Home Cinema choices: Sony 820 Vs Onkuo 606 and speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to spend no more then £500 on a home cinema system. It's not a fortune but I can't justify spending anymore. After lots of research I'm thinking of getting the Sony 820. The Onkyo looks like a more powerful system but for £150 will I really benefit in my reasonably sized living room. Plus I'm concerned with stories I've read about how hot the Onkyo gets.  It's also bigger right so I'm going to need a pretty hefty stand. I'm going to be running the Amp through a PS3 and a Samsung 6 series 40"

So that's the amp sort of taken care with. My big headache is speakers.   I play a lot of music at home but not on CD. All my music is on itunes and I have a Optical lead running from the back of my imac into my 15 year old trusty Arcam Alpha Amp. This in turn has a Bose 2.1 system running off of it. I also use the Bose and Arcam to watch tv/movies in decent stereo.

The big question is what kind of speaker system will I need to get if I want to benefit from not just decent home cinema but music too. I'm aware that the smaller speakers don't perform as well as the bigger ones but I'm loathed to fill up my living room with massive speakers.

If I end up with the Sony it looks like I'll have about £250 left to spend on speakers. Although am I right in thinking I'll need to buy decent speaker wire too?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks 

A

Anonymous

On the speaker front I'd suggest you look at the Q Acoustics 1010 package, £300 from Superfi and that'd bring you in just £50 over budget.

A

Anonymous

They look good, very good but pricey. Any other recommendations

ÿ

A

Anonymous

i'm looking at getting the same amp, we've exactly the same setup, same tv, ps3 and so on, the speakers i'm after are the jamo A102HCS5, they won the award for best speaker package under 500 quid in 2007, apparently they're awesome for the money.

Hope this helps...and if you get them before me post and let me know how good they are!

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
I have the Onkyo 605 and its simply superb.

I can only imagine the size of room those who make it run hot have because in my modest 4 metre square room, it doesn't even break a sweat at listenable levels. I'd have to go deaf to take the sound pressure to make it get hot - if it helps when demo'ing - I usually use around 52 on DVD using HDMI input and 60-62 with tv on optical (volume settings).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Torres09:
I have the Jamo A102 HC5 and am more than happy with them ...there excellent

They can be got here http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk for £200 so that would leave you £50 for cable........... a bargain i think

I used to have this package and for the money it is amazing. Don't expect amazing stereo performance - they are tiny sat speakers and you have to be realistic. For surround sound they really are great. At the end of the day, you can't expect the world for £200 and you will be happy with them.

A

Anonymous

This is why I need some guidance before parting with my cash. ÿPlaying music is for me equally important, if not more, then a decent home cinema experience. ÿAnd I think it's fair to say that most folk play music back louder then they do a movie. So I want to ensure the speakers I choose reflect that. If this means spending most cash, then so be it

ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
streetspirit:And I think it's fair to say that most folk play music back louder then they do a movie.

I'd say exactly the opposite is usually true.

A

Anonymous

Will the budget increase with savings over time? If so why not wait a few months and get a set of speakers more able with both music and movies? the price point you are looking at I suspect the small satellites wouldn't have a large frequency range or a great soundstage.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
streetspirit:And I think it's fair to say that most folk play music back louder then they do a movie.

I'd say exactly the opposite is usually true.

ÿ

Well maybe it's just me. ÿMy poor neighbours. Anyway, if say I was prepared to spend a little more on speakers that would give a decent stereo sound, what would you recommend?

A

Anonymous

I'm still torn between the Sony 820 or the Onkyo 606. I know the latter is a superior system but it's also £150 more so I'm all set on the Sony unless of course someone can prove to me that the Onkyo is going to give me a superior sound when playing music.ÿ

As far as budget goes, well at the start of thisÿthreadÿsomeone recommended the Q Acoustics 1010 which I know that Superfi are currently selling for £299. I keep hearing rave reviews for the so I guess I'd get these if it gave what I was looking for.

ÿSo adding things up, with the Sony i'd be looking at £550 and at a stretch, the Onkyo at £700 - Ouch!!!!ÿ

ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm worried neither amp is going to live up to your music expectations. I would definitely look to audition one or both before deciding as I've seen a lot of disappointed people on the forum having received the 606 when they listen to music. It's all a question of balance between good music set up and good home cinema setup of course and which is the most important to you.

A

Anonymous

I think you should try the Tannoy Mercury F1 speaker package (£800). They might be expensive although the fronts are powerful enough for stereo sound and they are very musical too.

You might also want to consider using your Sony amp for your music, as it can do music quite well for an AV receiver.

You didn't mention if you wanted stands although if you do, try out the Soundstyle Z2s (£60).ÿ

A

Anonymous

I had a listen to the 606 today fed through the Acoustics 1010. Home Cinema sounded cracking but music sounded dull and lifeless. ÿFirst attempt was using my own ipod with the correct lead and the second attempt was a CD. The speakers may possibly have not been set up correctly or the Amp could have done with some fine tuning, but I was disappointed with what I heard.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts