HIFI setup - B&O versus Naim/pmc wafer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

quite new to proper hifi so go easy. Refurbishing new house so had a chance to do some wiring and was as such looking to upgrade HIFI system. Currently using iphone/macbook with lap top speakers + sub (very small flat) so it's a very big upgrade!

Had been looking at getting a B&O system but got introduced to Naim (and HD music) whilst doing my research at a couple of local dealers and this has made me backtrack. I'll admit the ''lifestyle'' look is important to keep wife happy plus I have a pathological aversion to visible wires. But sound is much more important. budget is around 3k and some decent deals have come up lately so hoping so get it sorted.

So after a lot of internet searching and have narrowed it down to 2 routes...

both controlled using an ithing

1) AVA media Rip n Play --> Naimuniti --> Artcoustic Diablo Monitor X2 + sub OR PMC wafer 2s

2) AVA Media Rip Play --> Beo playmaker --> Beo6002 OR beolab 3

my questions are:-

1) Living in the North East there are actually no Artcoustic dealers for a couple of hundred miles so can't compare and none of the dealers seem to stock the same stuff for comparison. ultimately i appreciate this is subjective and probably the differences aren't that great (or are they?) but i would still be grateful for your thoughts on the above 2 choices with your experience.

2) I've been reading about what the power ratings on speakers actually mean and the Active Vs passive speaker etc. I have to say still slightly confused. For instance power rating for beolabs which are active was '250W' but i couldn't imagine they are better than the uniti at '50w per channel' through the same 8ohms so i can't even do a direct theoretical comparison. If anyone could clarify that for me i'd be very grateful I imagine things like DAC -would be better in the uniti than the playmaker too?

3) can i mix and match? is there much point in running a uniti through a Beo6002 for instance? I thorougly expect audiophiles might not quite see the point in this but please bear with me!! I guess i'm wondering if there is anything gained from running the uniti through active speakers.

your thoughts very much appreciated

thanks again

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Mellowmiles,

I cannot comment on the Naim/PMC wafer combo, but i can comment on the B&O system you are looking at. Dont believe the internet bashers saying the b&o's are lifestyle, I can assure you that b&o speakers and systems look fantastic aswel as sound awesome, I have a full b&o system and i have had them for 18 years and to this day they still sound awesome and puts a lovely smile on my face each time i hear them, I would highly recommend you get the beolab 3 speakers as they have the accoustic lens, wich means crisper sound without any distortion, so you can crank the volume up without the speakers struggling on the top end of the volume range, also with active speakers they have there own amplifiers in them which again means clear and precise sound, the beolab 3 speakers look ever so small but believe me they can easily fill a large room with fantastic quality sound. You can pick up a second hand pair for about £1500, which is awesome value for money as they will last you endless amounts of years. I would also highly recommend adding a sub to the system which will allow the beolab 3's to concentrate on the midrage and treble, probably beolab 2 or 11, again second hand would represent better value for money.

Any questions let me know

PS: I would recommend auditioning the speakers before parting with your hard earned cash

A

Anonymous

Haleem you lifesaver!!

thank you very much. So you think the beolab 3s + sub are alright for stereo listening? I had spoken to someone who mentioned ICE power being amazing also hence the 6002 do you think the 3s are better? the 3s do look nice and understated though taste wise i think it takes a little getting used to when wall mounted!!

thanks again.

MM

A

Anonymous

Thanks Richard will let you guys know how I get on.

it's funny you mention AVI I was reading about Active Vs Passive and I read an article their site published which was partly what got me thinking. I haven't really seen any reviews by anyone other than members of their forum ergo one always wonders whether the prism through which they are seen (or heard) is slightly biased...

Now you've mentioned it though i'll have a do a bit more research!!

thanks again.

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a set of beolab 6000 but in a surround sound setup, they are awesome to, but my cousin has a full set of beolab 3's and to my ears they sound that much more crisper, vocals are more clearer, with the ICE power it has better amps built into the speaker, so the 3's do it for me, have you tried beolab 8000, they are awesome, these are used as my main front front speakers, these are going for about £1200-1700 on the used market and these are awesome aswel, again buy whatever speaker set you want second hand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts