Hifiman HE-400 Vs. AKG K701

abookcase

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Looking at getting one of these two headphones.

I currently DO NOT have a headphone amp, so was thinking the HE-400's may be better suited. Most music listening will be inside, however v. occasionally at an airport using an i-Pod.

I listen to some Dance, Coldplay, Snow patrol etc...

Thanks!

Charlie.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
in fairness the K701s are way more sensitive than HE-400s. but Hi-Fi Man wrote that their HE-400s can be driven by an iPod because usually their headphones are notoriously insensitive (around 85 dB which is very low for a pair of headphones) and you'll normally need a beefy headphone amp to drive them. the reason for insensitivity is they are planar magnetic drivers, rather than dynamic drivers. if you knew anything about planar speakers (electrostatic or planar magnetic) or indeed knew how they sound like you'd definitely not be looking at dynamic drivers. I'd choose Hi-Fi Man without even considering other options.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Can you explain how you came to be looking at these two models? For one thing, don't even consider the K701 for even occasional outdoor use - totally open, it is not so much that you will leak sound to others but that your listening will be ruined by external sound. Waste of time.

I haven't heard the Hifiman but from what I have heard of the brand, the sound will be totally different to AKG. So, why these two? How do you expect to get decent advice when your choice has no apparent basis?

abookcase

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The basis is that the K701's are quite a bit cheaper than the HE-400's. Sure, they are Planar mangetic (and yes, I do know the difference!), but is it worth the extra price hike?

Also, the He-400's are open too - although as I said, they would be used primarily indoors, so this shouldn't matter.

A

Anonymous

datay said:
I haven't heard the Hifiman but from what I have heard of the brand, the sound will be totally different to AKG. So, why these two? How do you expect to get decent advice when your choice has no apparent basis?

Very helpful....

I have the Q701 headphones and would recommend them. But not for outdoor use and you may also want an amp.

I believe that HifiMan headphones are actually a popular upgrade for people with K/Q701/2s. At a Hifi show last year I listened to a large variety of headphones, including the full HifiMan range, and if I was looking at upgrading I would want to audition the T1 and HD800 but the HifiMan HE500 would be my early favourites. The entire HiFiMan range impressed me more than any other headphones I listened to. Why? Great detailed sound, flat response, full of energy, bit like my AKGs.

Either would be a great choice. My money out of the two would be for the AKGs as these are a bargain if you shop around.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts