High Fidelity Streaming

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Overdose said:
Why would anyone go and buy a separate DAC to use with the ADMs? That's like buying a Benchmark DAC1 Pre, plugging in an Audiolab M-DAC and then complaining that there are not enough analogue connections for a TT and a CD player. Pointless argument to say the least.

The speakers have two optical and one analogue input, how they are used would be down to the owner and what equipment they had, but at any rate, I'd imagine the intended use to be for someone with a couple of digital sources and one analogue. It's a bit short sighted to assume that they are 'computer speakers'. Perhaps if the interest increases in the future, USB might be re-instigated, but that rather depends on demand.

And your last point (more of the first really) How many sources do most people have? I'd say that the majority of users needs would be catered for.
First point: sound quality, there are better DACs. Second point, superfluous, though at least you accept it is limiting. Third point, Ashley you often mention using a mac/ipad device to stream. Last point: people have multiple sources, there's no getting away from that.

I believe the ADMs use a Wolfson 24bit / 192KHz WM8740 DAC chip supported by a Wolfson WM8805 S/PDIF interface chip. Both are well thought of, I recall the 8470 is used in the DACmagic? It is of course possible to take a good DAC and make a pigs ear out of the surrounding circuitry, but there is no reason to think that has been done with the ADM.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
You have to accept that the AVIs aren't perfect, Ash. It's the first step towards salvation ;)

By the way, I agree (and said) that the active speakers do tend to lack in inputs - the Dynaudios, for example, have only one set of RCAs, one optical but do have a USB. For the others you often need a preamp, which is probably the best way to go in terms on inputs. The downside is that you still have the same number of boxes.

jjgreenwood

May 6, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
You have to accept that the AVIs aren't perfect, Ash. It's the first step towards salvation ;)

By the way, I agree (and said) that the active speakers do tend to lack in inputs - the Dynaudios, for example, have only one set of RCAs, one optical but do have a USB. For the others you often need a preamp, which is probably the best way to go in terms on inputs. The downside is that you still have the same number of boxes.

I think the adm speakers have been recommended because I am using 1 digital source and they fall into budget. Whilst there is a lot of noise about them on the Internet in this thread I have asked for advice for myself not for other people. If there are any downsides for my particular situation please mention them but there is no point arguing that they are not suitable because they don't have a set of inputs I am never planning on using.

For clarity I have a blu ray and a stream from a nas to connect to a hifi, it is possible for the blu ray to stream through the tv. The big question mark is whether you believe a dedicated streamer from linn or naim or similar would be better than my dac plugged into a secondhand amp, or should I use active speakers.

if its a secondhand amp then the existing caiman gator will be the dac and Pmc db1+ speakers will be used. If its a streaming naim/Cyrus/CA/linn device I can bin off the dac, if its the adm setup the whole lot gets sold.

the adm setup is most expensive at £2200

the naim or equivalent is £1700 - £1900

a secondhand amp would be £1000 for the sake of argument (clearly depends what amp it is)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Normally the best way forward would be to listen and compare. Unfortunately, with ADM you can't do that. Ash prefers you take the leap of faith - documented on his forum - so it's up to you.

Bear in mind, on the other hand, if you go down to the AVI HQ, you'll get a free meal out of it :) .

John Duncan

Am presuming the OP is in the UK, where there are a small number of dealers who stock the ADM9.1s (in various guises) and the sub, so that ^^ is only true for the 40s, which can only be auditioned at AVI's factory or in other owners' homes, as far as I'm aware.

TRENDING THREADS