High time for new speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, I'm looking for some advice regarding change of speakers.

I have a Cambridge Audio 640C V2, 640A and Mission m71is. The speakers presentation is generally good on first impressions, the midrange is nice and smooth, no doubt thanks to the partnering with the CA kit (no that they're at the top of the pile now), but the treble can become grating, and the bass can get boomy.

My room is about 4X4 metres wide, and is a bit of a nightmare in terms of acoustics. Wooden floors, wooden furniture, the only saving grace being a bed plonked in the middle of the room. Due to the room acting not only as a bedroom, but an office and hifi room, there's not much space for the prerequisite bookshelves and what not (to reduce reflections).

So, I have about £400 to buy new speakers that could hopefully work with my room to create a more natural sound. Incidentally, I have bought most of my kit second hand, so I'm not afraid of going the eBay route if you think better speakers could be had there.

Thanks in advance

Murcielago

PS The speakers need to be good all rounders if possible. My taste ranges from Jack Johnson to Hot Chip. 

T

the record spot

Get a pair of Mission 752s in good nick off Ebay - they come up frequently and have a wonderful sonic cahracter to them. Stunningly good - £500+ in their day, expect to pay around £100 or less. People rated the Freedom version, but the original is pretty special.

Buying new, perhaps the Q Acoustics 1030i floorstander. Very nice little speaker. The 1050i is even better and widely available on good deals.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I know the Usher S520 get a bad review by WHF (only one so -so review that the S520 ever have...many other gave them awards
emotion-8.gif
) but demo a pair if you can, it's a lovely little beauty.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Dali Ikon 6 are perfect for long listening sessions, sweet treble, bass not boomy. Superb with something like Jack Johnson. I use mine in a room of wooden floorboards and they sound excellent. They are £900 new but you could pick some up second hand I'm sure. audiologica.co.uk could do ex-demos too but they would more likely be £700 ish.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts