High End Sub: JL Audio Fathom F113

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
CaptHowdy said:
MUSICRAFT said:
ideal av said:
the Fathoms are simply wonderful subs and the Gotham is monstrous

Hi Alan

JL Audio's Fathom sub woofers are indeed wonderful
smiley-smile.gif
Frightening :twisted: Based on what i've heard with the Fathom sub woofers i dread to think the performance level their Gotham sub woofer must be capable of :twisted: :twisted:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Or you could buy two SVS SB13 Ultra subwoofers at 1/3 of the cost of the Gotham and probably not be that far off the overall performance. In fact you can probably better it in some ways as you can seperate the SVS subwoofers and most likely acheive a flatter overall response. Then you can sit back and enjoy them safe in the knowledge that you have just saved over £7000.

Or if you were really serious about your bass you could go with a Quattro stack of DXD12012 subwoofers and still have over £3000 in your pocket and no doubt have performance way beyond what two Gothams could achieve.

I doubt that JL make bad subwoofers but they just do not seem like good value for money to me. Looking impressive does not help balance the price vs performance ratio.

Hi CaptHowdy

I hope you'll not mind me asking but -

Are you an AV trade member?

Are you related to an AV trade member?

I ask because some of the contents of your posts look similar.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure the new KK sub would destroy the F113 as it stands, for shear slam and depth and outright SPL, well it is just the better sub and it costs less so I know which one I would go for ;)

JohnHolmes

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
ideal av said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
ideal av said:
"Anyone can buy two DXD12012 subwoofers for the same price as the F113"

and your point of this is?

you can buy 2 Ford Focus`s for the same price as 1 BMW 3 series, does that make the Ford better? or is it just cheaper?

I think his point is that when you're comparing four high quality 12" drivers against one high quality 13.5" driver, there's certain laws of physics that can't be ignored.

Your car analogy is a void one, as there's no benefit to using two Ford Focii together.

i`m actually trying to post a pic of a KK quality driver that your referring to, but it won`t allow me to, if anyone wants to see it click on the link below

http://s480.beta.photobucket.com/user/valbriscoe/media/cid_image002_jpg01CDBF31.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/valbriscoe/media/cid_image002_jpg01CDBF31.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=13526360314300746887681996065

I was trying to ask, what was the problem with the driver?

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CaptHowdy

I hope you'll not mind me asking but -

Are you an AV trade member?

Are you related to an AV trade member?

I ask because some of the contents of your posts look similar.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

No. No. Similar to who? Not quite sure what your getting at.

My comments are mostly based on spec comparison between JL and SVS as well as what seems the best value for money right now which is KK. The recent reviews say a lot more than I ever could but it seems that any one with an opinion on various models is better keeping that opinion to them selves.

But if you want more options there is Paradigm and Velodyne that could also be brought in to the equation. Sub15 .. Sub25 .. Sub1 .. Sub2 .. DD12+ .. DD15+ .. DD18+

There are even options from Seaton or Power Sound Audio or JTR that can be imported at much lower prices than the JL can be purchased for.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
The only issue i would have with a JL Audio Fathom is it's not made by Ken Kreisel :grin:

OOOOOOOOHHHH i must be a FANBOY :dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts