct group, most of whom I don't see on this site. Most of them are on the wigwam site. You all mainly own very commercially available stuff like me, and talk about hi fi in general terms. How should it upset you just because you may be over 50.

D

Deleted member 2457

QuestForThe13thNote said:
Well you are not even the person I'm describing, and anyway it was not aimed personally at anyone. It was a general opinion of a very distinct group, most of whom I don't see on this site. Most of them are on the wigwam site. You all mainly own very commercially available stuff like me, and talk about hi fi in general terms. How should it upset you just because you may be over 50.
I agree with you. Once they were all banned but WHF after a change of moderation let them all back.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

It does seem to me that with lack of anyone seeing what is going on, this forum are falling well short of moral and legal obligations. If a forum allows people to troll and harm others for instance, and this causes them psychological harm, then I'd think if ignored by the site and there are no proper controls, there would be a case in tortious negligence against the forum. If a relation comits suicide due to this, then a claim under the fatal accidents act where people can sue for loved ones. It just astounds and amazes me that nobody has ever thought of these issues on forums, or I suspect is more the case,there is no real regulation for them to do so. So what happens is the forum is an unchecked and unregulated way for them to keep doing well in business, often at the cost of the psychological ill effects to some of the members, and in worst cases these suicides we hear of. There will be regulation in the future.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Some of your comments on the "hi fi bores/audiophiles thread were just plain rude.

You go around calling other websites (wigwam) and people on here idiots - that's not reasonable do you think? It shows a lack of basic argument/discussion skills when you just descend to name calling people yourself.

How can you expect other well established and respected forum members to ignore your rudeness.

tonky

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

tonky said:
Some of your comments on the "hi fi bores/audiophiles thread were just plain rude.

You go around calling other websites (wigwam) and people on here idiots - that's not reasonable do you think? It shows a lack of basic argument/discussion skills when you just descend to name calling people yourself.

How can you expect other well established and respected forum members to ignore your rudeness.

tonky

yea I will call them idiots if they call me a t--t, and I said some people on wigwam are idiots too, like most forums.

No I'd like to look at it to putting my trolls down, as some of the decent people on this forum like electro, Lindsayt, insider9 don't revert to this kind of backstabbing, trolling and being nasty people. I'll put my trollers down and then leave them alone as far as I'm concerned if they leave me alone it's finished business, unless they do it again, then both barrels. And I'll keep doing the same thing if they provoke me too. Far from rude. Hopefully they get the message they are the trolls and people will see them as doing that including that Leif idiot. Thank you.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I was thinking the same thing. But I'd thought you'd left. Come back to troll eh?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts