HiFi on 12vDC - Please help!

chunksinjelly

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I do not claim to be extremely knowledgeable in hifi or electronics.

I have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, which has been in storage since I moved onto a narrowboat last year. The time has come to set up a hifi onboard, however, I want to run it all on 12V.
I am probably going to swap my hefty Arcam amp for a Temple Audio Bantam T-amp which is perfectly suited for efficient 12v operation, and the reviews are amazing.

To the point - I'm very very reluctantly considering downgrading my turntable too. I don't really want to let go of my Debut because I adore it, but I think it's my last resort. PLEASE prove me wrong.
As far as I can see, the turntable has a 9v motor. Therefore it could potentially run on 12v without mutilation. Am I right in thinking that? And if not why not? Would I need to modify the turntable somehow?

This is a subject that I have been fruitlessly researching for weeks with no luck. The last thing I want to do is buy some Crosley junk just for the convenience. I fully accept that if I have to modify my turntable in any way it would void the warranty.

No stupid answers like 'use an inverter' please (as if that hadn't crossed my mind).
Any helpful advice on this matter would be deeply appreciated.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
chunksinjelly said:
No stupid answers like 'use an inverter' please (as if that hadn't crossed my mind).Any helpful advice on this matter would be deeply appreciated.

And the risk of being thought stupid (you know how to charm people into answering, don't you?), couldn't you just use a 12V-9V step-down converter plugged into the turntable, in place of the standard power supply? Check with your local Pro-Ject distributor, but I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work.

+1

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
chunksinjelly said:
No stupid answers like 'use an inverter' please (as if that hadn't crossed my mind).Any helpful advice on this matter would be deeply appreciated.

At the risk of being thought stupid (you know how to charm people into answering, don't you?), couldn't you just use a 12V-9V step-down converter plugged into the turntable, in place of the standard power supply? Check with your local Pro-Ject distributor, but I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts