HiFi - AVR - where is the (most) Magic?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Currently I am very happy with my HiFi satisfied (though speakers might be upgraded to KEF R700). Now I am planning to bring in the HT into the set up. I tried few AVRs before and the best VFM right now, IMO, is Onkyo TX-NR709. The focus on movie SQ is only 25% and I am not bothered much as long as the AVR has pre-outs.

My question is where does the music listening magic mostly come from? Considering the few scenarios below. Assuming scenario one to be the top level satisfaction

1. 100% - Stereo DAC -> Stereo pre-power / Stereo Integrated

2. XX% - AVR as Stereo DAC -> Stereo pre-power / Stereo Integrated

3. XX% - AVR as Stereo DAC -> AVR as Pre-amp ->Stereo power / Stereo Integrated as Power amp

4. XX% - AVR as Stereo DAC -> AVR as Pre-amp ->AVR as Power Amp

BTW, I am not aware of any AVR which can be used a DAC only for purpose of music listening, as most of them having analogue pre-out which are after the pre-amp and then the tape / monitor outs which are before the pre-amp but only work with analogue sources.

Please let me know how worse the AVR scenarios are for music listening purposes compared to pure music set up.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Oh well, it appears to be me again!.....how are you getting on with your bass issues?

Right, to the matter in hand....all I can do is tell you how I am thinking:

- The first thing to do is get a home trial of the R700s which should sound exceedingly well.

- The best option is to keep the whole thing in separate rooms ie have a two channel room.

- The next best is to have the 2 channel separate, but within the AV system ie providing the Front L&R using the pre outs.

I don't know if I've totally picked you up right with what you want to achieve, but generally the Pre/Power/Dacs in an AV amp are not the best for 2 channel unless you spend a lot of money. Where possible you want to keep your 2 channel chain intact and only use the AV amp for AV .

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Cno! I know I can count on you!!

With the granite base plate, the Tannoys are doing unbelievable well. It is the most enjoyable system that I heard at any home till date !! (But with the possibility of the KEF R700 around the corner, I am guessing this will only be heightened!)

I have got an Onkyo 709 just to check how best I can integrated AVR into HiFi (rather than putting HiFi into AVR set up). I just did this and I am already hitting a bottle neck. I can put my Classe CAP-2100 in processor mode (acting as power amp instead of an integrated amp) and now I hear very noticeble loud hum from the front speakers. The DAC feeds the CAP-2100 with XLR and that is noise free. So, I am guessing there is a fault in my Classe on the processor mode (Thank god, I have 5 years warranty from Classe!). I have just shot an e-mail to my dealer to help me out with getting this rectified.

Having said this, my original post is becasue, I was curious where is the biggest bottleneck in an AVR based stereo set up. But with a limited noisy set up I have right now, some how the AVR does music so wrong, which I guess every one knows already ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I hope you find out what's going on....which sounds like some kind of earth problem (but I'm far from being an expert).

Tell me, did the plants really help with the acoustics?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Nah.. not really.. may be the pots are really small to do any damage control. Wife got little irritated for stowing the plants into a corner.. :(

Now the plants stay between the tv and tannoy speakers (like before!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts