high end turntables - worth it ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

vinyl and turntables, i believe, is a whole world of hifi in itself.

the turntable can be upgraded in many ways such as motors, tone arm, platter, cartridge etc.

some of the high end turntables look like works of art with sky high prices to match !

i have read that vinyl record play back has no ceiling, as such, as there is a constant upgrade path if your bank account allows.

therefore is this true or has vinyl play back got its limits as well ?

TrevC

Once you have a deck with a quiet motor, a good friction free arm and a decent cartridge with a shibata or line contact stylus you've cracked it. No need to have something the size of a steam engine.

D

Deleted member 188516

Once you have a deck with a quiet motor, a good friction free arm and a decent cartridge with a shibata or line contact stylus you've cracked it. No need to have something the size of a steam engine.

what would such a set up (brand new) cost ?

abacus

Vinyl has a limit on what you can get out; however getting everything out is the art as being a mechanical system there are a boat load of things that can go wrong, which is why there is such a wide price range. (Just remember that the law of diminishing returns still applies)

NOTE: A good CD player or Flac file (Lossless) with a correctly mastered master will blow even the best and most expensive vinyl system out of the water, but just like a lot of folks prefer classic cars over modern ones (Even though they are inferior) the same applies to vinyl.

Bill

TrevC

Debatable, but starting as it were by persons that appear to have their own preconceived ideas I will not go any further.
Persons?

But go on. Debate. That was the point. Would you agree that the accurate tracing of the groove is the most important aspect of a record deck, assuming that other aspects of it are good?

D

Deleted member 116933

HMV can........25-30 quid each for some of their albums last time I was in there :(
(Same albums often around a fiver on CD).

I don't really mind paying it though TBH, what i have problem with is digital downloads costing a 10'er (if your not buying the CD)

What really becomes a bargain and I've had it few is when the record comes with a download code and that code offers 24/96 downloads its only a few minds and it pot luck what they offer.

Reactions: Gray

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
HMV can........25-30 quid each for some of their albums last time I was in there :(
(Same albums often around a fiver on CD).
I intend to upgrade my turntable at some point hopefully this year. But I have no intention of purchasing new albums.
For me, it's having the opportunity to play the small (50 or so) number of albums myself and my wife purchased during our late teens and into our early relationship. This is the nostalgia.
Within reason, and within my budget, I see nothing wrong with trying to achieve a good sound in this format, and I am not trying to compete with a digital sound.

D

Deleted member 188516

Vinyl has a limit on what you can get out; however getting everything out is the art as being a mechanical system there are a boat load of things that can go wrong, which is why there is such a wide price range. (Just remember that the law of diminishing returns still applies)

NOTE: A good CD player or Flac file (Lossless) with a correctly mastered master will blow even the best and most expensive vinyl system out of the water, but just like a lot of folks prefer classic cars over modern ones (Even though they are inferior) the same applies to vinyl.

Bill

so basically, despite there being many ways to "tweak" a turntable, vinyl play back does have a performance ceiling and therefore the mega costing (and impressive looking) turntables are more works of art than genuine advancements in sound quality.

D

Deleted member 188516

Basically you should just stop system worrying and realise that the reason the grass looks greener is because it has more bullshi* in the soil.
Try and enjoy the music.

just asking questions on hifi kit on a hifi forum nothing more...

Reactions: jonathanRD

Jimboo

I think the word is inanity . Can you be an inananist?
Do you constantly need to be reassured of your own beliefs , thoughts , Is actually having an opinion not condoned as the gospel by the majority so very, very important to you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
I think the word is inanity . Can you be an inananist?
Do you constantly need to be reassured of your own beliefs , thoughts , Is actually having an opinion not condoned as the gospel by the majority so very, very important to you?
He is only asking because he has his own preconceived ideas as to what is right and enjoys trying to tell others they are talking rubbish.
You simply have to look at all the other threads he has started as an example.
He has to be very careful in the way he continues.

D

Deleted member 188516

He is only asking because he has his own preconceived ideas as to what is right and enjoys trying to tell others they are talking rubbish.
He has to be very careful in the way he continues.

when have i said others are talking rubbish ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts