High End Sub: JL Audio Fathom F113

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I thought id revive this thread as i now have a JL Audio f112 sub in my system.

The fit and finish of the sub are first rate, and it sounds amazing in my 2ch system.
It produces very deep, tight bass that can keep up with my ATC's.

5537202975_d881747b7c_z.jpg

A

Anonymous

2 BK Monoliths and be done with it.

I am sure you would see your walls cracking, and would leave some extra cash

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Tight, controlled deep bass in a compact sealed enclosure is what im after. Not maximum output in a large ported box for home cinema use.

Ported subs are hard to position optimally and get a smooth response.

And 2 seperate sources of bass can cause phase issues, especially when ports are used.

you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Thats a nice sub MattSPL. Did you get it imported?

I've always wondered what a sub would be like in my system but really i need more cone area and more SPL at a meter.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi Shooter69

Yes, i imported it.
Its a 230 volt model from JL Audio's international distributor.

What speakers do you have that you'd partner a sub with?

The f112(12 inch driver) will outperform or equal pretty much any compact sealed 15 inch sub, and the 13.5 inch f113 will outperform or equal an 18 inch compact sealed sub in sheer output and depth.

But if its for a 2ch system, its the quality and speed of the bass your after.

My f112 is barely ticking over at very high levels in my setup, so i can only imagine what it could do cranked up in a home cinema system.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
IT would be for a 2 channel system running with a pair of Totem Mani 2 sig's in a 8 x 6 room with vaulted ceiling's. I would definitely have to listen to any sub in the system to hear if the outlay was worth it. It would have to push some serious air!!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Nice speakers Shooter69

If you can get a listen to a JL f112/f113, im sure you'll be impressed.

Ive read on American forums that people have replaced Rel Stentor 3 sub's with JL Audio f112's, and replaced Rel Studio 3's with f113's.

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
zinger79:I have just sent an email to SVSound regarding shipping their PB13 to Indonesia. Frankly this one looks more "convincing" than the M&K as the M&K sub is also already 10 years old.

The MX350 has been out around 10 years, but there has now been 4 upgrades to this subwoofer.The bass drivers have been exchanged for 'Super Fast' ones, and the current version uses a BASH digital amplifier. I wouldn't rule it out based on the age of the original.

After all, what has changed in subwoofer design in 20 years?
emotion-1.gif
Well driver technology has moved on quite a bit in the last 20 years. That said, I personally, having owned an Ultra and the MK subs, wouldnt match the Ultra to sometihing like the MK sats, MKs own sub is a much better match, even though it wont go quite as deep as an Ultra. Its well worth the trade off IMO with sats. The MK subs are still great, and Ive owned a dual 15 inch driver sub that bettered both. When I had to downsize, the MK was the only serious choice for me, I love the musicality and general all round performance.

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
can I revive this thread

JL Audio now has a UK distributor and a few UK dealers

the Fathoms are simply wonderful subs and the Gotham is monstrous

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
can I revive this thread

A

Anonymous

ideal av said:
can I revive this thread

Wow! Talk about desperate.

Feel free to revive it. But we all know you are doing so because the DXD12012 has just got two amazing reviews. Clearly you are feeling upset that there is a far superior subwoofer to the ones you are vouching for. So you have to go and revive a thread from a year and 8 months ago to try and drum up some business.

But seriously. Anyone can buy two DXD12012 subwoofers for the same price as the F113.

Game over. :boohoo:

JohnHolmes

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Why all the hate for the jl subs cap? They are very highly rated on the USA forums. Who surprisingly aren't that impressed by the new KK subs.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JohnHolmes said:
Why all the hate for the jl subs cap? They are very highly rated on the USA forums. Who surprisingly aren't that impressed by the new KK subs.

May I interject here?

The reason the Americans haven't given a warm welcome is because of the specs of the DXD12012. Unless a sub runs into several thousand watts rms and has drivers bigger than a dustbin lid, they're not interested. The AVS forums are full of those who are chasing the lowest frequency that can tickle the plaque on your teeth. But in the pursuit of the lowest of the low, many other aspects of the humble subwoofer has been forgotten.

These aspects have now been revived in Ken's new designs. This has an effect of silencing those who doubted Ken's comeback, and confirming the beliefs of those who never doubted.

JL subs are actually better value for money than many other subs out there at the moment (as touched on in one of my blogs), but in value for money terms, they still don't come close to the DXD12012 at the moment. That might seem a bit of a promo thing, but look at what you get for your money and it all speaks for itself. How many dual 12's can you get for less than £2k? How many subs can match the driver surface area of two DXD12012's for less than £4k? A single 13.5" or four 12"? For a long time, I have felt that the value for money aspect (for the end user) of the subwoofer business has long disappeared. That's about to change.

But, at the end of the day, everyone wants different things from their subs. Many want ultimate depth, some want speed, some want SPL, some want detail. And we all have our own ideas of what value for money means...

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
JohnHolmes said:

May I interject here?

The reason the Americans haven't given a warm welcome is because of the specs of the DXD12012. Unless a sub runs into several thousand watts rms and has drivers bigger than a dustbin lid, they're not interested. The AVS forums are full of those who are chasing the lowest frequency that can tickle the plaque on your teeth. But in the pursuit of the lowest of the low, many other aspects of the humble subwoofer has been forgotten.

These aspects have now been revived in Ken's new designs. This has an effect of silencing those who doubted Ken's comeback, and confirming the beliefs of those who never doubted.

JL subs are actually better value for money than many other subs out there at the moment (as touched on in one of my blogs), but in value for money terms, they still don't come close to the DXD12012 at the moment. That might seem a bit of a promo thing, but look at what you get for your money and it all speaks for itself. How many dual 12's can you get for less than £2k? How many subs can match the driver surface area of two DXD12012's for less than £4k? A single 13.5" or four 12"? For a long time, I have felt that the value for money aspect (for the end user) of the subwoofer business has long disappeared. That's about to change.

But, at the end of the day, everyone wants different things from their subs. Many want ultimate depth, some want speed, some want SPL, some want detail. And we all have our own ideas of what value for money means...

+1 to that. Well said. It's different horses for courses. The DXD on its own is fantastic value but 2 of them together is even better value!!!

A

Anonymous

JohnHolmes said:

Yes JL is highly rated on the US forums and by many people who have not actually heard them. These same people also hate KK subwoofers and have not actually heard them.

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
what is it with you Capt

hide behind a user name and sling accusations around, you are nothing more than a keyboard warrior hiding in a corner

you have made a comment about the american guys in another post, i`m not interested in what they have to say its what happens here that is more important surely.

why do you feel i`m desparate, i`m only doing what everyone else does which is talk about products they offer, what is wrong with that, if i`m desparate then so is everyone else who does this, and every does, if you saw my accounts you`d know i`m not desparate.

and if you feel i`m upset for any reason you really are in cloud cuckoo land mate

what I don`t do is hide who I am, you certainly can`t say the same.

yes I know KK subs have just received a good review and deserved to do, I have heard them, infact apart from its owner I was probably the second person in the UK to have heard one so I do know what i`m talking about here, do you?

i`ve actually had one here for 6 weeks, have you had or even heard a JL Audio sub to compare, or it is all just conjecture and crap that you talk

the JL Audio F212 has just recieved reference status with another extremely well respected publication but you didn`t here anyone shouting it from the rooftops did you, unlike all the hype from the KK fanboys.

With respect we don`t need to thank you

you will never hear me knock a KK sub, for gods sake the man is a genius and i`ve been brought up on M&K and MK personally for the last 7 years so I do know what i`m on about here

you really need to climb down from your podium mate, we know how good KK are as you keep ramming it down everyones throats and you seriously don`t need to do this, let the product speak for itself why don`t you

"Anyone can buy two DXD12012 subwoofers for the same price as the F113"

and your point of this is?

you can buy 2 Ford Focus`s for the same price as 1 BMW 3 series, does that make the Ford better? or is it just cheaper?

sorry to all the Focus owners here, i`m not knocking them honestly just using as an example.

chill out a bit and allow to forum to be a friendly place, rather than a place to be allowed to pounce on anyone you see fit and poke fun at.

its the likes of yourself one of the reasons I don`t post here as much as do, but thats maybe what you want.........

A

Anonymous

ideal av said:
you can buy 2 Ford Focus`s for the same price as 1 BMW 3 series, does that make the Ford better? or is it just cheaper?

Except that it is rather pointless buying 2 cars when you can only drive one at a time. What is it with you and car analogies for AV? Oh wait.. JL.. car subs.. now I get it.. :rofl:

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
CaptHowdy said:
ideal av said:

Except that it is rather pointless buying 2 cars when you can only drive one at a time. What is it with you and car analogies for AV? Oh wait.. JL.. car subs.. now I get it.. :rofl:

seriously Capt

if thats the best you can do, then I rest my case, oh! and btw, FWIW JL Audio actually make the best and most respected car subs in the world as well.

i`m not speaking from personall ownership though, it just what i`ve read so that must make it right...........

here`s another car analogy........... dipstick

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ideal av said:

I think his point is that when you're comparing four high quality 12" drivers against one high quality 13.5" driver, there's certain laws of physics that can't be ignored.

Your car analogy is a void one, as there's no benefit to using two Ford Focii together.

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
ideal av said:

I think his point is that when you're comparing four high quality 12" drivers against one high quality 13.5" driver, there's certain laws of physics that can't be ignored.

Your car analogy is a void one, as there's no benefit to using two Ford Focii together.

i`m actually trying to post a pic of a KK quality driver that your referring to, but it won`t allow me to, if anyone wants to see it click on the link below

http://s480.beta.photobucket.com/user/valbriscoe/media/cid_image002_jpg01CDBF31.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/valbriscoe/media/cid_image002_jpg01CDBF31.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=13526360314300746887681996065

A

Anonymous

ideal av said:
CaptHowdy said:
ideal av said:

seriously Capt

if thats the best you can do, then I rest my case, oh! and btw, FWIW JL Audio actually make the best and most respected car subs in the world as well.

i`m not speaking from personall ownership though, it just what i`ve read so that must make it right...........

It is far from best I can do but I was not really trying. I did not really feel your drivel required much attention. You accuse me of hiding behind an ID and being a keyboard warrior hiding in the corner. But after witnessing the depths you will stoop to when trying to ruin another persons reputation.. on another forum.. it seems to me that you should stop accusing people.. that you have never met.. of doing things you have no proof of. You yourself are trying to be the keyboard warrior you accuse others of being by making those kind of posts. So why do you feel that you can do and say as you please.. regardless of the consequences.. but then demand that people not do the things that you feel you are entitled to do.

ideal av said:

Hi Alan

JL Audio's Fathom sub woofers are indeed wonderful
smiley-smile.gif
Frightening :twisted: Based on what i've heard with the Fathom sub woofers i dread to think the performance level their Gotham sub woofer must be capable of :twisted: :twisted:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Can we all stop the name-calling, 'interesting' marketing strategies and 'who said what to whom on another forum' and try to keep this to a reasonable discussion`?

If not, this sub thread is going to get deep-sixed.

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
ideal av said:

Hi Alan

JL Audio's Fathom sub woofers are indeed wonderful
smiley-smile.gif
Frightening :twisted: Based on what i've heard with the Fathom sub woofers i dread to think the performance level their Gotham sub woofer must be capable of :twisted: :twisted:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Or you could buy two SVS SB13 Ultra subwoofers at 1/3 of the cost of the Gotham and probably not be that far off the overall performance. In fact you can probably better it in some ways as you can seperate the SVS subwoofers and most likely acheive a flatter overall response. Then you can sit back and enjoy them safe in the knowledge that you have just saved over £7000.

Or if you were really serious about your bass you could go with a Quattro stack of DXD12012 subwoofers and still have over £3000 in your pocket and no doubt have performance way beyond what two Gothams could achieve.

I doubt that JL make bad subwoofers but they just do not seem like good value for money to me. Looking impressive does not help balance the price vs performance ratio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts