Hissing from speakers (Onkyo 609)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Over the weekend I was watching football in HD with DD sound from Viasat (Sweden's equivilant to Sky) and heard that the rear speakers sounded distorted during speech. I tried different Viasat channels last night (some with DD and others without) and depending on which setting I had the Amp on, there was a definite hissing coming from the fronts along with background distortion on speech/vocals. If I set the sound setting to Direct on Amp, it sounds fine, but, say if I change to Theater Dimensional or any of the PLii settings, there is that hiss/white noise from fronts and distortion on backs. No problems when playing VTuner of Spotify on any Amp settings. Also some hissing/white noise on Blu Rays when on certain Amp settings eg. Dolby Digital. This sounds to me like it is a source output problem, but I can only say that I've started hearing it in the last couple of days.

This is quite hard to explain so I hope someone can understand what I'm trying to get accross!?

I have posted this on another forum, so apologies to anyone who might have read/answered this elsewhere!

Cheers

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Certain surround sound formats produce a sort of gargling noise through the rear speakers, a little like a DAB radio when the signal isn't up to scratch. Nothing you can do about that I'm afraid, except choosing a surround format that doesn't produce the issue.

All electrical items will produce a certain amount of hiss.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that FrankHarvey. Gargling is precicely how I'd explain it actually! It's like the vocals/dialogue are being spoken through one of those voice coder things that everyone seems to be singing through these days (by everyone, I mean all the rubbish stuff!). Lke I said, I've only just noticed it, and it's only noticable when you're really close up ( I know I shouldn't be standing with my ear to the speaker, but I heard a different sound, and now it's all I can think about!). So all in all, nothing to worry about. What about Blu Ray? Should there be distortion/white noise on those soundracks? I can understand shoddy transmission from Viasat, but wouldn't expect to hear crackling on a blu ray?

Cheers again.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Godriah said:
What about Blu Ray? Should there be distortion/white noise on those soundracks? I can understand shoddy transmission from Viasat, but wouldn't expect to hear crackling on a blu ray?
You shouldn't get anything from Bluray, unless you start combining surround formats. Straight HD audio codecs (True HD/Master Audio/PCM) will produce nothing that's not wanted!

Brek

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed similar noise on a couple of the 7.1 matrix sound options, I think it might be a consequence of the processing, but not 100% on that. Will have a good session with the system today and see if it is certain settings that cause it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts