Homeplug question

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Are various brands of Homeplugs compatible with each other?

Last Autumn I bought a pair of NewLink 500mbps Powerline Pass Through Ethernet adaptors, brand new off eBay for £65. Loads of places were selling them at that price, it was just pot luck which seller I picked. Single ones were between £35 and £40. I've just been thinking about getting another pair, and I can't find them for less than £150 a pair! I've even found single ones at £130! I've never seen anything quite like it. Not even the gas bill has gone up that much in such a short period.

So I was wondering if these would be compatible?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solwise-500AV-Homeplug-with-mains-passthrough-Twin-Pack-2-/140904118001?pt=UK_Computing_Powerline_Networking&hash=item20ce8a36f1

Tonestar1

Hi Major,

I have a set of comtrend ones I don't use. If you are near Glasgow you are welcome to come pick them up, all they do is take space up in my cupboard. I have no idea what speed they are but the model is comtrend 9020 If you want to research to see if these suit your needs.

Cheers

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks mate, no I'm nowhere near Glasgow, I could really do with knowing if different brands are compatible with each other before wasting your time. I appreciate the offer. :)

You're not looking at the right place! ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358290836&sr=8-1

I think they should be compatible with different brands, but can't confirm it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi BigBoss, yes I found plenty of other similar devices. Can't believe that the price of the NewLink models has shot up by as much as £100 in a few months for no reason I can discover.

So I need to find out if different brands are compatible with each other. To that end I have attempted to join the Solwise support forum, seeing that they at least have one. I say 'attempted': I haven't received the automated activation email (not in Junk either) and an email to the admin has proved similarly fruitless.

EDIT: that Kenable at the bottom of your last link seems exactly the same device as my Newlink...wonder if it's the same thing with a different badge, which has yet to see the 250% price increase...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi BB, ideally I want something with pass-through mains-sockets because I can't afford to lose the sockets. I've found a few, including the Solwise in my opening post. I just need someone to confirm if they'll work with my NewLinks. I've finally managed to join the Solwise forum after its administrator activated my account manually, so I'll see if anyone there knows. Thanks for your input.

peter8171

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I'm running a 200MBps powerline system at home which uses both TP Link and Netgear components. They do talk to each other without any issues, however, I found when setting it up that you couldn't just press the link buttons on both and let it sort itself out. I had to use the software which came with each one to get it to recognise the other. Once this was done, they have linked flawlessly in the last year.

As long as the different makes parts are using the same protocol, it will be possible to link them together.

peter8171

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I'm running a 200MBps powerline system at home which uses both TP Link and Netgear components. They do talk to each other without any issues, however, I found when setting it up that you couldn't just press the link buttons on both and let it sort itself out. I had to use the software which came with each one to get it to recognise the other. Once this was done, they have linked flawlessly in the last year.

As long as the different makes parts are using the same protocol, it will be possible to link them together.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Can confirm that they will be compatible as long as they are both the same version of the HomePlug standard. The security-software on TP-Link sets won't work with other brands though. I'm currently using Trendnet adapters with TP-Link adapters and all is well.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, well here's hoping it works, I've just bought a 500meg 4-way Solwise switcher, so I'm going to be pretty annoyed if it doesn't work. It'll be another £45 put down to experience, but I'm quietly confident because the technical guru on the Solwise forum says that basically there is only one standard on 500meg homeplugs and they use it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just to bookend this, my Solwise 4-way 500mbit port arrived over the weekend, and much to my relief* it's fully compatible with my existing network.

*If it hadn't been, swmbo would never have let me live it down.

TRENDING THREADS