Hifi insurance advice.

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

just wondering if any 1 has got separate insurance to cover their hifi kit against accidental damage.

i have a lot of nephews and nieces visit my house so i live in a constant fear that one of them will either knock the speakers off the stands and with the cm6 i got an extra worry that they will try to take the tweeter off the cabinet.

hence considering insurance untill they are all grown up, that also include two of my very curious daughters.

many thanks

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all,

just wondering if any 1 has got separate insurance to cover their hifi kit against accidental damage.

i have a lot of nephews and nieces visit my house so i live in a constant fear that one of them will either knock the speakers off the stands and with the cm6 i got an extra worry that they will try to take the tweeter off the cabinet.

hence considering insurance untill they are all grown up, that also include two of my very curious daughters.

many thanks

no idea how much does it cost to insure audio but if this is a temporary solution and if insurance is too high and looks like your biggest worry are tweeters/ speakers maybe you shoud be looking to change the speakers for the ones with metal grilles?

As long as your hi-fi isn't stupidly expensive...it should be covered within a standard new for old insurance policy.I did ask my bank the last time I renewed my policy and all they said "is it worth over 15k?(the amount we're covered for)I replied no and they said it was covered just like the rest of my contents.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Sure, the content insurance covers already your audio, but.. let’s say you have pushed in tweeter and you make a claim.. they fix it, your insurance premium goes up.. wouldn’t be cheaper just to buy tweeter yourself and replace it?

Let’s say your B&W as a result of incident are completely broken and damaged, you make a claim.. all you get is equivalent speakers at a current market value of your few years old B&Ws, your premium goes up.

So maybe second hand speakers with metal grilles are not so terrible idea , especially when you could sell them once you’re done.

The best thing to do is just get the kids told..."This thing here and over here does not get touched..ok"...that's what I told my kids..but I have to say one of the wife's friends kids did push in a metal dome tweeter on my b&w 685's a while back....twice at £50 a pop.rascals.at least my pmc's have a protective grill over the tweeter and we don't really have any youngsters round at the moment..,well until we're grandparents.oh God I'm getting old.doh!

Jimmy the Saint

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
Some times a single item worth over a certain amount has to be listed to be covered, check your policy it's often £1500 so if it worth more than that list it.

James

jjbomber

lpv said:
Let’s say your B&W as a result of incident are completely broken and damaged, you make a claim.. all you get is equivalent speakers at a current market value of your few years old B&Ws, your premium goes up.

New for old. The policy holder gets a nice new pair of B&W speakers.

D

Deleted member 160668

I checked this when renewed mine last time (AA policy). They said only need to itemise it if any one piece is over £3k in value.

Dont think I'll ever need to worry about that then!!

Also if it helps... 99% of standard contents covers have 'accidental damage cover' to home entertainment equipment. So if a seperate ever got knocked off etc. you'd be fine. Although admittedly your premium would go up.

As others have said for something like a tweeter I probably wouldn't bother.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts