Hifi and domestic harmony

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Evening all...

I am either about to pack up my M&k 750thx and denon avc 10se amp and sell them on or put them in the loft for another time...

See i got married and moved in with the now Mrs JJ ...

The idea of a large gold amp and 5 speakers and a 12inch sub in the front room fills her with dread ..

It was bad enough getting her to accept the 42 inch plasma ...

So i have a plan to go back and start again with a simple domestic friendly system of seprates ...

I have seen and liked the Rega Brio R..witch seems a good deal at the price ..

Speakers are a sore point but if i get a set of simple good looking floorstanders that i like the sound of and she likes the look of it should all be good ...

Cd wise i am not sure on and adding my laptop makes sense too....

What do you folks do for a happy home and still have a decent sound ...

I am going to miss the damn sub thought ,,lol

Paul.

Compromise. We have a very feminine bedroom (with candles and ornaments and assorted boxes with other boxes in them. What is it with girls and posh boxes?), and in return I get a living room full of speakers :)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Just get a sub that comes in whichever glossy or wooden veneer finish matches the living room and use it as a coffee table next to the armchair lol

Seriously tho, there is always room for multichannel speakers in the living room. It's all about compromise. You could do worse than the wall mounted PMC speakers as rears, and two front speakers (setting the amp to phantom centre).

Paul Hobbs said:
Compromise. We have a very feminine bedroom (with candles and ornaments and assorted boxes with other boxes in them. What is it with girls and posh boxes?), and in return I get a living room full of speakers :)

+1 for Compromise. It also helps if the boxes with boxes inside them have chocolate inside them as well, I have found! :)

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
The way i put it to my girlfriend(now Fiance) is that this is my hobby. I used to be into my cars(i still am but don't own one) and had a Subaru Impreza STI. She'd much rather i had big speakers than be out in the car on the back roads like i used to.

I got these past her. You have the equipment, don't give it up. It would be a bit different if you were looking to go from a nice hifi free room to a monster Av setup, but its already there. You'll never get that sub back if you let it go now.

6675295461_8224f6af72_z.jpg

A

Anonymous

It is not set up yet ...

I had it set up in my last 2 flats but i moved in to HER!! house ..lol

Paul.

j-j said:
I had it set up in my last 2 flats but i moved in to HER!! house ..lol

Does she own it or rent it? If its rented and you pay half you have a leg to stand on. If she is your landlord, I sudgest you go with Chebby's fetching clutch bag speaker!

MattSPL said:

Matt, there is much you can teach us! My speakers need more, ahem, girth :rofl:

A

Anonymous

I cant have the Bose as i am not middle class and dont have dinner parties and play Sade(showing my age)in the backdround ..lol

A

Anonymous

Alears said:
shropshire lad said:
chebby said:

What's the problem with that ? It goes nicely with the chintz three piece suite and matching curtains !

Aye! Tastefully framed by the three flying ducks on the wall behind as well eh?

Are these flying ducks a new acoustic treatment i am not aware of ..:O

SteveR750

j-j said:
Alears said:
shropshire lad said:
chebby said:

What's the problem with that ? It goes nicely with the chintz three piece suite and matching curtains !

Possibly if once were real, and now stuffed. Much more attractive than egg boxes....

A

Anonymous

I want to thank who ever posted a link to the Ikeahacked site ...

The wife is waining :> ;)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I feel your pain j-j. I'm in a similar situation.

In our old house we were happy with all the hi-fi kit in the living room, but we've moved to a slightly more stylish flat and even I have to admit the look of the place would be spoiled with our current gear.

I'm looking at various options: Active speakers, small standmounters plus a sub hidden behind something, wall mounted jobs, petite floorstanders and various other things. Can't really make up my mind what to do, or whether to do anything at all, as whatever I do will be a compromise.

The Denon CEOL, AVI ADMs, some of the smaller PMCs and one or two other things have been 'approved', but I'm currently sulking as she really didn't like my preferred B&W CMs! She'd go along with it if I really wanted them, but she's spent a fair bit on this place, so I don't want to make her put up with something she doesn't like.

Thank goodness for iPods :)

SteveR750 said:
j-j said:
Alears said:
shropshire lad said:
chebby said:

Possibly if once were real, and now stuffed. Much more attractive than egg boxes....

That takes me back! I hardly think he is going to get a wall of egg boxes approved by his other half, so the ducks it is then! PS Rumour has it that Anaglypta wallpaper has the same effect...only on less of a scale!!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Alears said:
SteveR750 said:
j-j said:
Alears said:
shropshire lad said:
chebby said:

That takes me back! I hardly think he is going to get a wall of egg boxes approved by his other half, so the ducks it is then! PS Rumour has it that Anaglypta wallpaper has the same effect...only on less of a scale!!

I really think Anaglypta wallpaper would be the wrong choice in this case . You would get a much warmer , softer , and dare I say it , fuzzier , sound if you were to use flock wallpaper .

A

Anonymous

I had a 7.1 ex system working when i was single ...lol

Now ,nothing ...lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts