Hi-Fi speakers or soundbar

bosbewoner

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi All, I need some 'fundi' advice, please. I'm old school and grew up with the music from the sixties and seventies way before TV and surround sound etc. I still have my original Marantz 1060 amplifier but unfortunately, the speakers were lost with a break-in. My question - best to buy two hi-fi speakers or a soundbar? I'm not too big into movies but still love the music and obviously like the bluetooth connectivity you find with soundbars. With the amp, I guess there will need to be lots of wired to hide but, I can also rip out my collection of LP records I still have and get a new turntable? Some advice and thoughts, please. I don't wan to spend more than 10k

I'm confused by a budget of 10k. Is that Yen or something?

A sound bar typically connects to a telly. A pair of speakers will connect to your old Marantz amp. Completely different functions.

If you want your TV through hifi speakers via the amp, the telly will need an analogue line out. Not all have that (our five year old Sony does; our two year old Samsung doesn't)!

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Speakers, without question. A soundbar is typically something to improve on the inbuilt speakers of a TV and is very much a design compomised by the dimesions dicated by such a product.

You may be better started a new thread with a title to attract for the correct help. Size of room, clarifying budget, listening habits and as much information as possible would help. As would where you're based as some brands are not always stocked globally.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
If you mean 10k in dollars or £ you are out of my league, but a few observations. If using a soundbar/base and wanting to play cds etc you need to buy one with inputs for your sources as well as tv. If you intend to use stereo speakers and want the tv sound through them as well as your music sources you will need an amplifier and a standalone dac to convert the (usually) optical digital signal from the tv into stereo. There are also an increasing number of stereo amps that have built in dacs and therefore accept digital inputs. I think it might benefit you to go into a store/hifi shop to discuss what options are available before you think of buying anything, as I'm not sure you actually know what's available or what you really want.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts