Home cinema speaker query

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I am presently using the following speaker set up;

Tannoy V4 floorstanders, Tannoy V1 (as front height speakers), Tannoy VC centre, Monitor Audio Bronze BXFX surround speakers, KEF PSW 2010 sub.

My questions are as follows.

1) I will be purchasing 2 x MA Bronze 6 and a MA Bronze centre - would a pair of MA Bronze FX placed in the front height position (to take advantage of DTS X) be preferable to a pair of MA Bronze 1 (retaining the MA Bronze BXFX as surrounds)?

2) Do you think that the MA BW10 sub would be an improvement on the Kef sub?

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.

Regards

Stefan

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
to use the Bronze 1 as height speakers and keep the BXFX as side surrounds for which they were designed for (this is the same setup I use in my own system).

*music2*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I always end up disagreeing with BB (not on purpose dude I promise) but if you go looking you will find quite a few MK speaker users who are using their tripole speakers for both height and atmos ceiling channels.

The reason they prefer a more dispersed sound rather than a direct sound from a more single point source which can be very close to your head

I will testify to this not my testing just what others have done and reported back.

The UK distributor for MK speakers who does a lot of big system installs has outstanding demo facilites and will have been messing with lots of different combos to find the best solutions. I dare say he ahd quite a bit to do with their choices also.

Hence why I said in the other thread its worth getting out and demoing some atmos systems from some good dealers and getting th full picture before you put holes in the ceiling.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Also when it comes to subwoofers not sure what your budget could accomodate to if you was going to replace your current sub. You dont need to look at typical speaker manufacturers for cracking subs

BK, SVS do good cheaper subs

RickyJ @ Kalibrate UK stocks these

This is a cracking option for the money - it should perform very similarly to the SVS SB13 Ultra which trust me is a cracking sub for a chunk less money. Possibly worth a demo??

Or these are seeming to become popular already, that model is cheaper and nice looking

This is what I would look at from the range but the cost is much higher again.

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. I definitely will not be cutting holes in the ceiling/laying more cabling as I have just finished a complete redecoration of the lounge with hidden cabling etc. so I won't be looking at Atmos but like the theory and implementation of DTSX.

The difference in price between the B1 and BFX is only £50.00 and I must admit the performance of the BXFX has impressed me. I suppose that I have to try and swap my VR and BXFX when I get the new AVR to see what if any differences I can hear before commiting.

Many thanks for the subwoofer links - will certainly check out these options.

Again thanks for all the suggestions.

Regards

Stefan

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Bass setup / quality is more important than adding height speakers imo - spend the money and time there intially is my advice. Its all about the bass

Without that proper sound foundation nothing ever sounds truly right - its also a bloody hard thing to achieve generally but its the first thing you notice about a system - does it have good bass.

Worth the money, worth the time. You will be amazed at the difference a good subwoofer has over the lesser one and luckily now days you dont have to spend grands to get it

EDIT what is the implementation of DTSX you are mentioning - I thought they were going to suggest the same speaker layout as Dolby now?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If its back to being flexible speaker placement its even more important to get out demoing to see what you think sounds best before all the cable infrastrucure goes in

I have heard auro type placement sound great in a small / small medium sized room.

I have heard atmos speaker placement sound really good in a huge room.

It wouldnt be clear cut for me to decide, and its not easy work to keep screwing speakers to the wall / ceiling then moving them and filling the holes etc.

Let us know what you do in the end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts