Home cinema virgin

deanchri

Dec 14, 2007
Visit site
I'm getting close to completing a 5 yr house renovation project that will give me a living room of approx 25.5ft X 15.5ft and I want to install a decent home cinema system on a pretty modest budget of £2000 to begin with. The telly will be viewed from around 3 - 4 m (on middle of one of longest walls) and speakers will need to give me the best sound possible for music and film at a modest budget for this size room. After reading through loads of copies of what hi fi I have come up with the following kit which I can just about buy on my 2K budget if I really shop for a deal. Please comment - My biggest concern is whether the speakers will be up to the job in this size room?:

DENON DVD 1940---- ONKYO TXSR605--------KEF2005.2 SPEAKERS --------40"LCD TELLY (TBC)

A

Anonymous

dont really know a lot about the first 3 on your list as to a 40"telly would look at aslightly bigger 42" panasonic TH42PZ70B recently bought one online from empire direct for £1150.00 delivered

deanchri

Dec 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice - I had wondered whether a 40" was sufficient and would prefer a 42" myself so long as I can win over the wife/gaffer. I think the telly you suggest is a plasma not an LCD? I've read a few articles ref plasmas that put me off a bit but you've made me think on. ta.

A

Anonymous

can also confirm youd have no prob with the size of your room as mines slightly longer but a tag narrower and Im running 100w speakers oh and to match in with the colour of the tv the kefs are the same colour and upto 100w

A

Anonymous

I'm guessing your concerns with plasma are about screen burn. I had the same concerns after reading various articles and forums but the Panasonic website refutes this on the latest generation plasmas. I also phoned Panasonic and was told that though still possible, you'd need to display a static image for 8 hours plus before you need to worry !!! Okay, they would say that but I can't see them blatantly lying. The guy I spoke to plays Halo 3 (which has static images) for hours on his plasma with no problems, which sounds more convincing than corporate blurb !!!

deanchri

Dec 14, 2007
Visit site
I read an article that confirms what you are saying ref screen burn and apparantly this is not an issue with the latest plasma technology? My concerns were more to do with durability and power consumption. I read that LCD TVs hold the advantage of having a longer life span and considerably lower power consumption/heat although I don't know how that equates in terms of cost on the electric bill? I know that the plasma offers a bigger screen and apparantly can be better when it comes to action/movement scenes but then I'm only after a 42" max so weighing it all up; I'm still leaning towards the LCD at the moment.

Any comments about the rest of the kit I'm considering as mentioned in my opening question??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts