Hi all. I'm in need of some advice, I'm looking to buy a new TV, my room size is 4m X4m so not to big. Due to the cost of buying a new TV I only have one chance at getting this right so it's important I chose well. At the moment I have a 42inch PIONEER KURO plasma which is superb. I'm looking at getting the new Sony KD-75XD9405 Or the LG OLED65E6V. The TV will be used for Movies, XBOX Video games and Sky Q, My main concern is when I look at both the TV's in the shop, the pictures seem so clear and bright they seem to clear and don't have the warmth of the plasma. I would like to get the best TV I can with budget of 5k to get one.

Any advice will be greatly welcome.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Warmth in the image is based on black level and gamma settings.

You wont have an issue with black level with either set, especially the OLED so its just how they have them setup in the shop - bright as possible not doubt so likely set on a high gamma also.

Calibrated / setup properly same as the Pio that wont be an issue at all

I read so many reviews they all seem to rate both, I have noticed that none of the reviews I've seen say anything about problems with burn in or how long the panel will last, apparently OLED may loose it's picture qulity because of the disintegration of the blue colour pixel. The other problem is that the LG is 4K ultra HD certified but Sony's panel ain't, it's 4K because they don't want the certification (or somthing like that).

abacus

For HDR the LCD TV’s are the best, however for SDR it’s difficult to beat OLED.

2 things to remember, the viewing angle of LCD is limited (The best is no more than about 45 deg) meaning if you have a lot viewing, the viewers on the end will have a poorer picture, also while black levels are superb compared to those of a few years ago, they are still no match for plasma. (One of the biggest complaints for those that upgrade from Plasma TV is the backlight bleed and greyness of LCD) If neither of the above cause you problems, then pretty much any decent LCD will blow plasma out of the water.

OLED doesn’t suffer from any of the problems above, so unless as good as you can get HDR is of paramount importance, OLED will probably suit you better. (As always only you can decide what is best for you)

Hope this helps

Bill

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
A smaller screen but it's available at a bargain price.

The build quality is superb and it's the best tv I've had.

If you want to go bigger, they also do it in 65".

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-58dx902b-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-3d-smart-tv-58-with-freeview-play-freetime-art-of-light-design-uhd-premium/p2531560

JL will price match so it may be quite a bit cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts